Using Mark IV Combo with 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turumbar82

Reaction score
Does anyone do this? I don't have a Mark IV yet but am considering it a lot and I thought about getting a combo so I could just take the combo to smaller gigs or practices or for playing in my apartment and then if I need more power hook it up to my 4x12? Would I have to disconnect the internal speaker and then plug in the 4x12 or can I just plug the 4x12 in and actually have 5x12's going?

thanks for the help guys!

you might actually still want to look into a head. the combo is heavy and bulky so the head and a 112 or 212 is going to be nicer to lug around than the combo

I tried to hook up my MkIV combo to a 4x12 Recto cab and found that I like the sound of the EVM alone better.

Way too many lows on the 4x12, the EVM really shines, and it has enough volume to cover any situation.

fatoni is right though, combo is quite heavy, so you may want to consider carefully if you really need a combo.

I did this with the last band i was in. Unplugged the speaker in the amp and plugged into a fender metal head 4x12 cabinet our drummer had. Way to bright at time but the 4 speakers really added some oomph to the sound. Get a good cab you'll be happy..but i kinda wish i had a head now so dont listen to me lol :lol:

Had the IV head and a 4x14 then put the chassis in a combo with 1x12 (which is very heavy). Now put the chassis back into the headshell and use a 2x12. I’m pretty happy with this setup.
I like the closed back cabinet sound and the weight is allot more manageable, but I don’t feel like I’m compromising.

Yes, I do this all the time. I have 2 M4 combos, one of which I'm converting to a head... as mentioned, the combo is a lot heavier. Newer combos shipped with the C90 speaker, which I don't think sounds nearly as good as the EVM in older combos. I personally prefer the closed-back V30 4x12 or 2x12 Recto cabs (I play hard rock / metal).

The 4x12 and 2x12 Recto cabs are 8 ohm, as is the combo's built-in speaker. To use them instead of the combo's internal speaker, simply unplug the internal and plug the cab into the 8 ohm out.

To use both the 8 ohm external cab and the internal speaker, use the two 4 ohm speaker outs.

I've only played my combo through a 4x12 a couple of times and both times I've been underwhelmed.

First through a 70's Marshall with Celestions and also through a Peavey XXX. The Peavey sounded plain crap, but that's to be expected (was only out of curiosity that I bothered) but the Marshall didn't really do alot for me either - it sounded good, but the Mark IV sounds so good through the stock EV that anything else just doesn't quite hit the spot.

Maybe just get a 1x12 Theile EV extension cab if you need more spread of sound?

Latest posts

Back