Triaxis - Help with Gain needed! (+ Review)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CoG said:
18&Life said:
A little sample to help people about triaxis gain.
Pro tools eq just to take out some bass frequencies.Nothing more.
Last Triaxis test

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=706524

hey 18&Life, are these your clips? Nice playing if so.

No I stole them :wink: But thanks anyway.

ToneAddictJon said:
18&Life said:
Line 6 is crap.

Either you've never used one of their products, or you didn't take any time with it. Line 6 makes some great equipment in my book, and the pod line is amazing tool in the studio. Anyone that insults line 6 like that as a whole has a preconceived notion of anything that isn't tube.

I have a studio so I already played almost every big label's amps.Clients have things I don't even knew their existence :lol:
Line 6 = crap for studing and composing,nothing more than this,just like zoom.
Obviously that is my taste,if you like it that's your problem not mine :wink:

I'm not going to continue arguing with you because all it will do is show which one of us is more immature and. What I will say is it seems you have a very narrow and petty life. Working in a studio doesn't mean a thing. I have a recording degree from the McNally smith school of music. I've built studio gear and amplifiers. I've worked on vintage ssl and trident recording consoles. I'm not some podunk country bumpkin robbing tourists and killing the homeless.

You just have to look at the number of professional recording and performing musicians that use line 6 gear and it's obvious that they are doing something right.

The relevant portion of this thread is this, the triaxis is a pretty good peice of gear. But it sounds like it's not going to give visual rocker what he wants. He might see if he can't spend any time with another pre, and keep the 2:90. An ADA MP1 might be a good choice if he can find one to try out. Or a marshall Jmp-1 or 9001 preamp.

I would kick in one other piece of advice.

If visualrocker is, like he seems to be saying, younger and more of a new player, he'd probably be doing himself a lot of favours in the long run by getting off the gear-go-round for a bit and getting himself a much more basic, lower-wattage tube amp for practice and a Pod for songwriting/demoing/fun. Two cents from an old guy.

msi said:
You just have to look at the number of professional recording and performing musicians that use line 6 gear and it's obvious that they are doing something right. .

To my tastes they are doing something wrong.To my ears line 6 is crap,I can't believe just because they are pros they have to be right !!!
No no pros do and speak wrong things as much as we.They aren't gods,they re human.
Every guitar I recorded (mine or clients) with line6 equipments sounded like crap,pros who use it sound like crap.
Expecially about heavy distortion,there they don't sound like crap,they are crap,digital and lifeless,with an annoying sound like a broken toy.

Anyway visual wants more distortion,mp1,jmp1 won't give you more than triaxis.
Options here

1 his triaxis has a problem
2 he doesn't know how to use it.

Life comes from your fingers, not the amp. A great player can make a cheap amp sing. A poor player will not sound good no matter what's in his rig.

what a nonsense.Everybody playing a zoom will sound like a zoom.
Tone comes from the fingers so why using amps ???
Why using pups ?
Why using picks ?

WHAT A NONSENSE !!!! :evil:

rpdz said:
Life comes from your fingers, not the amp. A great player can make a cheap amp sing. A poor player will not sound good no matter what's in his rig.

+100 . I get compliments when I play my 15 watt marshall valvestate 1x10 combo.

It doesn't means your tone is good,it means that there are people who will like your tone,people won't and people who don't care !
Play to them with a zoom than the same song with a boogie.
Ask them wich one they prefer !!
Answer is obvious.

18&Life said:
It doesn't means your tone is good,it means that there are people who will like your tone,people won't and people who don't care !
Play to them with a zoom than the same song with a boogie.
Ask them wich one they prefer !!
Answer is obvious.

Just saying, if I can get a good tone out of a $50 amp and a $2000 amp, and you can only get a good tone out of a $2000 amp, I think your fingers may need some work. :wink:

I don't think there has been an amp I've played that I couldn't get a decent tone out of, and not everyone can afford a costly amp, I couldn't for years, and learned how to make the most out of whatever I could afford, so instead of insulting lower end products, why not accept that they have a place as well.

