Usa Jackson's...who has them and what o you think of them?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyNoise

Reaction score
I'm really thinking about getting one of these. Probably the soloist but not sure if I want the Floyd Rose I had one once on my RG and didn't like it all. I eventually put a metal plate under it and and mounted it to the body for way better sustain. Anyway, i'm getting off the subject.
I WANT A FAST *** NECK!!! I want something that if I breath on it it will playa note. I'm really begining to get more into playing songs with much more demanding solo's and my les pauls can get a bit tight up about the 15th fret.
So...........

I have 4 Jacksons, 2 of which are USA made. I have a USA custom shop dinky archtop and a SL1 Soloist. I think the soloist would be right up your alley. You have easy access all the way up to the 24th fret. With the neck thru body design and ebony finger board, it has sustain for days.

You should also check out a PRS Custom 24 with the wide-thin neck carve (if you havn't played one already). One of the reasons I bought a custom 24 was because I liked the playability and sustain of my Jacksons, but I like the tone of mahogany body guitars much better (soloists have alder bodies). I found that the Custom 24 with the wide-thin neck was exactly what I was looking for.

Let us know what you decide on.

Had one in the 90's and loved it. Sold it over 10 years ago for a dumb reason but haven't missed it too much. It was loaded with SSH and a Floyd. Neck was ultra fast and smooth. My tastes changed slightly and I moved on.

DirtyNoise said:
I WANT A FAST *** NECK!!! I want something that if I breath on it it will playa note. I'm really begining to get more into playing songs with much more demanding solo's and my les pauls can get a bit tight up about the 15th fret.
So...........

Try wearing it a little higher and rotating your hand around to the front of the guitar a little more or position yourself for it if you must keep it low. Works for me...

I have 2 Jacksons but they are both late '80's models. As such, my opinion is mostly related to older Jacksons. There are a lot variations in neck shapes. For instance, one of my guitars has a very fat neck with 22 frets while my other bolt-on has a much thinnner neck with 24 frets. I like both necks but they do obviously feel very different.

You should try as many Jacksons as you can. You'll also be able to find models with fixed bridges in addition to the Floyds. If you have the cash, the Custom Shop can build about anything you want but it will definitely cost and likely entail a pretty long wait. If that is the route you want to go, I'd strongly encourage you to go over to the Charvel/Jackson forum and find out about the custom-shop orders that members over there have done. Here's the link: http://www.jcfonline.com/

I also think G.I.G. had an excellent suggestion in that you should try some PRS's with the wide/thin carve. And for tonal reasons, you should also try the PRS Singlecut. That guitar can be had with either a fixed bridge or a non-locking trem. Great guitar and it sounds different from my favorite PRS solidbody, the McCarty.

Thanks guys. I will look into to PRS 24. After a lot of looking I can't even find a SL1 or SL2 or any USA Jackson to even try in my area. Very frustrating.
I did find out that I can get a killer deal on any Jackson through my local shop who is now a Jackson dealer. So good that I coul dactually turn the guitar around id needed and make money. BUT I don't want to do this with out playing one or several fo rthat matter.
Thanks though for thoughts. My quest continue's!!!

G.I.G. said:
I have 4 Jacksons, 2 of which are USA made. I have a USA custom shop dinky archtop and a SL1 Soloist. I think the soloist would be right up your alley. You have easy access all the way up to the 24th fret. With the neck thru body design and ebony finger board, it has sustain for days.

You should also check out a PRS Custom 24 with the wide-thin neck carve (if you havn't played one already). One of the reasons I bought a custom 24 was because I liked the playability and sustain of my Jacksons, but I like the tone of mahogany body guitars much better (soloists have alder bodies). I found that the Custom 24 with the wide-thin neck was exactly what I was looking for.

Let us know what you decide on.

Well, I bought a 97' PRS CE-24 Orange Flame Top today. I think I'll be pretty happy with it. It IS incredable looking. I played a friend of mine once when I filled in for him at a gig and was pretty impressed although I wasn't playing any songs that required me to go above the 15th fret.
Anyway, I think I'm selling all my other guitars at this point (the liost is below my sig) and I'm still going to order or find a SL1 and have these as my 2 axes. They should pretty much cover the bases.

Well, OK I bought a quil top Green SL1 as well today. It is one bad *** axe.
Look for the following guitars in my Sig to be on eBay Monday. They all must go.

you want a fast neck? !!
i haven't heard anyone say GIBSON SG STANDARD :p
SG has THE fastest neck IMHO

I own a Jackon USA SL1, incredible guitar, definately worth the money. With the proper setup you will have everything you just asked for. And grab a model with a non-trem if the Floyd isn't your thing.

I have a Jackson SLSMG soloist, it is the fastest neck I have ever played - check out ebony fretboards!

I dig my SG neck sometimes for quick stuff. I also like my explorer if I am just riffimg. I do like the access given from my V's more. I have really settled back a little with my LP's though.

DirtyNoise said:
I'm really thinking about getting one of these. Probably the soloist but not sure if I want the Floyd Rose I had one once on my RG and didn't like it all. I eventually put a metal plate under it and and mounted it to the body for way better sustain. Anyway, i'm getting off the subject.
So...........

I have a USA Kelly KE2 that's wicked. Got it for $1000 at GC a couple of years ago. It has an EXTREMELY fast neck (even though it's finished), ebony fingerboard, giant frets...it practically plays itself. The high fret access is a little restricted up at the end of the neck due to the body design, the cutaway is kind of narrow. But it looks like a Soloist would be right up your alley.

Back