Mark V or VII

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious why this is a flaw in your book since historically speaking that's where the GEQ is "supposed to go" on a Mark? I'm not entirely certain what practical difference it would make outside of maybe hyper specific use cases?

I have a V and IV and used to have a III, wherever the GEQ is has never made a difference that I've thought about or noticed. Except one time I ran the preamp of my IV into the power amp of my IV and was all confused when it sounded like a honky turd. That's when I found out about the different GEQ locations and realized I had managed to bypass both :LOL:
I thought I had replied to this, but it's not here now..... Here it is again:
I explained it in my previous post: "And the GEQ AFTER the FX return?! What a ridiculous place for it. I hear that the V is the ONLY Mark that has the EQ in the right place... strange. I run 3 amps in stereo wet/dry/wet, with the V as the preamp, FX send, splits to return dry (post-EQ) to the V power amp, and thru a stereo FX chain that returns to the 2 other power amps. 1 preamp, 3 power amps. So I need the EQ before the send so I have the same preamp sound in all amps, one dry, two with stereo FX. If the EQ was post-return, I'd have to buy another GEQ to put 1st in the loop, so it would affect all amps, and I'd have to keep the GEQ on the amp off, because it would double up on the Mark amp" with another added in the loop.
Basically, EQ is part of the finished preamp tone. That finished tone should be what comes out of the FX send, so it can be used with other power amps, or a cab sim/modeler device. The only things that should be post-return are reverb and the power amp.

I explained it in my previous post: "And the GEQ AFTER the FX return?! What a ridiculous place for it. I hear that the V is the ONLY Mark that has the EQ in the right place... strange. I run 3 amps in stereo wet/dry/wet, with the V as the preamp, FX send, splits to return dry (post-EQ) to the V power amp, and thru a stereo FX chain that returns to the 2 other power amps. 1 preamp, 3 power amps. So I need the EQ before the send so I have the same preamp sound in all amps, one dry, two with stereo FX. If the EQ was post-return, I'd have to buy another GEQ to put 1st in the loop, so it would affect all amps, and I'd have to keep the GEQ on the amp off, because it would double up on the Mark amp" with another added in the loop.
Basically, EQ is part of the finished preamp tone. That finished tone should be what comes out of the FX send, so it can be used with other power amps, or a cab sim/modeler device. The only things that should be post-return are reverb and the power amp.

Ah I gotcha, that’s definitely pretty important then for your setup!

I though you did too.

If you are splitting the signal from the FX loop, having the GEQ up front is a benefit. Say you did have a Mark VII, you would need a GEQ pedal after the signal split that runs to separate power amps. More cost and such. As if the Mark VII was not expensive enough. If you are just using the slave out jack, that is post OT on the speaker side. Same with the cab clone stuff. Perhaps if you just had the Triple Crown, you could add a GEQ as the first effect and split after that. What about the presence controls? Those follow the FX loop and only affect the phase inverter. Extreme would not have the same effect when feeding out from the FX loop with a splitter. Mesa had a solution for those who want to run stereo amps, or wet/dry/wet (which would have required two of them). Odd that it is 90W as this was out when the Mark III was near its end of production. Perhaps it was meant for the Mark IV? It has its own presence control and GEQ with some pulls for tone shaping. I wanted one but never bought one.

SimulSatellite.JPG

Back