Why do people seem to think that the gain thing is MY fault? I posted my settings. I know it's enough gain. YOU know it's enough gain. Hell, even the manual knows its enough gain. :lol:

But the sound just doesn't match up to what it should be! I'm going to find out what the problem is, through systematic deduction.

Visual, have you tried any engl amps? That might be more what you're looking for. The screamer is insane. I also demo'd a fender supersonic today for about an hour and it really impressed me.

visualrocker69 said:
Why do people seem to think that the gain thing is MY fault? I posted my settings. I know it's enough gain. YOU know it's enough gain. Hell, even the manual knows its enough gain. :lol:

But the sound just doesn't match up to what it should be! I'm going to find out what the problem is, through systematic deduction.

the only inaccurate thing in this post is where you say "doesnt match up with what it should be". would be more accurate to say "doesnt match up with what i expected"

i'm gonna go back and try your settings on my triaxis in a few minutes and see what i think of it. i just dont know which guitar i'll use to test with, i can get TOTALLY different tones from now just from switching the guitar i'm using. my caparison horus has a nice round and smooth sound, my RG3120 has a brighter easily distorted tone, my ibanez destroyer is really boomy sounding with mellow highs, my RG450dx with active duncans is just a gain monster. so we'll see how many i can try on your settings tonight.

hmmm, just did a few quick minutes with my caparison. considering that you were most impressed with those settings i now understand a little better what youre shooting for. i'm thinking that you may prefer an engl or MAYBE a Deizel better. or maybe experimenting with a clean boost pedal and the triaxis may give you a little more flexibility with the tone.

unfortunately i'll have to wait to try some of my other guitars on it, i'm recovering from a broken hand and it started hurting a bit, so no playing for an hour or so for me.

Wow!!! Talk about going off the rails..

Ok lets recap, rather than give visualrocker69 what amp to buy next.

lets see if we can fix this!!!!!!!

1. Does the Triaxis have the gain or tones???

2. I went beck to your first post, and you same the TA Volume is on 1.5 - 2.

I read the manual is says 3 - 7 , not sure about this as I have played with mine. I ended up at 5, this makes a big difference.

Again there are more experienced users here than me, so perhaps they can suggest the best place to start.

Also If you are not use any effects your tone will be dry and you mention you have a G- Major, but are you using any effects yet??

If so that could be the problem.

If not, your sound might be too dry, Reverb and slight delay are a must as they add ambiance to your tone.

Also where are you when you listen to your sound?? as I have found to close to the speaker gives you bad sound quality.

I try for a performance distance 5 - 7 feet away, then a face the same as on stage, not facing my amp.

This might sound silly, but I don't think anyone has covered this **** yet.

Big tip, check your leads, I did a gig last Friday night, I thought It didn't sound right, my gain seem week but worked fine, moved the cable Bam, totally different tone and gain, I mean night and day. It went from Sterile sounding **** to a Awesome sounding amp. I hate cables as you can't tell if there dead or dying.

Anyway, we all trying to help you.

Gezza

Hi again,

One more thing, it is well documented that the original Mesa Tubes in the Triaxis are very Fuzzy sounding.

Now they have a direct effect on your tone. Unlike the cheap shitty Pre-amps that have tubes that don't really do anything, On the triaxis each Tube affects the tone.

So that's is also a area to look at.

I am in the process for shopping for new tubes.

I did a search on tubes here, Timberwolf has written many posts on this.

So might also be worth a try, if you complaining about fuzzy tones, that would be cheaper than selling it.

Remember the Triaxis is a programmable Pre-amp, most amps have one or two goods tones.

Gezza.

hooray for getting back on topic instead of everyone bickering. i'd definately try new tubes, the tones i got last night with visual's settings it wasnt sounding bad, but it wasnt sounding great. i think a set of good tubes may really liven it up. i too am using the original stock tubes, once i get the money i'm gonna try some JJ's.

mine are much different from yours, i get a sound closer to a death metal type of tone.

but i was curious how you have the presence set on teh 2:90 and if youre using any of the 3 modes.

Back