Triaxis - Help with Gain needed! (+ Review)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also, since trying youre settings last night and then comparing to my settings i can now hear the fizziness in my settings. so i'll probably be tweaking a bit the next few days.

i'm blaming my bad settings on the fact that lately i've been using my POD XTLive on the bogner uberschall model, thats what i use when i'm just chillin in the living room watching tv.

but the main thing of my settings that i remember is gain is around 8, treble somewhere near 5, mid around 4.5, and bass around 4, this is all with LD2 red. so i may start tweaking with the ld2 yellow.

Hi RJ2213,

I have read a lot since joining myself.

This is what I have found.

1. DV should not exceed 5 as it overloads the TL072.

2. The same goes with the Master Volume, should aim for 5 or less

Both of these can cause fizziness, the kind we all hate.

I also read not to use all the same tubes, when going to replace your tubes.

I would have just gone out and bought 5 x JJ 12AX7 high gain tubes.

It is highly recommended that you use Different Tubes.

This applies to TA out of warranty, as this will void it.

WARNING, I have not tried it, but there are members here who have with great results.

V1 - 12AX7 High Gain
V2 - 12ATW lower gain
V3 - 5751 - Lower gain
V4 - 12AX7 High gain, but different brand to V1 as the two blend.
V5- 12BZ7 or 12AX7.

Now I have not tried this yet, as I am shopping around for some bargains. NOS are very hard to get and very pricey.

It is also strongly recommended to try to get NOS and they are far superior to the new Tubes of today.

I should have my Tubes buy next week.

I hope this may help,

Gezza.

well, i was planning on just buying one of these JJ sets
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=6&sub_category_id=37
im just not sure which set.

but tomorrow once my wrist stops hurting i'll try a few things with your recommendations and mix them with some settings closer to visualrocker's. unfortunately itll probably be a few months until i can afford to retube my triaxis due to the fact that ive been on a unpaid medical leave from work for the past six weeks because of a broken hand. once i get closer to buying a set i'll definately be making a thread here.

but thanks for the tips.

Sorry off track again!!!!

I have ordered some of my replacement tubes.

They should be here by Monday.

I have a few others I can mix them with.

1 x 12AX7 Philips Miniwatt flat plate.
1 x Philips ECG 5751 USA NOS Tube.
1 x GE USA 12AT7WC / ECC81 / 6201 NOS electron tubes.

The main ones that tame the best are the V2-12AT7WC and V3-5751, this should improve the overall tone and reduce the fizziness and add more tone.

I also noticed a slight fizziness on some high gain patches, but I have a Mesa Boogie Satellite now, it has a pull Shift on the Presence that alters the tone and adds more bottom end. When I engaged this disappears, but push in, I can just hear it.

So maybe it is there most of the time in High gain, I would not say it is bad, just there. I think it was LD 2 Green/Yellow.

But I think that it is the classic Boogie Tone.

Keep you all posted, on the Tubes,

Gezza

I see a lot of critique of the Dynamic Voice on this board. I guess I understand your reasoning, but I have mine up to 8.0 on my main settings and my tone is killer. I guess it's all a matter of taste.

I had my DV set to 8, which sounded good by itself, but got lost in the mix with my band. I had to cut it back to about 5.

ToneAddictJon said:
IMO tubes make a big difference. It may sound similar after a retube, but it will feel and react differently. I've done retubes that give an amp a completely different sound, and I've done some that sound similar, it all depends on the current tubes vs the ones you replace them with. If you can't tell the difference tubes make, you might want to check your amp, tube amps are meant to sound and feel different with different tubes, or we should just be playing solid state gear if we didn't want that.

I'm so glad that someone mentioned "feel". Disassembled ragged a bit on this guy for wasting time trying to dial in a good tone, saying that he should just spend his time playing. That may work for others, but not for me. When my pick, strings, pickups, guitar body, neck, cables, preamps, power amps, and FX are all locking into the right tone, it feels different. It's true what others have said - a tube amp also has to be turned up loud enough, and some skills have to be there (it's harder to fake with a tube amp). But finding that synergy in your gear makes your music come alive. It makes playing fun and effortless. I made the mistake of changing a few components in my setup at the same time a while back and spent about a year trying to find the synergy again. Yes, it takes that long when you only have a half hour every couple nights. Over the course of that year I got so frustrated I was ready to sell all my gear and quit. And this was after playing for about 15 years. Well, the night I finally combed out the last tangles in my signal path, and found the exact positions in the tone knobs (because as was pointed out, they all affect each other, and can require a lot of tweaking) to get that magic sound AND feel, I played until about 4 in the morning.

Sorry. A long rant. ToneAddict has some great things to say, and he's always done it respectfully, without condescension. Some of these other posts toe the line. Don't encourage somebody to give up or "just start playing an acoustic". Tell them to hang in there and keep tweaking til they find the magic again and get back on track. It's worth tweaking your settings for a year if you enjoy the real magic for the rest of your life. And it sounds from some of these posts like you can find the magic in the TA. Just be patient, and keep up the pursuit like you're doing.

darkalone said:
I see a lot of critique of the Dynamic Voice on this board. I guess I understand your reasoning, but I have mine up to 8.0 on my main settings and my tone is killer. I guess it's all a matter of taste.

Not even just taste - but how it interacts with the rest of your rig, which as someone pointed out earlier, has too many variable to ever be identical to someone elses.

I was never really a fan of the T.A to begin with. I saw JP play live with his T.A rig and I was shocked! Anyways, I remember you talking about getting a boost pedal. It might be what you're looking for.

Kudos.

...Aiiight. In a bit of an update, now i am...

LOVING MY TRIAXIS

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And just to put things in perspective, the other day, I ran my POD XT Live through my 2:90 and 4x12 recto, and OH MY GOD!!! :x :x :x disgustingggggggg.

Not to consolidate Sombra's accusation of me being an EMOBABY, but I really wanted to slit my wrists to put myself out of the misery. GodDAMN it sounded disgusting.

Anyway. What got me on the right track? A combination of things... but it probably began with advice to crank that Triaxis output knob. I really turned it wayyy up, then turned the 2:90 tone, and then kept tweaking my settings... It really came down to achieving a good balance between all of the variables... just the right output on both pre and power amp, EQ settings that were less... extreme than they would be for lower volume output... everything set just right makes the Triaxis sound great.

I even made Lead 2 Red sound good!!! With a bit less gain/treble/drive... I compensated for less treble with a tad more presence. Also, I ran a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 in front of the amp with almost zero gain, and it REALLY smoothed it out. Sounds great!!! :twisted:

Granted, I still hold to my original criticisms, I'm just not AS dissapointed with the Triaxis as I was before. I do still intend to return to a Mark IV, but I guess I'll keep the TA/2:90 for the rest of the year :)

Oh, and the Lead 1 modes are good too 8) except red :( can't make it sound good. Any advice?

Back