Timefactor next to amp or on the floor?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctc

Reaction score
Can any of you MKV - Timefactor users out there tell me this, when connected to the amp effects loop do you...

...place the effects unit next to the amp head and use the shortest chords possible as recommended in the MKV manual? [In this instance you could connect a three button auxiliary switch (and/or an expression pedal) to the timefactor and place it on the floor, although how would you know exactly what you're changing without seeing the timefactor display?]

...or do you place the effect on the floor away from the amp and use long chords?
[Does your tone suffer loss in this case?]

I place my delay pedal on top of the amp and use 2 short cords (which are not pictured but you get the idea)...

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

A delay pedal is all I need with my Mark V (at least for right now) and I like the look of a nice, tidy, clean compact rig. 8)

sevycat said:
Who makes the cabinet in the picture? I can't read it in the picture.

its a port city I think, very highly rated by these guys!

Mine's on the floor, running 10' cables to and from. I noticed absolutely no difference between the ten footers and running one foot patches with the TF on top of the head.

I just got a Timefactor last week (LOVE IT!). Normally I set it and forget it, and would put it on top of the amp... especially the older Mark's with the outlet on the back of the amp, but I connected an expression pedal and can power the Timefactor from the PedalPower 2+ so I have it on the pedalboard. With good 10' cables, the sound quality should be fine on the floor. Congrats on the pedal addition. I'm done with my delay journey now.

theroan said:
It's kind of waste to get such a nice Tap delay and not actually use it...

I agree. However Eventide states that you can program a three button auxiliary switch to take over other functions including the tap delay. Although I've never owned one I believe that you can do the same thing with a midi controller. Have you ever tried doing either of these and would it change your mind as to where to place the effect unit if as Mesa advises you to use the shortest chords possible to connect to the effects loop?

Mark Fore said:
I just got a Timefactor last week (LOVE IT!). Normally I set it and forget it, and would put it on top of the amp... especially the older Mark's with the outlet on the back of the amp, but I connected an expression pedal and can power the Timefactor from the PedalPower 2+ so I have it on the pedalboard.

How do you power Time Factor from PP2+ ?

I have Mark V and Time Factor too, and I'm using Time Factor in my effects loop with 5m cables. With quality buffer, I don't hear much tone sucking. Of course it always does _something_ to the sound when the signal is sliced to ones and zeros and rebuilt again to analog, but to my ears Time Factor does this quite well.

Dr.Jackle said:
Mark Fore said:
I just got a Timefactor last week (LOVE IT!). Normally I set it and forget it, and would put it on top of the amp... especially the older Mark's with the outlet on the back of the amp, but I connected an expression pedal and can power the Timefactor from the PedalPower 2+ so I have it on the pedalboard.

How do you power Time Factor from PP2+ ?

I have Mark V and Time Factor too, and I'm using Time Factor in my effects loop with 5m cables. With quality buffer, I don't hear much tone sucking. Of course it always does _something_ to the sound when the signal is sliced to ones and zeros and rebuilt again to analog, but to my ears Time Factor does this quite well.

You can actually power it with either the older Pedal Power 2 or the Pedal Power 2+. I called Voodoo Lab and ordered a "current doubler" cable. It was $15 and it arrived in about two weeks. It is a "Y" cable that you plug into ports 5 & 6 on the PP2 with the switches underneath set away from "normal". This cable doubles the current to provide sufficient mA's to the Timefactor. It is different than the voltage doubler "Y" cable used for 18v pedals. Some say you can run it on either 5 or 6, but I like to be safe and didn't need the extra port for another pedal.

You can actually power it with either the older Pedal Power 2 or the Pedal Power 2+. I called Voodoo Lab and ordered a "current doubler" cable. It was $15 and it arrived in about two weeks. It is a "Y" cable that you plug into ports 5 & 6 on the PP2 with the switches underneath set away from "normal". This cable doubles the current to provide sufficient mA's to the Timefactor. It is different than the voltage doubler "Y" cable used for 18v pedals. Some say you can run it on either 5 or 6, but I like to be safe and didn't need the extra port for another pedal.

Well ain't this great news! A small thing, but as a practical person I get enermous satisfaction always when things can be done little simpler. :) Thanks, I'm going to contact Voodoo Lab right away.

So, TF doesn't actually need the 1200mA that Eventide's own power supply can put out? It seemed a darn big power consumption, but as nothing else was stated in Eventides website, I thought that was true.

I was just turned onto Gig Rig power supplies on another forum. They can handle multiple Eventide pedals with juice to spare. That's the route I'm going to take.

SteveO said:
I was just turned onto Gig Rig power supplies on another forum. They can handle multiple Eventide pedals with juice to spare. That's the route I'm going to take.

You might want to concider that. I'm not familiar with GigRig power supplies specifically, but know that they are switching type adapters. The problem with switching type adapters is, that sometimes the ripple frequency clashes with the clock frequency of time based effects. This results in a high pitched whine, at least that has happened to me. I've experienced this with digital effects (TimeFactor for example), but I've heard it can happen with some analog pedals too. The popular 1-Spot is notorious for this, I have first hand experience about this. For example I could hear the Empress Tremolo's putt quietly even when the pedal was off. The problem dissapeared after ditching 1-Spot and replacing it with PP2+. So I try to stick with transformer based power supplys. Switching type adapters certainly can deliver much more power, but if **** happens and the adapter pushes in too much power (whether the reason was the adapter or the pedal is irrelevant) they will deliver so much power it'll fry the pedal. In my opinion Voodoo Lab PP2+ is maybe the best all around power supply, and thanks to the isolated outputs the most versatile in it's price and size range.

How many Eventide pedals do you have?

Latest posts

Back