The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone experience regarding unplugging the fan for short-term playing? Like, if you play at home for 20-30 mins. Would that be safe?

I've done it in the past when recording, but - given that there was post-processing to tighten and bed the guitar sound after the fact - I only needed to keep the amp at relatively rational levels, and also for a relatively short duration, over what may actually have been quite a long day. So it was never getting really hot......

OTOH, if you're caning the darned thing over time, then no way. My rough rule of thumb: if it's getting quite hot, and I need to keep going, then I need the fan on. So (unsurprisingly): playing in a live context pretty much requires it.

New MKIV owner. Found a guy to make a replacement head cab since mine came in a rack kit when I got it. Couldn't resist the zebra tolex and had to make a new foot controller based on the FU-3 logic switching scheme to match the vibe.

5GpwDwnl.jpg

A question for Mk IV experts...
I don't own one of these (yet), but am often scouting out ads and listings of them, and am amazed and delighted at the variety of housings, speaker fabric, logo designs etc with which the model was manufactured.
One thing I've noticed is on the rear panel, typically the FX loop jackplugs have metal/chrome sockets while the other jackplugs have black plastic surrounds, and at least one amp I've seen had ALL the sockets on the back as metal/chrome units. This applies to both A and B versions, and the combo format.
What was the policy at Mesa with this - did they just utilise whatever components were in stock, using metal sockets for the FX loop for visual reasons? Was it a conscious decision to use all metal sockets - or not - and did it fit in with particular dates of production / serial numbers etc?
Aesthetically (IMHO) having that mass of plugs all in matching metal surround looks great, but I'm sure from a technical / operational point of view, there's no difference between metal surround sockets and plastic ones. I'm just curious why there are two types of sockets on lots of these amps.

To me, this is "the" amp.

As far as I know mine is from 2005, but I'm starting to get a little bit afraid about leaking caps... or shouldn't I?

There's a bit of misinformation in this thread, it's actually the B revision that is brighter. Just ask Mike B, I think he would confirm this.

Back