Tried a Dual Recto - confused

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
So my friend and I decided to visit Thomann, a huge European music shop in Germany.

The Dual Recto (3 channel) was of course among the heads we just HAD to hear. I read through the manual and stuff to see how I could approach it and I remembered something but trusted my ears and stuff too so we could spend less time tweaking and more time playing.

Anyway we tried it through a MESA cab with an LTD M300FM (EMG81-60 combo) so I don't think pickups are the cause here... the "confused" in the topic title relates to the gain level of this beast.

I was pretty shocked to find that the only channel with enough compression/gain to really play metal with comfortably (and mind you I'm one of those guys who likes to use lower gain settings and pick hard) was CH3 Modern, there rest were more of a crunch tone... I thought this was pretty much your basic metal monster with the ability to rock n' roll.
Anyway I kept Treble on around noon to 1 o'clock, mids on about 11 o'clock, bass on less than noon and gain at 1-2 o'clock and below, Presence below 11 o'clock and Master on around 10-11 o'clock on 100W and around noon on 50W... OK I admit that amp could have been a lemon but besides the lack of gain it sounded fine, tone wise.

Is this how a Recto should sound/feel like or was that amp probably fkd up in some way? I noticed there was humongous popping when switching channels that didn't go away with the "switch in standby" trick.

What adds to my confusion is comparing to my TriAxis. I know Lead 1 Red is just a slight approximation of a Recto, but still, I have spades of gain available and I think 6 on Gain and Lead Drive is over the top.

Nope, not a lemon. The dual Rec is actually more of a crunchy rock/hard rock amp that can be pushed into classic and some modern metal territory. With a decent overdrive pedal set up as a boost, the amp can be tighter and more controlled for the metal stuff.

The Triaxis and Mark series have more usable gain on tap and a stiffer feel. Oh, and unfortunately the popping noise when switching channels is normal. A bad design that they never bothered to correct.

I agree with the above statement. The Rectos aren't gainiac monsters to my ears, which sort of surprised me too back when I came from a Solid State head to an all tube head (Triple Rec). When I had a 5150 II and a Triple Rectifier at the same time, the gain of the 5150 was way over the top compared to the Recto. I found that with the Peavey, the gain, if pushed too much, would compensate for clarity and "depth" of the tone, and that's what I liked my Rectos and why I kept them when going to new gear. The drive of the head allows for enough saturation without just smothering it in searing gain. I also use Vintage mode rather than Modern for my tone, Maxon OD808 as boost for solos, and they can get real heavy.

-AJH

Gain doesn't automatically = heavy tone. The Dual Recto ROARS with thick, complex tube goodness in a way that many so called 'metal' amps lack. But ya, it is much more of a huge crunchy modern rock / grunge amp than a metal beast. I find it odd that many people overlook the Mark V when I think that amp excels at metal by comparison.

YellowJacket said:
Gain doesn't automatically = heavy tone. The Dual Recto ROARS with thick, complex tube goodness in a way that many so called 'metal' amps lack. But ya, it is much more of a huge crunchy modern rock / grunge amp than a metal beast. I find it odd that many people overlook the Mark V when I think that amp excels at metal by comparison.

+1. Many think the gain knob is a distortion control. Heavy is in the EQ and Playing.

IMO the Rectos are not as compressed as the Marks, and that what makes the Rectos feel "non-metal". Pushing the front end with a boost or OD can give you some of that natural compression.

YellowJacket said:
A Huge Crunchy Modern Rock Beast
8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's how I'll be describing mine now.

Dom

Thanks for your responses, good info!

Actually I LIKED that about the Rectifier I was just surprised because I expected something different. I'm not a gain hound and I know gain isn't the main component of and doesn't automatically equal heavy tone, but it's about the compression/feel when you do the CHUNK palm mute and it sticks together, whereas the Recto's a bit looser, especially with the Recto tracking. Nothing an OD808 (which we also tried out) can't fix.

Thanks for the info again. I think some day I might trade the 2:90/TriAxis for a Mark head and a Recto but the rack rig is just so compact and sounds great too so "some day" might not happen at all but it's an idea. :mrgreen:

I also found the same thing - when I went from a Dual Caliber DC-5 to a Tremoverb, the DC had a *lot* more gain. I don't find it a problem, although I do occasionally run the gain control up full :). The Rectifier is not really that high-gain by modern standards. I use the two channels on the amp for different flavours of rhythm playing, and use a pedal for leads. I don't have a problem with that, it's whatever works. The amp plus pedal sounds better than the old sound I had with just the amp anyway.

APEMAN said:
Hi,
the Recto is not a Distortion Monster like a 5150 or a Diezel .... its qualities come to shine at (very) high volume.

Yup I feel the same thing transfers to my Lead 1 Red mode, I love turning that mode up. :twisted:

I think Rectos often get a bad rap from people who only have ever played them in a store. They're just awful guitar store wanking amps, and leave people wondering why they get such great reviews. Put them in a band setting, and they shine, since they sit in that exact right spot in the mix. I don't know how many amps I've played that sounded better than a Recto at the local shop, yet get swallowed by a Recto at a gig.

For anyone who thinks Rectos don't have enough gain, or aren't heavy enough for metal, I give you Cannibal Corpse. They play Triples, and you can't tell me they aren't heavy/brutal. However, I will say that testing one without a boost is doing it a disservice, and if you don't have a strong picking hand, then you need to look elsewhere-you have to push them to get the sound you want, and they are very unforgiving.

Here is a video of my 2 ch triple rev G, I have the settings listed in the description, but most importantly recorded at bedroom levels with no boost used :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgsJ9oFI6kM

Sounds very gainy to me :wink:

noodles you're dead on there, especially about the boost. Actually we did have a Maxon OD808 to boost it with and I agree you shouldn't try it sans boost but when I try an amp I really want to see what it's capable of then add peripherals to it. The only channel/mode that could be used for metal on it's own is CH3 Modern but Vintage on CH2 sounded fking badass with the boost.

JCDenton yup that's that Recto **** goin' on :D

nice vid JCDenton! both my duals sound mean, gain for days. I use Spongy, Modern with Tube not diod. Not sure why the one in the store sucked, my guess is settings.

halfdriven said:
Not sure why the one in the store sucked, my guess is settings.

I didn't say it sucked. The tone was MARVELOUS. :p
I just said it had less gain than I expected. I have played various high gainers (ENGL Fireball/Powerball/Savage, Mesa Mark V, Peavey 6505) and I'm used to the gain levels of my Marshall JVM my TriAxis/2:90 rig, all of those amps have gain to spare. So the Recto in my eyes was a completely different beast, but what I experienced didn't match my preconception. For example I expected all 3 modes of CH3 or both CH2/3 Modern modes to be the higher-gainy type and it was just CH3 Modern that was really that high-gain compressed kind of thing. We did try using Spongy and tube rectifier and it helped a lot to the "sticky" feel of the amp.
I think it was a pleasant surprise. I thought the Recto was only a savage beast but now I know it's that and a distinguished rock n' roll amp. Definitely on my "must own when I'm old and crazy" list. :lol:

Thanks guys, I think the duals/triples (especially 2 ch rectos, they have a little more gain that is more usable IMO) with the right guitars/pick-ups and strong picking hand equals win! :mrgreen:

Oh and pre amp/power tubes as well :lol:

Back