Triple Rec into 1x12 cab (60 watts)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaurakh

Reaction score
Hi people, i am new to the forum but i hang out here for a while. I am going to buy a 2x12 recto cab for my triple rec. for recording and medium-large live situations but i practice in my home too. I have a 15 watt behringer amp which is a great amp for bedroom uses, but ofcourse it lacks the character of a recto in any volume, even i crank it up. I believe i won't be able to use 2x12 cab at home (maybe at noons, i will take chances:), so now i am thinking about this : What happens when a TR goes into 1x12 60 watt cab? I just want to feel the recto kind of tone in my home in order to write songs, is it possible with 1x12 or 2x12 recto cab? I am not gonna use attenuators or not gonna pull tubes. Thanks for reading...

Hi,

I'm pretty sure playing at lower volumes won't damage your cab. Probably listen for sounds of dying speakers ^^

On the other hand, I am also pretty sure you won't get that Rectifier sound at volumes you can pull at home (at least, I know I can't). These babies need far too much volume to sound good at home. I would be surprised if you could crank them loud enough, but, if you want to give it a try ...

If you keep the volume down there's no issue at all - as long as the amp is putting out less than 60W it won't blow the speaker. 60W is LOUD, even with a 1x12" - you would know if you were even close to that volume in a home recording context, you're more likely to be playing at 1-10W.

The easiest way to get a quick guide is to connect your Behringer to the cab and crank it up full. If you're playing your Mesa at less than that volume, there can't be any risk to the cab.

What you need is one of the Reborn triples that does a possible 150watts and 50watts for each channel! =-p In all seriousness, we had a thread talking about getting good tones at low volumes. The general comments were 1) tubes that break up earlier 2) Attenuator 3) pulling tubes 4) lower efficiency speaker. Generally, using several options all at once makes the results much more effective.

So you won't pull tubes, eh? This is unfortunate, since yanking tubes is the best possible way to get more tube breakup (good tone) at low volumes. I was about to suggest putting Yellow Jackets / EL-84s in it for home use when I read that. *IF* you were to use this solution, you'd drop the amp down from about 150watts to approx 45 - 60watts which would be perfect for low volume playing and this is with no tube sockets empty! I mean the tone isn't EXACTLY the same, but tube crunch is always preferable to anything else. And Hey, you might actually find that the between 45 - 60watt option comes in handy for smaller gigs!!

Since you won't pull tubes, there is always the 'chance' that you will blow the 60watt speaker because you have SO MUCH more power on tap. Still, you don't HAVE to turn it up that loud so the speaker will probably be fine. Just use common sense and keep the volume down. You can also buy a good attenuator. Yes, they suck tone when they are turned up HIGH ( -12 db+) but you can run one at -3 db for a minimal hit to tone. Hey, this is the same as cutting your amps power in half, which really isn't all that bad after all!

Just a comment on this, why a 60watt 1 x 12? I have a 2 x 12 and it really honestly isn't much louder than my 1 x 12, ESPECIALLY when the 1 x 12 is loaded with something like a Celestion v30 that puts out 100db / watt / metre. IF you want a 1 x 12 it is probably better to invest in a speaker that is a lower sensitivity to suck up some of the power. I was thinking g12T-75s but there is also the option of the g12T 100 that handles 100watts. When it comes to the G12T 100, More power handling capability plus lower sensitivity (97 db/ watt / metre) is a real win in my book. Consider that a 3db difference in volume is roughly the same as cutting the power of your amp by half, that isn't quite so bad! Now all you need is to make / buy yourself a thiele cab for that speaker and you should be set. So, Attenuator at -3db and a speaker that puts out 3db less = -6 db from your rig. OH, and you won't supercede the power rating on the 100watt speaker either anymore. Next step, throw in preamp tubes that distort at lower volumes and throw in the Yellow Jackets. All tube sockets full and VIOLA, you have good tones at bedroom volumes! The only problem is that you will have spent enough money to buy yourself a small tube head such as an Orange Tiny Terror by the time you factor in all the costs.

You could also run recabinet on your computer and take the FX send and plug that into your computer . . . OR, there is also the Wampler Triple Wreck. Best stomp box EVER!!!!

UnderJollyRoger said:
Hi,

I'm pretty sure playing at lower volumes won't damage your cab. Probably listen for sounds of dying speakers ^^

On the other hand, I am also pretty sure you won't get that Rectifier sound at volumes you can pull at home (at least, I know I can't). These babies need far too much volume to sound good at home. I would be surprised if you could crank them loud enough, but, if you want to give it a try ...

That is why I run 2 YellowJackets for practicing. 20watt high gain head = WIN!!

94Tremoverb said:
If you keep the volume down there's no issue at all - as long as the amp is putting out less than 60W it won't blow the speaker. 60W is LOUD, even with a 1x12" - you would know if you were even close to that volume in a home recording context, you're more likely to be playing at 1-10W.

The easiest way to get a quick guide is to connect your Behringer to the cab and crank it up full. If you're playing your Mesa at less than that volume, there can't be any risk to the cab.

But we had that thread on getting good tone at low volumes. Is a 1 x 12 with an efficient speaker really going to give him the tone he wants at LOW volumes?

I don't know - but to be honest, it isn't that hard to get good tones from a Rectifier at relatively low volume just using the onboard controls, even with an efficient speaker. Most people don't realise just how low in power terms low volume is, even at the point the amp starts to sound like it's starting to 'work hard'. The volume controls on almost all amps are Logarithmic, which means that (assuming the amp is putting out full power only when the knob is up full, which is usually not correct but it will help understand what's going on here) when the knob is at halfway, the voltage signal is 1/10th (.1) of full, not half. And since power is proportional to the *square* of voltage, that means that the theoretical power output when the knob is at halfway is not half the amp's full power, it's *1%* (.1 squared = .01) of it. So a 100W amp might only be putting out 1W when the volume knob is at half.

While most amps reach full power well before the knob is all the way up - often about half - this doesn't change that ratio, and so when the amp is at half of that (ie about 10 o'clock) it could still be in the same sort of power range. At worst, it's likely to be about 10-20% of full power. This is still going to be pretty loud, at home - loud enough to feel you're really moving the speaker, but not a risk to a 60W speaker even with a 150W amp.

The risk of using under-rated speakers - particularly in a band context - is that once you get up to louder volumes, the power rises very fast as you gain only a few more dB - you really can't tell the difference between 50W and 100W by ear, but it will make a big difference to a 60W speaker!

I was actually quite happy with the low-volume tone I can get from my Tremoverb with two V30s just by itself, until I started using the attenuator as well. It's not quite as good as attenuated, but it's perfectly usable until you get down to *really* low (bedroom type) volume. There's a fairly sharp tone cutoff at about the 1W level, I think (I haven't measured it). As long as you're above that, it doesn't start to really sound a lot better until you get up to 70-80% of full output and the rectifier compression really kicks in.

(Edit for confusing typo.)

Thanks everyone for your replys. Ofcourse i am thinking about pulling tubes and using attenuators, and i will try these solutions when i get the 2x12 cab. Under this topic, we are looking for an answer to getting good tones with a 1x12 cab at home, this is why i said "not gonna use attenuators or not gonna pull tubes".
YellowJacket you said "using several options all at once makes the results much more effective". I want to try to mix these solutions when i get the cab and will write a review about that topic. For now i have to wait for the local dealer get his new shipment and then i will try most of the cabs with my TR.
I don't know enough about yellow jackets, i am searching them now.

Latest posts

Back