Travis Picking

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinskin57

Reaction score
hey- anyone out there know of any GOOD instructional dvd's that teach Travis-styled picking? i've been playing (with a pick) for over 20 years and would like to think i'm no slouch on guitar so i'd like to avoid any instruction that starts off with learning, "row, row, row your boat" or the like.

The easiest and most common form of travis picking is the kind used in "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas. I'd say the quickest way to get a feel for the style would be to print out some tabs to that rather than buying a dvd. I never really did much finger picking before last year either and that's one of the ways my teacher introduced me to finger style.

i'm mostly self taught, but for a couple months in high school i took some lessons from a classical guitarist and he taught me a lot about fingerpicking and it is a skill that i still retain to this day. I can't remember anything else he taught me but i can fingerpick like a ************!

Latest posts

Back