Triple Rectifier Doing Classic Rock Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyo

Reaction score
I was totally shocked on how good it sounded.....last night I jammed some classic rock stuff with some friends for the first time in my "new" jam room. Used channel 1 on the normal setting (not "pushed"), cranked the gain all the way and had the most incredible cruchy-classic rock tone. Used a Keely Tube Screamer on solo stuff and it sounded better then my Marshall Vintage Modern. I'm very pleased with it.

My assumption was that most folks use the Triple Rec for heavier, newer metal-type music (which is what I was using it for). I didn't realize how versatile the amp is and wonder if others use the Triple Rec for classic crunch type tones???

andyo said:
I was totally shocked on how good it sounded.....last night I jammed some classic rock stuff with some friends for the first time in my "new" jam room. Used channel 1 on the normal setting (not "pushed"), cranked the gain all the way and had the most incredible cruchy-classic rock tone. Used a Keely Tube Screamer on solo stuff and it sounded better then my Marshall Vintage Modern. I'm very pleased with it.

My assumption was that most folks use the Triple Rec for heavier, newer metal-type music (which is what I was using it for). I didn't realize how versatile the amp is and wonder if others use the Triple Rec for classic crunch type tones???

I can't speak for the Triple, but my Dual does classic rock/ blues very well once I found the settings. EL-34's, as well as running at 50 watts, makes it a much more versatile amp for playing the stuff I play. (not metal)
One thing I can say for Mesa. Just when I think I've gotten all I can out of one of their amps, one little tweek can land me in territory I never knew I had. They're just incredible amps, all around.

If you like that tone, I think you will find the Pushed setting to be even more satisfying, especially when coupled with the Tubescreamer set with the Level maxed and the Gain on zero. It's the same basic tone, but it will give you much more versatility by allowing you to go from a barely crunchy clean tone to enough gain to play classic metal depending on where you set your guitar's volume knob.

Additionally, if you throw a clean boost in front of the Tubescreamer with the amp set on Channel 1 Pushed, you can play the later 80's higher-gain metal as well.

As far as an OD into the clean channel.....I tell you what, I found one of the best rock sounds by running the clean channel in clean mode(going to try it in pushed to see as well). Using the 6l6 tubes, bold mode with silicon diodes as well. I have mine running as a master volume setup, and I typically turn the clean channel volume up to about 9, with the clean channel gain somewhere between 10 and noon, and then push the master volume as much as you feel you need. Mids and bass both at noon for the most part, and treble and presence around 1.

Stuff a maxon OD808 in front, turn the output all the way up, tone at roughly noon, and gain at 3:00 or more.

This pedal run this way DOES add a lot of gain, but DOES NOT severely squash or color the actual tone. So, you get all that big fat dynamic of the clean channel pushed relatively hard, but with lots of grindy kinda saturation laying on top that big dynamic sound.

Its the type of sound I woulda used if I played guitar for AC/DC. Similar kinda definition and character, but fatter, and with more gain present.

FYI....Ive got a triple recto solo 3 channel head, and have found ways to make it produce any sound I need it to. Even though its geared towards the hard stuff......this head can be flexed in many different ways, and mine isnt even a "prime example" of a rectifier. The only thing that bugs me about this head is the fizz at some settings, but its workable, and Im going to explore some preamp tube options to see if I can tame it.

If you are patient....I really do dig the rectifiers!

I love the sound that I have been getting from my triple as well. Someone mentioned trying out a Bad Monkey Overdrive in front. I was using an Ibanez TS-9. I tried the Bad Monkey and immedietly made it a permanent part of my board. I took the TS-9 out...I did however give up on trying to get the clean that I wanted. I bought a ABY switcher and have been using my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for cleans. The only thing that I would change if I had the money is trade out the Hot Rod Deluxe for a Twin Reverb or an older Vox ac-30. But, for now, I'm satisfied..

sflight said:
I love the sound that I have been getting from my triple as well. Someone mentioned trying out a Bad Monkey Overdrive in front. I was using an Ibanez TS-9. I tried the Bad Monkey and immedietly made it a permanent part of my board. I took the TS-9 out...I did however give up on trying to get the clean that I wanted. I bought a ABY switcher and have been using my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for cleans. The only thing that I would change if I had the money is trade out the Hot Rod Deluxe for a Twin Reverb or an older Vox ac-30. But, for now, I'm satisfied..

If you can find one around, check out an old Ampeg V-4. Outstanding amps, and the clean headroom is the best I've ever heard. (Twin, included)
I've A/B'd my V-4 and two channel Dual with great results.

Back