There's something about boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
Boogie is like the hot chick that screws you over. She looks so hot and promises a lot but, in the end never puts out. I know I sound a little bitter, why am I still here? I've been burnt so many times (MKI,MKIV,DC5,Recto,Tremo, Maverick,Roadster) still I'm here? Anyone else have this disease? I say there's more to a boogie then tone and I'm a sucker for it.

I hear you dude

and dare you to give the stiletto a spin deuce or trident. For me that was reaching the point of no return.

And yes it's a disease were' boogieholics.

And yes it's a disease were' boogieholics.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You have no idea how many Boogies I've owned.

There is no perfect amp for me. That's why I got into modding them. Plus, I'm a *****. I've sold so many amps that were wonderful. I love my new LSS, but I'm already thinking about selling it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am definitely suffering from Boogie-disease. I first got a used DC-3 a few weeks ago, and once I got a taste of Boogie, I just had to have more, so then came the Recto and the Mark IV. But I've also been infected with the Soldano SLO virus for awhile now, and I just can't seem to shake it.

I believe i'm in the early stages...every Boogie i see, I find i'm mind hustling to come up with the cash for it!!!!!

jamme61 said:
Boogie is like the hot chick that screws you over. She looks so hot and promises a lot but, in the end never puts out. I know I sound a little bitter, why am I still here? I've been burnt so many times (MKI,MKIV,DC5,Recto,Tremo, Maverick,Roadster) still I'm here? Anyone else have this disease? I say there's more to a boogie then tone and I'm a sucker for it.

What tubes do you use? I think the main thing that puts so many people off about Boogie amps is the absolute junk tubes they come stock with. They sound terrible! I've had a few Rectos, a Mark IV, a DC-5, a TriAxis and 2:90 and now a Roadster...and every time I get one I hear the potential, but know they could sound better. After I do a full retube the amp really comes to life. A classic example was the Roadster I just bought. It sounded good (better than any boogie I've ever had) but it was still lacking something. I threw some Groove Tube EL34's in the power section and some Tung-Sol 12ax7's in the pre-amp section and the amp totally came to life. I loved the amp when I got it, but now I'm just floored by it. I fired it up after the retube and was just grinning from ear to ear. I can't wait to use it live next weekend.

My problem with this disease started in 1989 when I bought a 50 Caliber+, then a Red Stripe Mark III, then a Mark IIB, then sold them all and bought a Nomad 55 combo, and sold it to buy a Nomad 100 head. I love my Nomad 100 head, but I wish I would have never sold the Mark III. :cry:

I bought a 2:90 as my main power amp when my Marshall 8080 power amp failed in the early 90's, mated to a Digitech GSP2101. Then a few years ago i finally picked up a Triple Rectifier...and made myself deaf. I found myself using my ADA MP-1 more, and talked myself into an older 2.ch Dual Rectifier. Then i got a deal on a Recto Preamp, and decided i was close enough on there to get the Recto sound and sold the Dual. Then i got the Triaxis finally and decided i could get somewhat close to the Recto and sold the Recto Preamp. Then i got very tired of being too muddy and always being drowned out live and wanted something that would cut the mix better, So i got the Stiletto Ace. Hated the harshness and bought a Deuce II, and sold the Ace.
Still have the Triaxis, 2:90, and Deuce II, which is now my main amp...but thinking of selling the Triaxis to buy either an ENGL, or a Diezel.
Eventually hope to one day have a Road King as well.

Mesa, It's a disease.

Nitrobattery said:
A classic example was the Roadster I just bought. It sounded good (better than any boogie I've ever had) but it was still lacking something. I threw some Groove Tube EL34's in the power section and some Tung-Sol 12ax7's in the pre-amp section and the amp totally came to life. I loved the amp when I got it, but now I'm just floored by it. I fired it up after the retube and was just grinning from ear to ear. I can't wait to use it live next weekend.

