Triple rectifier tone problems

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here, check out this, I just recorded it now. This is my MarkIV, see if you like the type of tone.

I'm plugged straight in, settings are as follows:

Power: Tweed, Class A, Triode
Channel R2
Gain 8 pulled
Bass 0
Mid 3
Treble 7
Presence 6 pulled
Volume 9.5
Output 8

Plugged straight in.

http://members.shaw.ca/mrduplicity/mkiv.mp3 2.58mb

that sounds absolutely sik man, fully the sound I'm looking for. And you played the best riffs for it too! that does sound fuking sweet man

Well thanks. Then I'd have to say that the MKIV is for you heh

haha I'm not sure I would say that, but it's close yeah. James probably used the Lead channel for MOP, it seems like there's more gain going on there, but it's hard to tell... there's a lot of things that colour the tone. Mics, preamps, consoles, etc, etc.

yeh yeh, and the fact that he layers everything. But it's got that really nice clarity, can't describe it really, nice!

Cool, well glad you enjoy it.

I've actually never had the volumes up that loud before, I'm used to playing with full power.. if I did that on full power I probably would have been bleeding from the ears, but in tweed power I can max out both volumes and with earplugs it's still manageable even when I'm less than 10 feet away from the amp.

Sounds fucking cool as **** :lol:

mrd - killer tone, man. What tubes are you running in your class A sockets? Volume 9.5 and master 8 is definitely uncharted territory for me. I've never heard R2 sound so good! I usually associate that kind of tightness and swirl with the Lead channel.

To the original poster - my opinion is that trying to make one amp match the tone of another is always a losing battle. The best you can get is "almost there". Instead, focus on finding the best tone your amp can produce, even if it's different than what you think would be ideal. By playing to the strengths of your gear, you'll get the best sound possible.

Rectos have such a distinctive and awesome tone, I think you'd lose a lot by trying to emulate a Mark. You won't be able to match the MOP tone - so what? Play the parts with killer Recto tone, with a technique that maximizes the Recto-ness of the sound, and people in the audience will appreciate that you are putting a different spin on the song.

Or...play original music and it becomes a non-issue ;)

Wow, thanks for all the comments guys :shock:

@Elpelotero, practice makes perfect man. It is a very fun song to play hehe

@scott, I use a lot of picks, I can't remember which one I used for that clip. In my pocket I have 1 or 2 really floppy ones, 2 medium gauges (1mm-ish) and 1 or 2 thick ones (2-3mm). I can play all that stuff with any pick so it doesn't really matter, I just use the first pick my hand touches when I go in my pocket. The only time I actually pick one out is if I'm playing acoustic, I like using the floppy picks for chord strumming, makes it sound a bit nicer.

HalfDeaf: Just standard Mesa 6L6s all around. I have a GT 7025 in V1, if that helps at all. I've never heard R2 sound like that either, I was blown away actually. The Lead channel sounds even better at that volume, somehow :lol: R1 sounds fucking fantastic when you crank it up too, a good, solid rock tone. Try it out one time.

HalfDeaf - Yeh they are very wise words there!! I'm not trying to emulate the Metallica tone, it's more of a basis of where I want to start my sound. The recto ALMOST has it, it's just missing that tightness!!
But yeh i'm in a touring originals band, i've only just started to realise the wonders of getting the perfect tone!

Latest posts

Back