Triaxis - Help with Gain needed! (+ Review)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

visualrocker69

Reaction score
Hi! So I've been playing the Triaxis for a few weeks now. I'm using it through a version one 2:90 power amp and a 4x12 traditional rectifier cabinet. Also using an EBMM Petrucci model (pre-2006) with the modded Steve's Special pickup in the bridge position.

So far I've only used the two rhythm modes and Lead 2 Yellow. I'm getting phenommenal cleans with ease... my issue is with the gain of the Lead mode.

I can't seem to get the lead tone saturated enough without pushing it into some kind of harsh artificial sounding fizziness! I don't know if it's an issue with the TA, my pickups, or what :shock:

Here are my settings:

Channel: Lead 2 Yellow
Gain: 7.5 - 8.0
Treble: 6.5 - 7.5
Middle: 4.5 - 5.0
Bass: 2.0 - 3.5
Lead Drive: 7.5 - 8.0
Master: 3.5 - 4.0
Presence: 2.0 - 3.5
Dynamic Voice :)x grrrr): 0.0 - 3.5 ... After I figure out the EQ on my G Major... NO MORE DV! Especially not above 2.0

Triaxis master output is between 1.5 and 2. The 2:90's levels are set anywhere from 9:00 to 12:00, depending on how loud it's appropriate to play (I live in a college dorm). Oh and I tend to turn the bass down to 2.0 and then use deep mode to compensate.

Anyway... those settings should yield more than enough gain, right? Well they're not! To me it sounds like a Mark IV at gain/lead drive 6.5 at MOST, knobs not pulled. Could this be a tube problem? Maybe the Steve's Special bridge pickup just has no balls? Any advice?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for other modes... my initial impression was not a good one. I'm not very impressed with the Triaxis, to tell the truth. Sure, it looks good on paper. The cleans are amazing beyond words. However, its flaws outweigh its advantages.

Essentially, all the bad things I've read about it are true. I mean, as far as lead tones go, its still pretty decent, but I have unreasonably high standards, especially for someone who's new to tube amps.

Compared to the Mark IV, the lead tone is not just weak, it's... sterile, lifeless, artificial, grainy, fizzy... Besides, compared to the Mark IV's Graphic EQ, the Dynamic Voice is a fucking JOKE, mannnn! I really miss the push-pull knobs of the Mark IV as well. Also, the inability to dial in EQ accurately is rather frustrating. For example, below 3.0 and above 8.0, the controls go in increments of ONE. So you can't dial in 2.5 for bass, 8.5 for lead gain, 1.5 for presence, etc. Are you fucking kidding me? It's painfully obvious how digital preamp technology has evolved, but the Triaxis has remained frozen in time.

Also, while its theoretical versatility is pretty incredible, I didn't feel that the preamp lived up to it in reality. Rather than being unique and distinct, the modes were more like elements of the same spectrum. This is probably more the case for the Lead 2 modes. I feel, as many people have said, that Lead 2 Yellow is the most usable one. However, I haven't spent enough time with the other modes yet. I certainly will do that before I write them off completely... :?

In conclusion, it seems the Triaxis is either a) a relic of the past or b) SERIOUSLY in need of an update.

I had almost the same experience with my TA as you are. I traded my MK IV for one as I never really liked the cleans of the Mk IV (too "clean" for me) and Rhy 2. The TA solved both those issues with nice, big, round, loose, cleans with a tad of dirt thrown in that I could never get from the Mk, plus better "mid-gain" sounds than the Mk's Rhy2.

However, while I got the sound of the "lead" channels fairly close to the Mk's, they never obtained the feel I was used to out of a good tube amp. It just didn't have "it" for lack of a better word. Maybe hid under another layer of effects processing it might have fooled me, or the crowd, some more, but I'm kinda basic when it comes to my effect needs when I play.

What did work best for me was using a graphic eq in the signal path to take that tone-sucking DV out of the mix, and turning it up to get those power tubes cooking. The last one you may have a problem with being in a dorm room. If you're using any effect, don't run them in the loop, but run them in series from TA to 290. Plus, like any Mesa product, the controls interact with each other, so a lot of "knob-twiddling" should be expected to get the best out of it.

visualrocker69 said:
Hi! So I've been playing the Triaxis for a few weeks now. I'm using it through a version one 2:90 power amp and a 4x12 traditional rectifier cabinet. Also using an EBMM Petrucci model (pre-2006) with the modded Steve's Special pickup in the bridge position.

So far I've only used the two rhythm modes and Lead 2 Yellow. I'm getting phenommenal cleans with ease... my issue is with the gain of the Lead mode.

