Tips on Shipping an Amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artiefufkin10

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this was the right spot for this thread, but its amplifier related I guess...

Unfortunately I'll be selling my 2X12 combo soon as I'm not using it as much as I should so I'm going to do the eBay thing.

My question is, I don't have the original packing, what's the best method of shipping the amp?

I have a large TV box that fits the amp, but I'm worried about keeping the bottom of the box secure. Is there any heavy duty glue that secures the box's flaps? And/or large staples you can get that will hold it together? and then just taping the hell out of it? I'll be using bubble wrap and Styrofoam "pop corn" to keep the amp stable inside.

Thanks for any help and/or documentation on how to do this right. It seems like people are selling large amps all the time on ebay, so there's gotta be some good tips out there.

Get the heavy duty packing tape and tape the hell out of it. Also, go to home depot to the wood section, they sell two ft by four ft sections of 1/8 masonite, it's about $3 bucks per section. Get a couple sections and cut it to fit the inside of the box, like a box in a box. Also get 2 to 3 inch foam and line the inside as well, wrap the amp itself in bubble wrap, 2 to 3 inches as well and pray. And if you can find it, shrink wrap the box once it's all packed...anyway, that's how I ship a amp and have never had a single complaint...knock on wood.

Try asking your local music store if they have one left over from any floor models that would be of the same size. G/C usually has a fairly large inventory.

Dusty Rhodes said:
Try asking your local music store if they have one left over from any floor models that would be of the same size. G/C usually has a fairly large inventory.

The original box and packing materials would help if you could score them but I would recommend taking it to a center that packages stuff for you. AIM Mail Centers, PAKMail, UPS or FEDEX Store. In the event of damage during shipment they will help you with a claim. It's only about 15-25 bucks more for them to pack it up. Most places use "improper packaging" to deny a claim, this helps eliminate that. Shop around it's amazing how much one will charge to package and ship versus another. You can get a good quote by providing the unboxed dimension, the weight, where it's goingand how much you want to insure it for. Some places will not ensure above $900 so keep an eye out for that.

I've sold two amps and I always pull the tubes and package them myself inside the head or combo enclosure.

Good luck

Guys, here is the deal regardless using UPS, USPS, FEDEX, DHL or one of the air lines, The shipment must be packed to meet certain published idustry standards.

If the gross shipment weight is 75 lb or less it must be packed to sustain multiple 30" falls on various corners, faces and edges. Over 75 and under 100 must sustain a 24" fall, over 100 lb and less than 150 must be packed to take a 12" fall. There are certain vibration standards that require too much detail to bother to bore you with on this but there are certain standards that courts use to determine if packaging is adequate or not.

If you don't have the original manufacturer's certified packaging, Choose a box that has a manufacturer's seal on the bottom (round seal on the bottom of most boxes) and on the seal the bottom of the column of 3 numbers is the Gross weight rating...(do not exceed 50% of the gross weight rating on the box) ..ie on a 75lb amp the Gross weigh rating must be at least 150. Don't confuse the gross weight rating with the ECT, Size or Burst ratings..Gross Weight Rating.

Use 4-6" inches of bubblewrap around the amp. Or put amp in a smaller inner carton with 4-6" between inner and outer carton. Polyethylene, polystyrene or polyurethane can be used as long as the density is right. Foam in place can also be used. 2" may work but mine are going closer to 6" because I see this stuff broken almost every day.

Make sure the tubes are removed and individually wrapped in bubblewrap. Make sure the footswitch is not going to migrate out of the holder by using a cable wrap or something.

This is only the basics and remember if the amp is not adequately packed, you will likely not get paid on a claim regardless of the carrier.
I am a package engineer and have gone to court many times representing both sides on claims issues. I also work with major companies to help them develop packaging.

Make sure you pack it very well if the shipment is going as a single piece through one of the common carriers..

One suggestion was to build a crate or use formica or sheeting.. usually this is a bad idea in that the crate does not absorbe any shock like a cardboard box and transmitts shock and vibration it to the product. The other suggestion of using popcorn or peanuts (technical name EPS loosfill) does not stabilize the amp and the amp will likely end up on the bottom of thebox.. also someone mentioned insurance,,, read service guide of the big 3 carriers,, I don't believe they have insurance but rather call it something different. What ever they call it is not the same as insurance and generally this means you don't always get paid like you would under the same terms of insurance..

guys,, don't want to bore you but these are just some things to think about if you are going to ship something. Hopefully I can save you some hassles you don t need.. good luck and thanks for the great advice you all give me on Mesa amps,,maybe I can give something back here..

So,

You have a TV box that fits. If it gives around two inches of clearance around all sides and like the other poster said, has a capacity of at least twice the weight of your amp, that box should suffice. I don't pull tubes out of an amp, but you must make sure the power cord (if it's attached) can't impact those tubes. Use bubble wrap around the cord and tape it so it can't move around. Put plastic around the amp. I have used trash bags for this. Do you have the styrofoam that came in the TV box?. I like to use this stuff around the corners of the amp. Use a lighter around each cut to seal the little styrofoam balls from coming loose. Make sure the amp is tight in the box. I have shipped several amps this way with no problems (mesa ships their amps with the tubes in place).

