The Maverick

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToneAddictJon

Reaction score
All I have to say is WOW. Tone, Tone, Tone, Tone, Tone. This little guy is very loud and has all sorts of soul to it. I've been putting it through the ringer testing out what kind of tones can come out of it, and it can really pretty much do anything, this includes metal- not over the top, so much saturation I can't hear a note metal, but some great metal/hard rock tones. I'm very impressed with this amp so far. It'll take a few days for me to really get to know it, but it's so straight forward and the controls react so well, that it already feels like I've owned it forever. This may become my main amp, because it is smaller and lighter than the other rectos I have (it's the small head, rackmountable). I've got it running through my 1x12 open (ev) and it is just a great match. Anyone looking for that recto tone on a little lower budget, don't pass one of these up, it really can stand up and scream with the big boys (and I only have the gain at noon) :twisted:

Yes, a great amp! The clean channel is sweet too. I've had one since 1996.
I use mine with a 1x12 3/4 open back cabinet. Nice and smooth. I don't know why they used vintage 30s in the combo amps.
One thing I wish they would have done differently is set up the effects loop like the D.R.s or the lonestars, instead of tying it into the channel volume control.
Oh, And there's not much headroom on the input of the amp, so clean boosts don't work all that well with it. But otherwise, it's a true sleeper.

that's a good score, Jon. i noticed your pictures in the "rigs & clips" forum. i've got the very same maverick head. terrific tones indeed! it's an amp that made me start using less and less pedals. right now i just have wah, overdrive, and delay (in loop). Supergtr is right about the headroom, but on the plus side it's got a lovely compression to it when you push the output.

i just got a digital camera, so i will put up my pics soon.

you mentioned the fx loop, Supergtr. is the channel master knob the fx return setting as well? i did notice it was designed differently than my brother's dual rec. I run a delay pedal (set to line level) in the fx loop and even with the output (wet only) cranked the level seems low. i don't have the channel master that high, maybe 11:00, so that would explain it...

IMO the Mav is a less known secret weapon amp with way more versatility than what first appears to the eyes. Can't think of a time I've played out with it that a tone compliment did not come from somebody. I like lower gain bluesy sounds. There is more than enough gain for my needs available on either channel.

There is plenty of clean headroom in my experience, using the bright switch on the clean channel is what Mesa intended for that. :) Have found when using 12ax7 in v1 and v4, that a lower setting, like no more than 10:00 on the clean volume knob and a more aggressive setting on the clean master knob will give good head......room. :wink: I found that rolling vintage preamp tubes in that clean channel will help the bright sound to be fatter like the fat side of the switch. The fat side of the switch took care of itself after I voiced for the clean side.

Getting the lead channel to sound what I like was more of a challenge. Again, tube rolling saved the day, not only the preamp tubes, but choosing a fat sounding set of power tubes helped the lead channel, and use less bass settings on the clean as a result was great as far as helping the amp to not work as hard at higher volumes... :)

Am currently using a little known quad of Russion 6p14p-ev 5000 hour rated military tubes with a 5v4 rectifier to keep them running less hot than when using 5ar4. This tube type can be had for lots more money per set when they are called the Harma el84 at Watford Valves... :wink: They are found with Russian military labeling at screaming deal prices on eBay. They use a thicker, leaded glass bottle, and only the NOS RFT German el84's are as fat in the bottle as these Russians are. They also, like the 7189, are rated at 400 volts, so unlike some of the 300 volt rated NOS el84 (GE!) they are long lived at the 375 plate volts found in the Mav.

Found that voicing the power section for the lead channel was best, and the already voiced clean took care of itself as a result. By power section I am referring to power tubes, output tranny, and speakers. I did not care for the Celestion Vintage 30 in my 2/12 either. They seemed dark at low volumes and bright at high volumes, so out they came. Left the stock output tranny in it, but did lots of speaker rolling. I know Lyman was successful in rolling speakers for a 1/12 setup. I am happy with the pair of speakers I have found, but may take one out and try a mixed pair for a more broad bandwidth.

I think that it is hard to find an amp that sounds as good as the Maverick when it comes to settings that are on the fence between clean and dirty, clean at a gentle touch and dirty digging in. When I took it to an open stage blues jam recently where all the guitar players were very seasoned and skilled, the sound man (who has heard tons of players) came up and gave me a huge tone compliment of my SD Seth Lover equipped Heritage 555. I gave credit to the Maverick for expressing that guitar.

great info Mavguy! thanks for the tip on the 6p14p-ev's.

i wouldn't think that v30's are idea for the maverick. so far i have been happy with the private jack, seems good for the price but i'm sure there are better ones out there. at some point i'd like to pickup an empty 2x12 open back and try some other speakers as well.

usually i'm in the clean channel, on bright with my 335 and fat with my strat. just on the edge of break-up like you described, back off the volume for cleans and put it up and kick on an overdrive pedal for more distortion.

the Heritage 555 is a fine instrument! a friend of mine has one actually. top shelf! i'm sure it sounds amazing with the mav.

That is some great info Mavguy, thanks.
lyman- the channel masters control the effects send and the mix knob on the back is the return.
This is definitely one of those amps that sounds good at lower volumes and the higher the master goes the sweeter it sounds.

Supertgtr- you were right on the boosts in front of the amp, I never use them, but tried it just to see what happened. I agree with you that it would be nice if it have a send and mix control like other DR's, but it is such a sweet amp that those are little things that don't bother me. Took a little bit to get both channels the same volume and working with getting the loop to sound even on both channels, but now it is just a giant killer.

For solos, I use a tubescreamer or a FDII to give it a bit of sustain. But my RC booster just doesn't fit with it. But the RC kicks major arse on the clean channel of my D.R.!
The Mav has a fluidity to it and feedbacks so sweetly on the overdrive channel. What an a amp. I'll never sell it.

To me the Maverick is the best amp around. I have 2 of the 4x10 combos. The 2x12 combo sound a little dark to my taste.

Cranking up the clean channel (Gain, middle and master) has been giving one of the most responsive and greatest tone I have ever get.

One problem is that so far everyguitar I play through it sound just great, so when it was at the store I used to test guitars and ended buying of course...hehe not so bad but I may have save some money by buying the amp first...

I love the Maverick amp.

Now that I am back in a band my 1-12 Maverick is my gigging amp. I use the same output tubes and rectifier as 212Mavguy (we are old friends). I love the straightforward simplicity and the amazing versatility of this amp. I have a JBL g125 in mine and it sounds fantastic. The Black Shadow/Celestion vintage 90 was decent but the JBL crushes it like an insect. I looked at the Lonestar Special but hated all the mini switches and decided against it. I like how the short head Mav tucks the switches away in the back. I also like that there are only two. I use my clean channel in Fat mode, sounds fine to me. I don't care about being too clean, a bit of grit just makes me smile. For what I do I cannot think of a better amp out there. My dream amp would have the preamp of a Maverick and the output section of a Blue Angel. Mesa could have really done something with that!

Hey guys, how about some suggested settings? Mav ser. #17 owner here!

Well, that sounds simple enough! I'll have try mine with some outboard cabs as well.

MesaMaverick001.jpg

Latest posts

Back