I can't seem to get the lead tone saturated enough without pushing it into some kind of harsh artificial sounding fizziness! I don't know if it's an issue with the TA, my pickups, or what :shock:

Here are my settings:

Channel: Lead 2 Yellow
Gain: 7.5 - 8.0
Treble: 6.5 - 7.5
Middle: 4.5 - 5.0
Bass: 2.0 - 3.5
Lead Drive: 7.5 - 8.0
Master: 3.5 - 4.0
Presence: 2.0 - 3.5
Dynamic Voice :)x grrrr): 0.0 - 3.5 ... After I figure out the EQ on my G Major... NO MORE DV! Especially not above 2.0

Triaxis master output is between 1.5 and 2. The 2:90's levels are set anywhere from 9:00 to 12:00, depending on how loud it's appropriate to play (I live in a college dorm). Oh and I tend to turn the bass down to 2.0 and then use deep mode to compensate.

Anyway... those settings should yield more than enough gain, right? Well they're not! To me it sounds like a Mark IV at gain/lead drive 6.5 at MOST, knobs not pulled. Could this be a tube problem? Maybe the Steve's Special bridge pickup just has no balls? Any advice?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for other modes... my initial impression was not a good one. I'm not very impressed with the Triaxis, to tell the truth. Sure, it looks good on paper. The cleans are amazing beyond words. However, its flaws outweigh its advantages.

Essentially, all the bad things I've read about it are true. I mean, as far as lead tones go, its still pretty decent, but I have unreasonably high standards, especially for someone who's new to tube amps.

Compared to the Mark IV, the lead tone is not just weak, it's... sterile, lifeless, artificial, grainy, fizzy... Besides, compared to the Mark IV's Graphic EQ, the Dynamic Voice is a f%&# JOKE, mannnn! I really miss the push-pull knobs of the Mark IV as well. Also, the inability to dial in EQ accurately is rather frustrating. For example, below 3.0 and above 8.0, the controls go in increments of ONE. So you can't dial in 2.5 for bass, 8.5 for lead gain, 1.5 for presence, etc. Are you f%&# kidding me? It's painfully obvious how digital preamp technology has evolved, but the Triaxis has remained frozen in time.

Also, while its theoretical versatility is pretty incredible, I didn't feel that the preamp lived up to it in reality. Rather than being unique and distinct, the modes were more like elements of the same spectrum. This is probably more the case for the Lead 2 modes. I feel, as many people have said, that Lead 2 Yellow is the most usable one. However, I haven't spent enough time with the other modes yet. I certainly will do that before I write them off completely... :?

In conclusion, it seems the Triaxis is either a) a relic of the past or b) SERIOUSLY in need of an update.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

visualrocker69 said:
Had one, widebody combo, was gonna switch to a head/cab setup, got caught up in the whole rack/triaxis hype, feel like a fool now... :x

BTDT

Didn't I read you wanted to try and get away from from that Boogie signature tone.. try EL34s... (or was that someone else?)?

Good thing TAs still command good coin on eBay on the right day -

Get a Stiletto II Deuce.

Ehhh I think I'm starting to lose faith in Mesa altogether lol. In a few years, I want to end up with a Custom Audio OD-100 SE. Everyone says the cleans are heavenly. And from what I've heard, the gain structure is very Mesa-esque... with a tad more human-like quality. :)

visualrocker69 said:
Ehhh I think I'm starting to lose faith in Mesa altogether lol. In a few years, I want to end up with a Custom Audio OD-100 SE. Everyone says the cleans are heavenly. And from what I've heard, the gain structure is very Mesa-esque... with a tad more human-like quality. :)

Isn't that why you went to mesa to begin with........based off of what people said?

Maybe you should LEARN how to get your sound out of YOUR gear before pawning it off going on a never ending journey based off of other people's opinion. I can find a decent tone out of most equipment just because I know what I like. If you don't know what you want then changing tubes, brands, models, doesn't do much for you other than create doubt when you dial in settings that you didn't find yourself through trial and error. If you can't dial in your tone sometimes changing amps doesn't teach you anything.

Oh any for your settings, first off, try different modes don't stick with LD2 Yel for everything because it is really smooth and was built for leads. The settings shouldn't appeal to your eyes so don't get stuck on "if I had the amp infront of me I would dial in 1.5 for this control". I find I like LD2 Yel with the mid set very low and sometimes have it set to '0' because the mode has such a mid voicing I try not to peak it by running the control too high. The Deep mode on the 290 adds a lot of noise and sounds terrible in my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't use any of the modes of the 290.

For dealing with the gain issues.......maybe you've read some posts of people having trouble with their amps in certain locations. Have you tried playing in a different location to see if it sounds the same? Maybe it's your ears? Without providing clips it would be nearly impossible to even say there's a problem.

