Theile Speaker Suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supergenius365

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I am brand new here and to Boogies.

I stumbled upon a MKIIC+ a few weeks back and love it. I also found a guy who built a cab to Theile specs. It is arriving soon and I need a speaker. I know the EVM 12L is the speaker of choice, but are there any other suggestions which might not cost as much but still give a similar feel/tone?

Thanks.

Peace,
J

Here is my MKIIC+
graduation2007027.jpg

I am happy with the C90 (Black Shadow) in my Thiele. I bought it for $80 shipped and that was not the best deal I have found since. It is 90 watts, so it can handle the Mark's power...

supergenius365 said:
I need a speaker. I know the EVM 12L is the speaker of choice, but are there any other suggestions which might not cost as much but still give a similar feel/tone?

J,
The EVM 12L is really the speaker that the Mark series was designed for. It will let your amp's true voice shine through without colouring it.
But hold on, you didn't tell us which speaker is in your combo! The EVM 12L and Celestion C90 are a popular pair, so if you have an EVM in your combo already, a C90 would be a good match to put in the Thiele. That's what current Thieles come with anyway. But it's a completely different voicing than the EVM... it WILL colour your tone. In a good way.

I partially agree with visualrocker69.

To my ears, the EVM speaker really does bring out the best of the Mark series since it is a neutral-sounding speaker that can accomodate any style.

However, I don't believe the Mark series were actually designed for it.

You may want to check out the Eminence Delta Pro 12A. I have read that it has a similar tonality to the EVM, but slightly less bright(which some prefer), and less expensive. It is a heavy sucker, though!

rockhound76s, what I mean is that since the EV was contracted for speakers at that time, the Marks (IIC+ in this case) was built with that speaker in mind. Just like Rectos are voiced for Celestion Vintage 30's, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks for the info!

Mine has the original Black Shadow in it.

Any thoughts on the Emi Tonker or Swamp Thang in my Theile? Those are just 2 speakers I have liked with other amps.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the correction, gts. I remember someone on the boards saying that the Mark series was designed around the EVM 12L, or maybe I misinterpreted something.

Question about the "Black Shadow"... does Mesa just slap that onto any speaker they put in their Mark series? The Celestion C90 in my Mark IV also says "Black Shadow"...

Well to add, the Boogie Thiele cab was designed with the EVM, IIRC. The Mesa Black Shadow (Celestion) was a later addition to the original Thiele offering.

FWIW, I tried the Thiele with the Emi RWB, and also a Swamp Thang. Both sounded great, with the RWB more subtle and less added color, the SwThang more aggressive bottom, top, and overall more "in your face." In the end, though, I went back to the EVM as it sounded the best (to my ears) in the Thiele cab. Haven't tried the Delta, but also heard the same thing as was writtin above bout it.

Also IMHO, the EVM-Thiele sounds best with a boogie combo loaded with the Mesa-Celestion 90. The open back and warmth of the C90 along with the tight and focused EV-Thilele is a VERY powerful combination: strong, bold, but clear and very well defined.

Edward

I just put a Mesa/Eminence Vintage 50 in my Thiele 'cause my 12L-Classic is making funny noises. I was pleasantly surprised with it.

Don't let the thiele name scare you - this little cabinet is great with all sorts of speakers, not just 12Ls.

phyrexia said:
I just put a Mesa/Eminence Vintage 50 in my Thiele 'cause my 12L-Classic is making funny noises. I was pleasantly surprised with it.

Don't let the thiele name scare you - this little cabinet is great with all sorts of speakers, not just 12Ls.

I think the Vintage 50's are under-rated in respect of tone. I have a 4x12 loaded with them and it sounds great. If I had to choose 1 speaker, it would be the C-90. It sounds great.

Earcandy Green Machine speakers are supposed to be fairly non-coloring as well. I'll find out in a couple of days when this arrives.

http://www.earcandycabs.com/articles.php?req=read&article_id=143

Or plug this item number into an ebay search:

Seemed like a perfect alternative to an EV loaded Thiele and the fact that I got it at half price didn't hurt.

Has anyone tried a Celestion G12H-30 or G12H-65 in their Thiele? I'm curious how it would sound running a pair of Thieles with a Marshall JCM800 head. I have tried it with the EVM's - sounds good but I like it better with the Boogies than the Marshall.

Latest posts

Back