The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah lol

I literally had the gain/presence/master on 10 and it was about even with Lead on 1-1.5 (gain on 8).

I just called my dealer and they said they tried it and sent it back to Mesa, so I'm happy with that so far. I'd rather Mesa look at it then get it repaired at a dealer since it was brand new.

Okay, I swapped the V1 shielded tube-thing, and things work better. But I don't really know what a perfect Mark IV should sound like, so I'm still a bit sceptical. The tweed power-thing also worked out pretty much, but I loose a lot of gain on the lead channel. Still feel that the amp long for more gain.

EirikBrandal said:
Okay, I swapped the V1 shielded tube-thing, and things work better. But I don't really know what a perfect Mark IV should sound like, so I'm still a bit sceptical. The tweed power-thing also worked out pretty much, but I loose a lot of gain on the lead channel. Still feel that the amp long for more gain.
can you record a sample?

I'll see what I can do tomorrow. The thing has gone bad again, except that the tweed power is working better now.

Two questions:

How can I get the V1 shielding off so I can replace the tube? I can't get in there with a normal screw driver because the speaker in the combo is kind of in the way. I can also see only one screw, is there another one on the side I can't see?

How can I get the amp out of the combo shell for easier access? The transformer on the left, which I'm assuming is the input transformer, doesn't let the unit just slide out after I unscrew it.

hi

you don't need to screw open that shielded thing. You just turn it around and drag it off. It's just attached to a lock or something, so no screwing needed.

And, you should't go inside the amp too much if you're not an expert

got a brand new mark iv a few weeks ago, finally found my tone in the amp...and its the best amp i have ever owned and played...shitty demo, but it gets the point across...i used garage band, but did not eq using the computer at all

http://media.putfile.com/This-Dying-Soul--Merciless-Descent-Mark-IV-Demo

no no boost pedal at all...nobody should need more gain than this amp can offer, especially in a live situation. if u set this amp right depending on the volume you're playing at, you will not need a boost.

then again, i never liked tons of gain...i always favor a crisp and heavy sound as opposed to an over-saturated sound. I think this too is why I liked the dual rectifier when a lot of people don't...I never put my gain over 12 or 1 on that amp and because of that i didn't really experience the flab most people do...in my opinion when your conservative with the gain, any amp can sound a lot better

EirikBrandal said:
hi

you don't need to screw open that shielded thing. You just turn it around and drag it off. It's just attached to a lock or something, so no screwing needed.

And, you should't go inside the amp too much if you're not an expert
correct, there are 2 pins that fit into slots on the shield. just sorta push up, turn, and it should come off easily.

rich said:
got a brand new mark iv a few weeks ago, finally found my tone in the amp...and its the best amp i have ever owned and played...sh!t demo, but it gets the point across...i used garage band, but did not eq using the computer at all

http://media.putfile.com/This-Dying-Soul--Merciless-Descent-Mark-IV-Demo
**** fine tone there.

care to post your settings?

mic'd speaker or recording out?

thanks dude...i mic'd my 4x12 recto cab with an sm57 and recorded it in garage band. my guitars are esp eclipses with emg 18 volt mod and i also use an isp decimator to stop feedback...my settings for the lead channel are:

gain: 7.5 pull fat
treble: 7.5
bass: 2
mid: 3.5
drive: 7.5
presence: 2
master: 2.5
output: between 1 and 2

graphic eq in:
80: between middle and top line, closer to top line
240:a little above middle line
750: halfway between bottom line and middle line
2200: middle line
6600: between middle and top line, closer to top line

amp was in full power, harmonics, and pentode

Took a peek inside mine today.

9/90

SN IV0352

Would #352 be considered very early? The oldest I could find in the Mark registry was 344.

My mark IV is really loose these days. Is just no tightness in it at all. I wonder if it is a power tube going bad. suggestions?

Holy ****, I have just skimmed through this entire thread. I miss my old IV. :cry: Maybe I should just get one again.

Latest posts

Back