Playing a tube amp at low volumes is a waste. If you are to sell anything it should be the 2/90 and you should move to a 20/20 or even a solid state amp for practicing.

Hell, maybe you should just go acoustic and be done with amps.

Greg

I agree with a lot of what disassembled wrote. With ANY mesa amp, you should be able to get amazing tones that are suitable for any style of music, if you're not, look at your hands first, these amps really show what kind of a guitarist you are, if you can't play at least at an intermediate level, tube amps aren't the way to go. I don't know how long you've been playing or what level you're at and I don't mean that to be offensive, just one thing to look at. Some guitar/amp combo's just don't work together as well, it may be your guitar(s) just don't sound good with that combo (I've never been a fan of the tone of EBMM Petruci models with the mark series). Could also be the cab. Every triaxis I've played on has had more than enough gain available for any style- what kind of picks do you use? Thin picks aren't going to have the attack of thick picks. If it was me, I'd get something like a line 6 spider especially for practicing at low levels, and hang onto the mesa gear for when you can turn it up, especially in a dorm- mesa and low volume don't get along at all. Don't make the same mistake twice and get rid of another mesa that you don't have the feel for yet, or because it's not a plug and play amp, and any other high end amp you get is gonna be the same story.

The triaxis can be frustrating to dial in but the heavy tones are in there. But, if you don't want the brain damage of the TA and still want to go rack go with a Studio Preamp. The cleans are just as beautiful as the TA and the lead channel is basically the IIC+ and sounds fantastic.

Guys, guys, guys. I get what you're saying. But it's not an issue of me not being able to dial in tones or crank it enough etc. I've literally devoured the manual and compared notes with other people's recommended settings. And there are times in the day when it's appropriate for me to crank the hell out of it - I just keep it down when people are studying/sleeping.

Thing is - and this is the reality of it - I'm just not getting a nice, thick, saturated lead tone. I'm really starting to think it might be a combination of pickups and amps... If you've seen the Images & Words live @ Tokyo DVD, the tone that I'm getting is very similar to that (minus the doubling). It's weak and thin... even Petrucci himself described it as single coil-ish.

It's seems like a completely clean tone coloured with overdrive, but not with the dynamics/characteristics of overdrive to the extent that it should. It feels and sounds like like I'm playing an already mildly saturated tone, and in addition to that the volume knob of my guitar ist turned halfway down. It just should sound so **** WEAK at my settings! I know - I've read the manual! Gain at 8 is pleeeeeeeeeeeeentyyyyyyy.

I repeat - could the tubes need changing?

Also - I'm running it mono now. How do I set it up properly for stereo? 4 ohm or 8 ohm outputs on the 2:90 into the 4 ohm split inputs on my 4x12?

lockbody said:
Didn't I read you wanted to try and get away from from that Boogie signature tone.. try EL34s... (or was that someone else?)?

Yup, that was me. Still working on it. I just wanna give the TA a fair chance so that I know it completely should I ever decide to integrate it into a rack, etc.

disassembled said:
Maybe you should LEARN how to get your sound out of YOUR gear before pawning it off going on a never ending journey based off of other people's opinion.

Well, it happens that I was quite pleased with my Mark IV, and THAT was based on "other people's opinions". But you do have a very good point. Which is precisely why, rather than buying/selling on an impulse, I'm attempting to get the Board's feedback and intergrate things I learn into the time I am continuing to spend with my Triaxis, before I eventually decide whether or not I want to keep it.

But lets face it - if I want an ENGL Savage 120 high gain rhythm tone, I will NOT be able to dial it into a TA. The issue isn't that I can't dial in good tones - I'm getting fairly good TRIAXIS tones (except the gain issues)... but it might just be that the TRIAXIS sound isn't the sound I want. However, it does have a great lead tone and amazing cleans. It or a similar product (quad, studio pre) will definately have a place in my future hypothetical rack, even IF I don't keep it for the time being.

ToneAddictJon said:
I agree with a lot of what disassembled wrote. With ANY mesa amp, you should be able to get amazing tones that are suitable for any style of music, if you're not, look at your hands first, these amps really show what kind of a guitarist you are, if you can't play at least at an intermediate level, tube amps aren't the way to go. I don't know how long you've been playing or what level you're at and I don't mean that to be offensive, just one thing to look at. Some guitar/amp combo's just don't work together as well, it may be your guitar(s) just don't sound good with that combo (I've never been a fan of the tone of EBMM Petruci models with the mark series). Could also be the cab. Every triaxis I've played on has had more than enough gain available for any style- what kind of picks do you use? Thin picks aren't going to have the attack of thick picks. If it was me, I'd get something like a line 6 spider especially for practicing at low levels, and hang onto the mesa gear for when you can turn it up, especially in a dorm- mesa and low volume don't get along at all. Don't make the same mistake twice and get rid of another mesa that you don't have the feel for yet, or because it's not a plug and play amp, and any other high end amp you get is gonna be the same story.