So what kind of difference did the EL34's make over the 6L6's? I just bought a Roadster and I love to tweak things...

thanks!
fred

fsmith said:
Nitrobattery said:
A classic example was the Roadster I just bought. It sounded good (better than any boogie I've ever had) but it was still lacking something. I threw some Groove Tube EL34's in the power section and some Tung-Sol 12ax7's in the pre-amp section and the amp totally came to life. I loved the amp when I got it, but now I'm just floored by it. I fired it up after the retube and was just grinning from ear to ear. I can't wait to use it live next weekend.

So what kind of difference did the EL34's make over the 6L6's? I just bought a Roadster and I love to tweak things...

thanks!
fred

I used to swear by 6L6's, but I'm all about EL34's these days. They add more sparkle to the top end, but they don't get harsh. The cleans seem to sparkle more, but why I really like them is because the dirty channels crunch more. I've got Groove Tube EL34's and E34L's in my Roadster. The E34L's are a lot like EL34's...but have more bottom end. So I have it set up that when I'm in 50watt more, it's the E34L's so channels 3 and 4 have a little more thump...and then when I'm in the 100watt mode, the EL34's kick in for more power and crunch. It works out pretty well. I'm open to suggestions for other EL34's though. I'm a tweaker myself.

jamme61 said:

Boogies just have something different, and I want more of it, I have a Triaxis/2:90, and 3ch Dual rec. (sold my 2ch a dual rec and rectoverb, which i both regret). now i'm jonesing for a mark III and/or IV and a RK.

jamme61 said:

What do you mean when you say you've been burned so many times by Mesa? Are you saying all of the above mentioned amps have died or failed you?

secretsoundz said:
What do you mean when you say you've been burned so many times by Mesa? Are you saying all of the above mentioned amps have died or failed you?

...or they don't meet your expectations, but you can't help placing your hopes with them? Is the disease Dysfunctional Brand Loyalty Syndrome?

Good question secretsoundz.

Is the disease Dysfunctional Brand Loyalty Syndrome?

You might be onto something there.

I have worked on just about every major brand out there, and a bunch of brands that nobody has heard of.

To me, Mesa is the best built, most thought out brand of amps that I have come across. With an exception. My Soldano was built slightly better, and came with incredible transformers.

I stick with Mesa because they have the best bang for the buck to me. I have found that their amps suit me and my personal tastes.

I have also found that I am a "Greener," to accidentally quote a cult leader. :lol: I keep thinking that the grass is greener and go for another amp, only to find that my DC's are the **** and I don't really need anything else. It is now easier to list the Boogies that I haven't owned, than the ones that I have. Pretty sad. :lol:

They retain their value pretty well, so it's easy to see why people go through a few (or quite a few) before finding the ones that they really like.

For me, I'll stick with the older ones for now. I haven't found a newer one that I liked enough to replace my DC. It has just the right amount of gadgets. If Austin Powers gets me there tonally, then I need to stop buying the James Bond models. :lol:

scoobyzjr said:
My problem with this disease started in 1989 when I bought a 50 Caliber+, then a Red Stripe Mark III, then a Mark IIB, then sold them all and bought a Nomad 55 combo, and sold it to buy a Nomad 100 head. I love my Nomad 100 head, but I wish I would have never sold the Mark III. :cry:

i had a .50cal+ and loved it, got a Mark III green-stripe and a LoneStar Classic the same week, played the Mark III and got it locked in, then tried the LoneStar and decided it was the Holy Grail. sold both .50+ and Mark III. oops.

Getting another Mark III next week. Will NEVER part with either the LoneStar or Mark III ... perhaps at some point I might get a stiletto or DR, but I am working out the LoneStar with some nice EL-34 and ... WOW.

jamme61 said:
Boogie is like the hot chick that screws you over. She looks so hot and promises a lot but, in the end never puts out.
Maybe it's in your approach. Try a little foreplay before you go all out. A little tweak time is a good thing, mine always put out for me. hahahahahaha.
:lol:

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Back