Using Triple Rec. as power amp - other amp must have load?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnarkill3k6

Reaction score
IF I want to use my "vintage" Marshall 18watt as a pre-amp for my Triple Rec. Does the Marshall still need to be connected to speakers?

Thanks guys.

It's a tube amp that I build myself. It's a clone of a 1965 Marshall combo, but in head form. It has 3 12AX7's, 2 EL84's and a tube rectifier.
Can someone explain how the amp doesn't need a load if you pull the power tubes?

I can´t help you with pulling tubes but if you will use Marshall just for preamp and you will run cable from his send to Mesa return you actualy redirect signal and with master volume turned down there shouldn´t be a problem...

How are you planning on using the Marshall as a preamp? If it's an accurate clone then it won't have an FX loop.

If you built that amp, you should have no problem with this schematic.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/loadline_schem.jpg

Built a couple for my church. They work really well. Bought all the parts separate and for the enclosure I just used a small aluminum project box from RadioShack.

Leave your 18W with ALL your tubes in it, put the load line where the speaker would normally go. This will be the load for your OT, rather than a speaker. Take the line out on the load line and go into the FX loop of your Rec. Should be that easy.

EtherealWidow said:
How are you planning on using the Marshall as a preamp? If it's an accurate clone then it won't have an FX loop.

You're right, but I'm planning on adding one... Before I do that, I'm doing a little research if it's worth doing the mod. :wink:

Well, either way, you would need a load. Might as well just leave it unmodded and build a Weber load line IMO. It functions as a load and has a volume and tone control.

EtherealWidow said:
Well, either way, you would need a load. Might as well just leave it unmodded and build a Weber load line IMO. It functions as a load and has a volume and tone control.

But how do I get the pre-amp signal into my triple rec. when I leave the Marshall loop-less?

Gnarkill3k6 said:
EtherealWidow said:

But how do I get the pre-amp signal into my triple rec. when I leave the Marshall loop-less?
From the "line-out" on the Weber Load Line (or other load box/attenuator with a line-out).

Dom

^^ What he said. And also, it wouldn't be just the preamp signal from the Marshall going into the power section of the Recto. It would be ALL of the Marshall's signal (preamp tubes, power tubes, output transformer) going into the power section of the Recto. Sounds weird, but it's not unheard of. It's called slaving. Plenty of bands do it live and in the studio. If you want just the preamp section of the Marshall going into the power section of the Recto, you would have to mod the Marshall with the effects loop and I would still recommend having a load on it.

You might be able to get away without a load on the Marshall if you pulled the output tubes and phase inverter, although that might raise the voltages too much for the other remaining tubes, and I don't know if that amp would start self-oscillating without a load. I'm not too familiar with that concept.

Like I said, it would just be best to have a load on it.

Sort of new around here, most everything I have searched says yes in one way or another. I have one question though. When I slaved my Marshall Studio 15 through my Rectoverb and 4x12 cab it cancelled the Rectoverb channel switching, which was a disappointment, otherwise it sounded great, is that a normal drawback or did I screw up? Sorry to stray a bit.

No worries. I can't imagine why it would cancel the channel switching. I don't have any experience with either amp though. Can't say if you messed up or not, but I can't imagine why that feature would go. Maybe the Rectoverb is just quirky like that. How did you have it hooked up?

And come to think of it, a lack of channel switching shouldn't be a bad thing at all, because you would be using the Rectoverb as a power amp. The channels wouldn't even come into play.

Thanks, I recall slaving out to the efx return and a dummy plug in the send. I got that from some posts about slaving. From your reply I gathered it works just fine going into the front which would enable both channels through the preamp instead of post preamp. DOH!!! Thanks again the lightbulb just went on, can't wait to try it. One cool thing about this little old Marshall is that it is a tube amp that has a headphone out/attenuator to hook the speaker to that will not be heard with the Rectoverb turned up to sweet rumbling volume levels. Apologies to original poster, I have had similar ambitions but didn't mean to sidetrack.

Not necessarily! You were slaving it correctly. What I was saying is that I have no idea why channel switching would be disabled on the Rectoverb, but you're not missing out on anything since it's after the preamp. If you try to slave into the front of the Rectoverb you'll get a pretty unusable tone because of the massive hum you'll get. Just keep slaving it the way you were.

I will try that again, I appreciate your help. The 4001 slave gives the Rectoverb a unique personality, but I got to get the 2 channels working.

Latest posts

Back