Weeee, this is fun. I've been playing for over six years. I think I'm as intermediate as they come. I'm kinda stuck at this level due to lack of innate ability combined with a lack of time to consistently practice, so I don't think that I'll ever improve, realistically; just acquire more experience. But I'm at a level where I can make the music I write come to life, and that's enough for me. I don't need to be able to shred in order to appreciate good tone - and pursue it. I don't appreciate when you people who are a) VASTLY talented or b) have VAST amounts of practice time look down your noses at guys like me and tell us that we should just get a Line 6 product. It's both condescending and patronizing :(

If my playing is mediocre, at least can it be mediocre playing with good tone?

i don't get it.....you ask for advice and when we give it you take it as a personal stab on your character.

Dude get over the name of the gear you use and focus on playing. You know what? Instead of spending time practicing you are dialing in tones or looking for help dialing in tones. You need to seriously grow up if someone recommends you use a Line6 product and you take it as someone just kicked your mom in the kid chute.

I am not a good guitar player but my amps make me play better (i got lucky obviously). If I spend my time tweaking I am not spending time playing which hurts me in the end. Maybe my tone isn't the best but it's more important that I am able to play continuously and focus on improving.

I understand you are young and probably immature but you are posting very contradictory things and is quite confusing to myself and probably others.

You and I have very different philosophies about playing/tonal importance but since I can afford to own many things at once it is easier for me to screw around with different pieces of gear. The truth about the matter is the name on the gear doesn't matter and is usually a mental thing. It's certainly a mental thing for me but I have found some things which I enjoy and am very thankful. They happen to be Mesa's but in 10 years they may not be they may be Axe FX or Line 6 who knows? Who cares? As long as I get to play. You know I didn't really start to improve my playing until I bought a good guitar (Parker Fly Classic) so you may be looking in the wrong places to find the problem.

This post isn't very helpful, I know, but I don't know what the hell else to tell you since you know everything we are saying. Necessity is the mother of invention and you will work out your issues over time as long as you force yourself to "stay the course."

For your question about stereo:

1st of all I believe it is complete uneccessary since you are running 1 cab but here you go:

Your speaker should have the stereo plate on the back which will divide your cabinet into 2 halves. One side should be 4 ohms but you should reference the jack on your cab.

Mono your cab is 8 ohms meaning you should have (4) 8 ohm speakers inside (this is following traditional boogie specs) but you should verify in case it was modded.

So hook the 4 ohm jack of each channel on your 290 to each stereo jack on the cab.

If your cab is wired for Mono only then you can't run stereo without changing the wiring.

Greg

I would definitely try a full retube (both TA and 2:90) especially if you got them used.
I truly have no idea what skill level you're at, and I don't think recommending a different product for low level practice is condescending or patronizing, I have used/owned many line 6 products that sound killer at low volume, like I said these are ideas, and I was recomending that on top of your mesa not in place of it. IMO everyone should own a practice amp, they come in handy- I use a Marshall 15 watt valvestate combo with a Boss DS-1 in front of it when I don't need or want to drag my expensive gear around.
Nothing wrong with being a mediocre player and wanting good tone, but with tube amps, your hands aren't gonna be giving you the full tone potential.
I would try a different guitar with it as well, and putting an eq after the TA may help get you a little closer to your sounds. Unless you are using multiple cabs and/or stereo effects there's no reason to hook it up in stereo.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for wasting your time on me.
I forgot,emobabies waste their time thinking about how to kill themselves and how to use make-ups !!!
So wasting your time on me is not a waste :lol:

BTW do you really think I care about what you think about me ?
You don't even exist in my mind,you are just a brainless emobaby who are always following what others say,you don't have personal tastes,you are only a bunch of make-up who don't know even how to kill yourself :lol:
I'll teach you,swallow a bottle of whisky on a penthouse.Next minute you'll be flying :lol:

18&Life said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for wasting your time on me.
I forgot,emobabies waste their time thinking about how to kill themselves and how to use make-ups !!!
So wasting your time on me is not a waste :lol:

I can't even begin to understand why someone whose user name is a Skid Row song is talking **** about me using makeup :? Or why I'm being called an emobaby? I don't listen to emo music, but by your lingo, are you a glambaby or what? :roll:

Back