Decision time

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnoel64

Reaction score
I have decided I want a "real" Recto. I already have a Badlander 25 and I LOVE that amp. It's a pure rock and roll machine. But I've been GASsing for one of the mini rectifiers. So, it's down to a Rectoverb 25 or the standard Mini Rectifier. I found one comparison video on YT, but I can't see the settings, so I can't determine how much leeway there is. In that video, the Rectoverb seemed to have more low mids - something I personally enjoy especially after using an Electradyne for a long time. The mini Recto just seemed thinner and a little brighter. Again, if I were able to see how the guy dialed them in, it could sway my opinion on either amp.

Has anyone here compared both in the real world? I totally understand how tone is very subjective, but I am open to hear opinions from those that have actual experience with these little beasts.

And yes, I know the 25 watt versions are not the same as a Dual Rec or Triple Rec. The minis only use diodes instead of rectifier tubes. I'm totally ok with that. It's not the mechanics for me, it's the sound.

I personally am not a fan of the EL84 tubes. However, I did have an opportunity to hear a Mesa TA30 combo and thought that sounded really good. As for the mini recto amps, are they not both the same but one with reverb? Not familiar with the lunch box versions.

Have you seen this video yet? A comparison of the BAD25 to the RECTOV25. Thought it was interesting. I assume this is done with the load box you see in the right side of the screen.

I've never been a big fan of EL84s either. But my BL 25 changed my mind. Of course, only Mesa could accomplish that in my opinion!
That looks like my Captor X on top of the heads.
I never thought my BL 25 sounded anything like a standard Recto. To me, Mesa out-Marshalled Marshall with that amp with a touch of Boogie flavor. If it were 3 channels, it would be **** near perfect.
I was able to find the amp settings in the one video I saw; supposedly, both amps were set the same. Both were recorded with the same cab, etc. After listening again and again, the mini rectifier did have the same girth as the RV, but it was just tighter. When comparing specs on both amps, the RV has one extra preamp tube, obviously for the spring reverb tank.
Thanks for this vid, Bandit. Now I'm thinking I could just put an EQ pedal in the loop and get a little closer to a "true" Recto tone.

I never thought my BL 25 sounded anything like a standard Recto. To me, Mesa out-Marshalled Marshall with that amp with a touch of Boogie flavor. If it were 3 channels, it would be **** near perfect.
FWIW I was curious about the el84s as well, so I preserved my bank account and instead ran the Badlander preamp into my LSS power amp. It was most excellent. Much of the character of what I hear from the 50W was present but there was a bit of smoothness in the less gainy settings that I appreciated. I would not hesitate to go for the BL 25, Unlike the V:35, V:25 vs the V:90 where they have compromised on the voicings, this is the same preamp.

BTW, I also agree if there were 3 chans it would be near perfect. Right now I have to make a choice between one of the voicings and that isn't easy. For my live rig currently run Clean Ch 1, Crush Ch 2 and boost Ch 1 for Crunch Rhythm. Just love the BLdr.

Latest posts

Back