Tung Sol Pre amp tube works miracles on my dual rec!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diamondschwin

Reaction score
so after reading about different tubes online I decided to take it upon myself to see how big a different the tubes make. Everyone said that for the preamp tubes changing the v1 position is the most drastic difference for the pre amp tubes so i went out and bought an electro harmonix 12ax7 and a tung sol reissue 12ax7a, they didnt have any jj Pres at the store and i didnt pick up a sovtek just because i heard nothing special about them. anyway the electro harmonix tube was a big change when i swapped it for v1, it was alot more saturated sounding, not more gain just less crunch and more harmonic fuzz, it was cool but not exactly what i was looking for (although im going to try it in my stiletto later) then i put in the tung sol which is the regular non gold pin version and WOW, HUGE DIFFERENCE!! the high end was not harsh, the amp was more chimey in the cleans, it had more gain, more harmonics much more sustain and fluid gain for solos... i was AMAZED... truly impressive, like ibanezsa4life I cut the treble down and boosted the mids and bass but used some pretty decent amount of presence to make the amp cut more, but with this the treble control is now like a harmonic range adjuster, higher up it pushes more saturation and density in the upper mids and lower it brings out the low mids.. its really awesome.. i know this is a long read but honestly this opened my eyes and the tung sol cost me 9 bucks... and it made me love this amp even more! anyway i think now i might spring for tung sols for the entire pre section although i might experiment still but yeah i call it my 9 dollar mod... if you want gold pins its like a 25 dollar mod!!!!

I have this tube in V1 of both my Boogies. Doug recommended them.

I like it.

Sweet guys!! I might try that--I love cheap when it sounds good! Who makes Mesa's preamp tubes? Are they Tung-sols? :)

They say on them. My Lonestar shipped with the Sovteks, a pretty dull and lifeless tube. My Dual Rec shipped with chinese 9th Gens. I really like this tube, overall. In my Lonestar I have a Tung-Sol in V1, a Hi Gain JJ in V2 and the rest are Chinese 9th Gens. Same in my Dual except a Tung-Sol in V1 & V2, as it doesn't need any additional gain in the preamp.

my local guitar shop here in nyc, i know the guys extremely well and so im not sure thats the normal price, i think i got them at cost

Give Doug @ dougs tubes a shout, he can take care of almost any of our Boogies with knowlege to back it up. Also he doesnt try to sell you a "silk screen " named tube.A real straight shooter.
I also went with the Tung Sol and 9th generation Shuguangs for the rest.
Called him on Wednsday late afternoon and the tubes were on my doorstep Saturday.

That new Tung Sol 12AX7 is my favorite tube in the V1 position of almost any amp.
Hard to believe, but a new tube actually seems good.

you guys should check out a 5751 in V1 and V2. It will smooth out your amp, no fizz, no harshness, just tonal bliss. I prefer the NOS RCA 5751.

Latest posts

Back