Triaxis/2:90 v.s. Mark 4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

visualrocker69

Reaction score
Saw this thread here, and thought it was revelevent in this section too. I'd like to see some more opinions on this, and as it's only in the rack section, we'll probably never hear from half of you.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=109574#109574

Thanks.

DaveyJack said:
Can you get better?

Yeah, GEQ and something about "there's no substitute for the nuances of dialing in with real knobs".

Anyway, is the sound 100% true to the Mark series when used with the 2:90?

Why do people end up geting heads instead? Price?

Yeah, the triaxis itself is not that expensive, but you have to buy a poweramp ( in this case th 2:90).

I think that the sound is not really changed when using the 2:90 because I think this one is running with 6V6, which is the same as Marks.

The Triaxis is a bit intimidating too. If you have no MIDI knowledge, one would be more likely to play safe with a "simple" Mark head ( which are not simple at all! :p)

I've had both and I have to say that I prefer my Mark IV combo over my old Triaxis/290 setup. I loved my Triaxis rig. It was extremely versitile, and having the Midi switching was very convenient. However I'd always find myself ending up using only 2 of the modes about 95% of the time, R1 Green and L2 Yellow. I used a TC Electronic G-major with it (awesome unit!), but again I found myself only using a few of the effects in it most of the time. I also grew very tired of the little buttons and menus of rack gear. I was pushing 2 recto 2x12 cabs with it in stereo. It was LOUD!!!! More times then not, too loud. The stereo 2:90 was nice, but most of the time due to limited stage space I'd simply stack the 2 cabs vertically, so the stereo image was pretty much lost. I decided after replacing EIGHT power tubes a couple of times and hauling all of that crap arround for a few years (my back payed for it too), that it was time to downsize.

Now I have a 91' Mark IVa combo (with casters... yeah!) with the EV 200 watt black shadow and a small pedal board with about 5 homemade pedals on it. This rig has all the tones from the Triaxis that I loved, is much cheaper to maintain, and is A LOT easier on my back when traveling. After going back to a knob based interface, I'd have a very hard time going back to the irritating little buttons and menus of rack gear.

Triaxis/2:90 was great and would work wonders if I was a world touring pro, but for small clubs and jamming with buds, I simply find that the Mark IV combo and a small pedalboard fit my needs so much better.

Hope this helps.

DaveyJack said:
I think the choice relies on your needs. It would be like buying a Road King when you only need a Single Rectifier.

I'm exactly the kind of person to do that :lol:

My only concern is that the 2:90 requires 8 power tubes. Isn't this overkill? If I only power one cab, do they last longer? I dunno... is there any way to manage using this without it becoming a heavy cost?

If you don't need 2:90, you can look for a 2:50, which can be really nice too.

Too much power isn't better, in fact, it is worst if you don't use it all. A tube that is not run loud doesn't sound as nice as it should be.

It is the same thing as I said with the RoadKing and Single Rcter-thing.

Right, however...

Fret-Shredder said:
t0aj15 said:
I own both a Mark IV and a TriAxis-50/50 rack, and without a doubt I prefer the Mark IV hands down over the TriAxis. Running them side by side it just sounds much better to me then the TriAxis.

Triaxis- 50/50 :? Have you ever tried a 2:90 with your Triaxis? If the answer is NO, and you have not experienced HALF/ DEEP / and MODERN Drive modes you have short changed not only your TRIAXIS but your ears my friend. The TRIAXIS / 2:90 in my opinion is the GRAIL TONE :shock:

18&Life said:
+ 1.000

People use triaxis with other power amps forgeting that 2.90 is its perfect pair.
So if you use other power amp you'll limitate triaxis tones. :wink:

Well, in fact, I do not own a Triaxis myself, but you have to choose between superb options and unused output or power that does fit your needs I think.

The decision would probably rip me appart, too.

I've thought about the Triaxis a lot (and still do), but if I was going to get one I'd couple it with a 20/20 power amp (el84) for a different tone. Then get whatever nice rack fx unit I could find (all I ever use is delay and maybe a little phase now and then). That would make for a 4 space rack unit (including power conditioner) that was fairly light and not overkill for small gigs, then run 2 1x12 cabs (thiele and open back) in stereo. I think a lot of people overlook the 20/20 when it is much more suitable for gigs than a 295, 2100, or 250 (if it's that big of a venue they better have a nice sound system with a decent soundguy).

Agreed. Most people make the assumption that they need a big powerful amp for gigs. Wrong! We can thank legions of 80's metal guitarist for that one. After all, seeing Van Halen back in '85 just wouldn't be the same if Eddie was on stage with only a small combo amp and not his wall of ego-stacks.

The reality of it is, 25-50 watts is more than enough power for the gigs that 90% of guitarist will ever play. Any venue that is too large for such an amp to fill will have it's own PA system that is far better at projecting your tone to the entire audience. Guitar amp speakers are notoriously directional, so no matter how much wattage your pushing, it still will not fill the room like a good PA system with speakers all around the audience.

You're far better off pushing a smaller amp a bit harder (at least with tubes anyway) and mic'ing it up through the house system. The people in the front row will not get their ears cleaned out, and the people in the back row will hear your great tone just as well as the rest of the house.

That said, there is something strangely fun about the excess of rocking through an amp that is taller than you are. I say, if you want it and have the money and the back to carry all of that stuff, go for it. Just don't be surprized when your sound guy and your neighbors keep yelling at you to turn it down.

Yeah, but unless you use a cab/head distributor, which considerably reduce tone, you won't be able to use them all on the same head.

I wonder what a stage would look like having a wall of 8 412's long and 3 412's height.... mmmmh. :D

The guy would be scared that this falls I think. :p

Well, dying under a wall of Standard Recto may not be that bad after all!

Back