V-Twin or something similar for "Recto" voicing?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsrName

Reaction score
Anyone use a pedal to get a "Recto" sound? Although, I'm lovin' my MKIV, I also like the voicing of the rectifiers. I really like the tone Adam Jones of Tool gets and also A Perfect Circle. Not the highest gain, but the voicing is there.

I'm thinking maybe a V-twin? A lot of people complain that there isn't enough gain, but that's ok with me, I just want the Recto voicing. Does this pedal have it? Any others to consider?

And before anyone says: "Just buy a DR", I don't have the cash for another amp, nor would I want to lug 2 amps around anyway. So, I'm just looking for a pedal such as the V-twin that will give me that sound. Thanks fellow boogiers!

V-Twin or an MI Audio Tube Zone (the 6 knob version) will get you mighty close.

I owned a 1979 Mark IIa about 5 or 6 years ago and I wanted to do the same thing--sound more recto-like. I bought a V-Twin and what I soon found out was that no matter what I did to try and get it to sound this way it was still a Mark IIa in charactor. I also @ the same time had a little Mesa Subway Rocket Reverb that I used my V-Twin with in the Contour mode and had the same thing happen. You might get some of the Recto gain characteristics with the V-Twin but when it comes down to it your over-all amp feel is still a Mark 4. The Power-Amps are completely different. Where the Mark 4 is a little more on the hot and mid-sy side of things, the Recto in the modern mode actually recesses the power-amp a little to resist feed-back of all of the gain your feeding it and make the power amp sound a little more sub-sonic to give it a bigger sound. No matter what you do, your still just building on the platform of the Mark 4 to my expirience. But if you are really fond of the Mark 4 sound this might be exactly what your looking for. You can find the V-Twin's on ebay--I paid $180 for mine on there--and You shouldnt have trouble finding one for about $200. I traded my V-Twin with my Mark IIa for an Alvarez Yari Acustic which I no longer have-- :wink:

Damage Control Solid Metal distortion pedal should do what you want.

I am really fond of the MKIV tone. I don't want to totally change to tone of my amp; I just want some of that Recto flavor at times, and I would probably only use it through the clean channel. I figure a Mesa product would be the first place to look, though. The V-Twin is the closest thing that I could think of, but I've never really heard one.

Check out the Tube Zone I mentioned, there are clips online.

ps where in NW Indy do you live?

Platypus said:

I'm in Hammond. Originally from the South-East side of Chicago. Where you at?

UsrName said:
Platypus said:

I'm in Hammond. Originally from the South-East side of Chicago. Where you at?

I work in the northwest burbs of Chicago, just moved here

Platypus said:

I worked out that way for a few years in Schamburg and WoodDale. What a dreaded traffic nightmare! Now I work 5 minutes away from my house! How do you like it here? Where did you move from?

UsrName said:
Platypus said:

I worked out that way for a few years in Schamburg and WoodDale. What a dreaded traffic nightmare! Now I work 5 minutes away from my house! How do you like it here? Where did you move from?

Yah I live like 10 minutes from Schaumberg, what a joke that **** is man.. the traffic here is laughably bad. It takes me 20 minutes to go a mile sometimes to get home. I moved from just north of Indianapolis to Lafayette to here.

Platypus said:
Yah I live like 10 minutes from Schaumberg, what a joke that sh!t is man.. the traffic here is laughably bad. It takes me 20 minutes to go a mile sometimes to get home. I moved from just north of Indianapolis to Lafayette to here.

Oh, so you're a Hoosier by birth, huh? I thought you moved from another part of the country. I do like the "Metal Rythm" clips on the MI Audio site.

Chris_Lonerock said:
Sans amp GT2 in california hotwired mode is pretty close

This one has me intrigued. Is it just for recording or can you play it live as well? What about that mic switch? Does it affect the sound live direct into an amp? Also how does the Tri-OD or Tri-AC compare?

UsrName said:
Platypus said:
Yah I live like 10 minutes from Schaumberg, what a joke that sh!t is man.. the traffic here is laughably bad. It takes me 20 minutes to go a mile sometimes to get home. I moved from just north of Indianapolis to Lafayette to here.

Oh, so you're a Hoosier by birth, huh? I thought you moved from another part of the country. I do like the "Metal Rythm" clips on the MI Audio site.

Yah, hoosier by birth, however glad I'm no longer there :) (no offense)

Check these threads out for more ideas:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=185895
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=185254

Platypus said:
Yah, hoosier by birth, however glad I'm no longer there :) (no offense)

None taken. I find the people here nicer than in the city. It's kinda wierd, but welcomed. Nice lookin' women up north, though. Enjoy!

Wow, small world... I am a Hoosier by birth as well. I grew up in Valparaiso, went to college in Lafayette and escaped to Orlando, Florida almost 6 years ago.

Yeah the V-Twin will get you Recto voicing, might even improve cleans some depending on your taste.

RyanDM said:
Wow, small world... I am a Hoosier by birth as well. I grew up in Valparaiso, went to college in Lafayette and escaped to Orlando, Florida almost 6 years ago.

Hey fellow Purdue grad :p

Platypus said:
RyanDM said:

Hey fellow Purdue grad :p

Thats's funny, I should be attending the Purdue Calumet campus in the spring to finish up.

Latest posts

Back