TW

Thanks guys. There's a lot of good stuff to take away from this thread and I appreciate it.

I think I'm going to my local GC and see if their willing to give me a floor model box that I could use. I think that at least getting a box that is the right shape for an amp would be the best start..and then using the techniques in this thread to pack it right.

Thanks again!

Finding an original box is best. If your amp (or another the same size) is still in production contact the manufacturer and see if they will sell & ship you a box with all of the packing. If all else fails the above advice of bubble wrap your amp an put it in a box then put that in another box with an extra two inches on all sides is good advice. In that two inches I would pack with sheet styrofoam that you can get at a home building center. Styrofoam will absorb the crush rather than transfer the shock. Wrapping tubes separtely along with securing the footswitch and and other loose items is a must. If it is a combo I would put it the box upside down. This keeps the center of gravity lower. Don't forget to mark an up side with arrows on the box (bottom of amp). You can use Titebond for glueing the box flaps if you wish.

if there's one thing you take from all this, it's that the very least you could do is only use bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts. You need to give the amp actual support. Bubble wrap can easily pop and peanuts shift around. The wrap and peanuts should be used in addition to what these guys are recommending.

1. Double box for sure, and give at least two inches around for bubble wrap between the boxes. Even better if you can add cardboard corners that came from another amp/TV box and use them with the bubble.
2. UPS will NEVER reimburse you if it is wrecked. They just won't. I have been shipping artwork that is big and heavy for 25 years, and I don't even bother with the shipper's insurance because you WILL NOT COLLECT. So it has to be done so that you feel it will survive the trip.
3. USE FEDEX GROUND service. They are much less likely to damage the amp. And they are actually cheaper than UPS. If not Fedex then DHL.
4. Never use peanuts, they shift and leave voids of no protection. Bubble wrap won't break if it is taped securely to the package as the weight is dispersed. Never let there be any movement in the boxes, pack them tight.
5. Cross your fingers..........

Here's how I do it for a heavy amp:

Find or make a box that is at least 6 to 8 inches larger than the amp in all directions.

I get sheets of very dense 1" or 1 1/2" styrofoam from the local lumber store. It is cheap and normally used for insulating concrete slabs on houses, so readily available. It comes in 4' x 8' sheets, so you get a lot for a tiny bit of money.

I cut a sheet of cardboard for the bottom of the box and put it in there before anything else. This way, there are 2 layers of cardboard.

I cut 2 sheets of foam for the bottom of the box and place them in there.

I number all of the tubes and remove them. Then, I bubble wrap them individially so they won't get broken during shipping.

Then, I wrap the bubble wrapped tubes up in a sheet of large bubble wrap and tape it up. Make sure you write 'Tubes,' on the package so that they don't get thrown away with the other packing materials.

Then, I place them in the back of the amp and pack the rest of the amp full of bubble wrap so that the chassis has no where to go if the amp is dropped.

If there is a footswitch, I wrap it in bubble wrap and place it inside the amp as well, but make sure there is enough packing between it and the tubes.

Then, I place the amp in a huge 50 gallon trash bag. I used to live in Hawaii and a box that I shipped an amp that I sold in got wet. Luckily, I had wrapped it in a bag, so the amp never got wet, but the box was destroyed.

I tape up the bag really well and tight, so it is the same size as the amp and not loose at all. When I lived in Hawaii, I would also shove 3 or 4 Silica Packs (you know, the ones that say, 'Do not eat') in the bag before sealing it up.

I place the amp in the box.

I put 2 layers of dense foam on all sides, including the top. I make sure that it cannot move even 1/8 of an inch.

If there is still room at the top, I will fill it with more foam, peanuts (as long as they have nowhere to go) or bubble wrap.

Then, I tape the hell out of the box. I have been known to use 2 rolls of packing tape per box if it is big.

I know it sounds anal, but I sold a Heartbreaker combo to a guy in Florida. It got destroyed by UPS, and I had to buy it back. I had shipped at least 30 amps before that one, but I don't take any chances anymore.

Again, thanks for the good advice. It's refreshing to know that people are willing to stick their necks out to do this right.

Double box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or atleast "wrap" the amp with cardboard then use peanuts or better material between that box and the shipping box (make sure there is not much space for movement). Put cables and pedals in bags and make sure they are secure and not able to move around. Most amps can be shipped with the tubes inside if you package it properly. Manufacturers do.

If you don't double box, you can almost count on damage! It may only be cosmetic damage, but Fedex/UPS won't reimburse you for a crappy packaging job.

UPS/Fedex should tape your shipping box closed after allowing them to inspect it for insurance purposes.

Back