true opinion on the triaxis

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eagle said:
I don't care if it can replicate spacific amps or not either, I know from my 25years playing that I use only four basic tones and the triaxis can't do three of them.(but I can get my tones from the list of amps its is surposed to replicate) .My rig now still can't do one of them as well as I would like and this consists of a Roadking head a GTtrio an Engl570 and a Gmajor .Ironicly the tone Ican't get is in my rocket reverb that lives by my coutch ,and if my triaxis had been half as good as it is I would be still be useing it.
Compared to other Mesa gear there is somthing sinthetic about triaxis regardless of how you set it or what you use it with.It just isn't as alive feeling to play through,I'm no enginer but I suspect that compromises to the audio side have been made in order to control all the parameters with midi .Lets have a 2U preamp with a lonestar channel 1 ,mark4 channel 2 recto channel 3 and roadking modern channel 4 ,with only midi to swtch between each

I completely disagree with everything the above poster has said. And no one reading these posts should put any credence in it. I feel the complete opposite is true as do the majority of the reviewers on Harmony Central.

I will admit rack gear could be quite challenging and require alot more work to master and get the sounds you want programmed. But once you do, they are thre locked in to call at any moment.

The Triaxis is the best guitar pre-amp I have ever come across -- and I've been playing professionally for about 35+ years

Ever played a 3+se or a fish or even an X88R these and many other's sound FAR more real than the triaxis .Not that a Triaxis isn't good ,Its just a jack of all trades with all the compramises that brings ,also try a vht 2150 or a 2/90/2 way better than the 290 .

Masque...could it be that your search for classic rock tones is starting in the wrong place?
Most "classic" rock tones were recorded using M-brand amps (you know which one I'm talking about, ;) ). So you might be looking for a certain tone that belongs to another family of amps....just an idea.
I use Mesa amps and I know I'm missing certain tones from other classic amps but I just go with the flow, so to speak.

fatboy135 said:
I have both power amps ...
:lol:
I can´t do that, I´m still paying my saab 93 coupe :lol:

I´m agree with you TA is a very good preamp, so hard to program it, but very nice after the first months, with good tubes you could achieve so great tones

Sorry but I didnt understand you .
How can a triaxis be SO HARD TO PROGRAM if all controls are in the front ?
Not even an edit screen,just knobs to play with !
Ive been using triaxis for 10 years and I have the same tones I made at the day I bought my first one.
It is just like an amp roll the knobs just it.
Of course you can save your presets put simply push enter twice.
How can it be so hard?!

fatboy135 said:
to get a good tone, I spend a lot of time, even my musical tastes change with the times, so I need every 2-3 months retuning the parameters, it is only a fine tunning but i need to do that

Oh now I got it but
If you needed 3 months to get a good tone,maybe your ears are complicated not triaxis.
I made mine at the first day there are people who made theirs in 1 year.
Each one of us need the right time but it doesnt make triaxis hard to program just us .
I got a friend wich is programing his zoom for an year.
Just terrible tones and a lot of screens to edit.
Al right we all know that zoom is not made to make good tones but to make their owners crazy
laughs
Look I made a prophecy =

ZOOM IS NOT MADE TO MAKE GOOD TONES BUT TO MAKE ITS OWNERS CRAZY !!!

:D :D :D :D

Well, TA is not *hard* to tweak, I mean, you do not need special skills like free climbing mastery or 7 fingered hands to do it, anyway it is not an easy unit to use.

There's no such thing as an easy Mesa anyway. They're not user-friendly amps, you really have to understand how things work together, this goes for the TA as well as the Quad or Mark series, Rectos etc.

I'm happy to read that tere's people here that was able to dial in good sounds right away: you're gifted people, be aware of that.

I've had a TA for one year or so, I didn't find it all that easy to use.
And, to be totally honest with all of you, I didn't find it as good-sounding as the price may suggest. I've had a Kitty Hawk Quattro Preamp that, to my tastes, sounded way more realistic at 1/4th the price.

