NAD: Black Mesa Multi Watt Dual Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayh

Reaction score
It's not technically NAD yet but Sweetwater has shipped the black tolex Mesa Dual Rec. Once I have it and read the manual (haven't owned the multi-watt version before) I'll probably wander around here for some tips. But while waiting and sitting at the computer may as well pop in an say hello first.

I have a widebody 2x12 Mesa Rectifier cab already. Rest of chain as it is today

ISP decimator/debugger
Crybaby Wah
Keeley Compressor
MXR chorus
Boss DD-8
Hydra Reverb/Trem
Beringher Tube Screamer knockoff - $18 on sale and I'm not going to tell you what it's beat out, but see how it goes with new amp
Fractal expression pedal can use as volume

And a new house with a spectacular finished basement/mancave space. Have 1 useless upper window I will need to soundproof but otherwise the layout is extremely well-enclosed and shouldn't bother neighbors. I won't be able to crank it when wife is here, but her lifestyle and long commute have her out a fair bit.

Plan on using the loop day to day unless I can't live with it, see how that goes. For recording if I need to bypass to sound right I will.

Anyway will catch up later I'm sure I'll learn a few things

I would recommend using the amp without anything else plugged in at first. Add the other stuff once you become familiar with the amp.

Just got the exact same amp from Sweetwater a few weeks back. I also have both a rev G and a rev F 2 channel. The multiwatt easily does the tones from both of the old two channels. I absolutely love it!

You probably beat me out of one of them. But it just delivered so we're all good

Have to say this seems like a much improved amp across the board. It's early going so far but the modern channel feels somewhat different than I remember from another iteration years ago, but not in an overall better or worse way. Well within the same ballpark and fully satisfied with what I'm getting so far.

I've been dialing in cleans mostly today but vastly better. Way back when I have a more convoluted setup with a 2nd amp for cleans (which was a Deluxe reverb and great amp to have around anyway), I don't get quite that but good in its own way. I'll get into crunch a bit more later on but early results were fantastic too.

Not a huge forum reader on amps but am aware of some of the feedback and YouTube info. My very early take is that this is an extremely "complete" version of the amp, at least for my preferences.

Haven't got into the loop yet on this one, want to try the modulation stuff in front also. Should add I'm a walking shill for the new decimator/debugger I love that to death, and hope I can get what I need from the loop to use it to potential. It's very capable of handling regular stuff but also 60 cycle hum in a way that really works well, even with a Strat with a true SC neck.

As mentioned I do have one weak spot downstairs here in terms of soundproofing. I moved to 50w mode and set up in a spot that should make it a non-issue for the moment. One 11' x 7' high framed wall and a solid core door would remove any concerns there, and give me a closed off office space with a window besides.

Trying on low, near bedroom volume - about what it ever was, it's not the same and the dial need a lot of work. I can definitely get it satisfying to play but I think the plan here is this stays off when the wife is around in favor of a modeler into the PC for practice or writing parts.

I do have to think through my recording approach, leaning toward finding a good IR. Throwing my old SM58 on the 2x12 is an option too and that's the way I've always done bit but I'm long overdue to start recording dry signals properly. Have never owned a dedicated DI box and never used those functions on a modeler. But it's a new day, new house and gear etc.

A month later:

Now paired up with an Tone King Ironman II attenuator which is far and away the nicest surprise I've had in gear for a while. I experimented with a couple multipurpose devices that also attenuate but they were nothing like this Ironman. Not cheap, and not packed with features, but the wide range of settings, sound quality + the line level out are the only ones I cared about. I didn't even know attenuators had gotten to be this good.

Mostly I just take about 10db off (still crazy loud) but with the wife around I go a little lower and late night I go way down. The great thing about it is a lazy simpleton like myself can dial in the three channels and cover about everything I need to and (mostly) stop fiddling around, just the attenuator dial as needed.

I did settle in on using the loop day-to-day, it's certainly fine, but will bypass for any serious tracking and do (most) modulation stuff post-cabinet. Not that anyone would actually care what I'm doing anyway it's mostly for me.

But for sure a good attenuator is vastly better than a poor one, or using the loop as a master. It stings a little price-wise but consistent with the "buy once, cry once" approach I've been trying to keep to.

Next up, try it with the IRs I have. Pretty sure I'm done miking cabs although the Mesa Rec 2x12 widebody is a fine cab for that, I can't imagine I'll ever need better than a few good IRs for what I do.

jayh said:
A month later:

Now paired up with an Tone King Ironman II attenuator which is far and away the nicest surprise I've had in gear for a while. I experimented with a couple multipurpose devices that also attenuate but they were nothing like this Ironman. Not cheap, and not packed with features, but the wide range of settings, sound quality + the line level out are the only ones I cared about. I didn't even know attenuators had gotten to be this good.

Mostly I just take about 10db off (still crazy loud) but with the wife around I go a little lower and late night I go way down. The great thing about it is a lazy simpleton like myself can dial in the three channels and cover about everything I need to and (mostly) stop fiddling around, just the attenuator dial as needed.

I did settle in on using the loop day-to-day, it's certainly fine, but will bypass for any serious tracking and do (most) modulation stuff post-cabinet. Not that anyone would actually care what I'm doing anyway it's mostly for me.

But for sure a good attenuator is vastly better than a poor one, or using the loop as a master. It stings a little price-wise but consistent with the "buy once, cry once" approach I've been trying to keep to.

Next up, try it with the IRs I have. Pretty sure I'm done miking cabs although the Mesa Rec 2x12 widebody is a fine cab for that, I can't imagine I'll ever need better than a few good IRs for what I do.

I for one always appreciate a good take on the reactive load, attenuator topic when it involves a Mesa. Wasn't familiar with the details of the Tone King but I see they have a interesting attenuator implementation with the transformer coupled speaker section. That's pretty cool vs the typical resistor tap for attenuation.

Curious... what were the other "multipurpose devices" you experimented with?

Latest posts

Back