Using a switching/midi system with Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

factorevif

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Mark IV B series and I 've been wanting to get something like a Line 6 M13 to use with it:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-M13-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=482675

Could I use the external switching jacks on the back on the Mark IV amp to have the M13 control the channel switching and effects simulataneously? How exactly would I go about doing this?

That processor does not have channel switching for your Mak IV. A TC-Electronic G-Major or a Boss GT-10 would be able to switch amp channels (and in my opinion has far better effects than the line 6 stuff!) In order for a unit to be able to switch channels on you amp via the external swithing jacks the unit must have internal relays. The Boss has 1 relay so you would be able to switch between ch1 and lead. The G-major I believe has 2 relays so you could switch between all 3 channels.

ryjan said:
The G-major I believe has 2 relays so you could switch between all 3 channels.
you need a relay for each channel on the mark4 since there's no "default" channel

kiff said:
ryjan said:
you need a relay for each channel on the mark4 since there's no "default" channel
:? When I switch the selector switch on the back of mine to external, it defaults to RHY1. With a ground at RHY2 or LEAD, it will switch to that respective channel. Take away all grounds, I have RY1.

ryjan said:
kiff said:
ryjan said:
:? When I switch the selector switch on the back of mine to external, it defaults to RHY1. With a ground at RHY2 or LEAD, it will switch to that respective channel. Take away all grounds, I have RY1.
that's definitely not the case on mine. when there's nothing grounded, all the channel LEDs are off and there's no sound. I've done this several times testing my switchers...

Thats wierd. Maybe mine is modded or yours is broken. There has to be a mod to make a default channel, right?

Is there any other kind of system to get besides the G major or GT-10?

And which jacks would I hook into my amp from the effects board? There is like 6 jacks for every channel, effects loop, eq, etc.

Get an Amp Gizmo and a Mastermind if you aren't terribly familiar with MIDI... along with a G-Force. I have a 4-space rack with a Furman, Korg rack tuner, G-Force and Amp Gizmo. I use it with my Mark IV, Mark V and Roadster. RJM makes special cables that go from the footswitch jacks of each amp to the Amp Gizmo so you don't need a cable for each function (ext. jacks). It is the easiest way I have found to accomplish a flexable rig that covers all bases for all of my amps.

Check out RJM Music's website for sure. I've purchased tons of gear over the years, wasted a lot of money and now have this setup. Sets up quick, programs quick, and it's not huge. :D

http://www.voodoolab.com/controlswitcher.htm
This is an inexpensive option. I guess they sell for around $140.

I was thinking of a similar setup with gmajor, axxess cfx4 and voodoo ground control. Right now I don't have the funds for this setup, but I figured I was pass along one way of setting up midi control with channel switching.

Here is the link the channel switcher.
http://www.axess-electronics.com/sc/CFX4-Control-Function-Switcher-p-16136.html

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

I'm slightly disappointed why the Mark IV does not have full MIDI capability so I can use a GT-8 to control the unit completely. An older Marshall JMP-1 had complete MIDI capabilities. I had set up the GT-8 such that I could change channel, gain, treble and all parameters on the JMP-1.

Even the Mark V doesnt seem to have that MIDI in/thru jacks.

Latest posts

Back