At the end of the day, it's always only down to personal tastes.

i have a question, who in boogie factory programed the original presets???? for my taste it sounds like *** :lol: I want to meet the original programer to ask what was thinking when he done the presets :lol:

fatboy135 said:
i have a question, who in boogie factory programed the original presets???? for my taste it sounds like *** :lol: I want to meet the original programer to ask what was thinking when he done the presets :lol:

Then *** must sound very good because I was able to use the factory presets right out of the box...with only minor tweaking here and there depending on the guitar/P-U or the room...... :roll:

Luijo said:
Masque...could it be that your search for classic rock tones is starting in the wrong place?
Most "classic" rock tones were recorded using M-brand amps (you know which one I'm talking about, ;) ). So you might be looking for a certain tone that belongs to another family of amps....just an idea.
I use Mesa amps and I know I'm missing certain tones from other classic amps but I just go with the flow, so to speak.

there may be a little truth to that....but i love my TA and it will lawsy be my main piece but I am serioulsy considering the possibility of adding a Marshall Plexi or something to play with as well.

fatboy135 said:
I really hate the 20 presets of the triaxis, I do my own presets, for my taste they are very ugly and when I switch on the first time my face was :shock: and then :lol:

Are you using the same equipments the man who made the presets was using ?
I guess he used the triaxis +2.90+some boogie 4X4.
Im just guessing cause I use the same setup and the presets sounded really amazing,like the other dude said I simply modify them a little and they sounded very amazing.

Masque, you might not need to go as far as buying a Plexi head, just consider the ADA MP-1 as an option so you can keep everything in a rack setup.
While the MP-1 is not the ultimate M-amp sounding machine it is quite good and I find it a very good companion to Boogie sounds, an inexpensive way to widen you tonal palette.

Luijo said:
Masque, you might not need to go as far as buying a Plexi head, just consider the ADA MP-1 as an option so you can keep everything in a rack setup.
While the MP-1 is not the ultimate M-amp sounding machine it is quite good and I find it a very good companion to Boogie sounds, an inexpensive way to widen you tonal palette.

yeh, i had a friend that used to have a MP-1 and i loved it. it was a great sounding preamp. I may look into picking one up!!!

Fatboy are you sure you're talking about an ADA unit?
I admit it doesn't sound dead on like the amps it claims to emulate, but in no way it sounds synthetic!
Besides being the first programmable and MIDI capable tube preamp it always ran its tubes in high voltage configuration, which helps the sound a lot.
The fact that so many people still use them and go around looking for them is a testament to it's quality and sound.
Maybe it is just not your cup of tea, but...synthetic...??!! :shock:
P.D.: De que parte de España eres?

I use the mp1 for my last 6 years, since I get the triaxis and I do A/B comparisions I see that there was two worlds, so I don´t think so much about it and sell the ada to a friend, I never have the feel of do a wrong thing, even I had a studio 22+ M/B because I love the cleans of that amp, another A/B comparision shows to me that the triaxis and the studio 22+ were extremely close in that cleans, so I also sell the studio 22+.
That is my philosophy, I don´t want a rack fridge, I just want a good preamp, a good power amp, and a few pedals. I don´t want to get an arsenal of equipment, musics becomes from the mind, from your feels, not from your equipment, for that reason I don´t want to accumulate a lot of equipment, because the triaxis is not the all amps in one. I achieve a lot of tones with my triaxis, and the tones that I don´t get I got it with the TS9 deluxe and the RAT, no more equipment to carry on gigs. If I must to carry with a fridge when the gig begins I will be so exhausted that I will felt down.
I don´t care to be disappointed with anybody, because it is a forum to share your opinions, everyone has his own experiences, goal, and of course budgets :D I couldn´t have a lot of equipment for that reason I sell the ada and get my triaxis, for my purposes the triaxis is all I need, no more preamps.
I´m from the capital of Spain, Madrid, an awful city to live when the most part of the population spends what they earn in psychiatrisc :D

Latest posts

Back