H75 Creamback in ED combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phantasm II

Reaction score
That’s it, that’s the question. I have a 27” ED 1x12 combo that I really like but I wanna swap out the speaker for something with a more open/present/crunchy upper midrange, and tighter lows, especially at lower volumes.

The H75 seems like a solid bet…I’m not too worried about the power rating because even with a loudish drummer in a four-piece punk rock band, I’m still between 10 and 11 o’clock on 45-watt mode. I can’t imagine a scenario in which I’d need to go past noon in 90-watt mode and even if I did, I’d probably hook up an extension cab. Maybe I’m wrong though! I’d like to hear the experience of others if they’re out there.

Other speakers I’m considering:
Weber Gray Wolf (75 or 100w versions)
Weber Blue Dog (75 or 100w versions)
WGS Retro 30
WGS DW-75
WGS G12C
Fane F70 or F90
Any number of Eminence Red Coats (I have a quad of Private Jacks in my Marshall cab and they might be my favorite speaker ever, was thinking about CV-75, Wizard, or Governor)

Not opposed to a V30, but there’s a lot of talk about how V30s were really good, got really bad, and now are pretty good again. I don’t want to spend a lot time looking for a “good” one.

That’s it, that’s the question. I have a 27” ED 1x12 combo that I really like but I wanna swap out the speaker for something with a more open/present/crunchy upper midrange, and tighter lows, especially at lower volumes.

The H75 seems like a solid bet…I’m not too worried about the power rating because even with a loudish drummer in a four-piece punk rock band, I’m still between 10 and 11 o’clock on 45-watt mode. I can’t imagine a scenario in which I’d need to go past noon in 90-watt mode and even if I did, I’d probably hook up an extension cab. Maybe I’m wrong though! I’d like to hear the experience of others if they’re out there.

Other speakers I’m considering:
Weber Gray Wolf (75 or 100w versions)
Weber Blue Dog (75 or 100w versions)
WGS Retro 30
WGS DW-75
WGS G12C
Fane F70 or F90
Any number of Eminence Red Coats (I have a quad of Private Jacks in my Marshall cab and they might be my favorite speaker ever, was thinking about CV-75, Wizard, or Governor)

Not opposed to a V30, but there’s a lot of talk about how V30s were really good, got really bad, and now are pretty good again. I don’t want to spend a lot time looking for a “good” one.
I’m definitely a fan of the Creamback H75 and it does sound the way you described in my 212 cab. I also have a 112 cab with the WGS Retro 30 and have swapped it back and forth with the H75. For me the H75 is slightly better with a bit more presence than the Retro 30, but both are great speakers.

For years, I used 2 WGS British Lead speakers and just adored the tone. Since then, I've moved on to using both an EVM12L and Celestion Redback. Those 2 combined give me exactly what I didn't know I was missing with the WGS pair. Hard to describe. I do like the Creamback, though. I may have to give that a shot.

Latest posts

Back