URGENT: Studio .22+ Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panosy

Reaction score
Hello,

I own an old Studio .22+ (with graphic EQ). The amp started producing very bad distortion in the Clean channel (only one I use). The sound was similar to a bad tube As the tubes haven't been replaced for a long time I ordered quality tubes from Doug's tubes (matched and proposed for the specific amp) and replaced the tubes. However the problem remained and is characterized mostly by the following:

- In very low levels clean sounds relatively ok
- As gain gets over 2 and master gets higher the amp sounds harsh, produces ugly distorion and hisses very much in some notes/frequencies (bass A among others).
- Bass responce is completely flubby and sounds as if I am using a fuzz box. Only I am not.
- At higher level the whole sound is distorted in a very bad way in the Clean channel, practically there is no clean channel
- When the Master is topped at 10, the level is still low to use with the band and the quality is unacceptable, while before I always kept it at 6-7 and was fine.

has anybody had any similar problems or knows anything about that? I am frustrated because this was to be my main amp for some gigs now and local techs (live in Barcelona-Spain) have a waiting time of a month to check it. :cry:

thanks guys..

First I would replace the phase inverter tube (last preamp tube before the power section) and see if that helps, if not take to repairman (preferably a Boogie service center). Might need a cap job.

Hm, I had also changed the inverter tube and this didn't seem to help, and the speaker is not the problem in my case.. I'll have to try the cap job but I was hoping there was something else..

Hey - I am having the EXACT problem with my Studio .22 !!!

overdrive channel is all fuzzed out and the clean channel is all fuzzy even at the lowest volumes...

I replaced the 2 power tubes with brand new match JJ's and replaced all 5 pre amp tubes 12ax7s with 5 Mesa Boogie pre amp tubes 12ax7s from another Boogie amp I have.

And I swapped out the guitar/ the guitar cable/ all 7 tubes/ the speaker cabinet and the speaker cable...

What was your problem/solution?

I eagerly await your response!

Thanks,
Gamera

PM sent! Not much luck, I didn't avoid the tech in the end.. Let's see what happens..

Back