The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bryan_kilco said:
Elixir said:
I'd like to know why some notes pierce my ears. They sound very twangy at times and it hurts my ears even on volume 2!!

anyone?
Volume 2 on the IV is LOUD.

So i've noticed.

Going to the doc today to get my ears checked and make sure i'm having ear fatigue and nothign more.

Also dropping some dough on nice earplugs.

ice picks can be remedied with beam blockers or tape over the center of the cone. try that if you dont like it then get some darker smoother speakers. what speaker do you use

fatoni said:
ice picks can be remedied with beam blockers or tape over the center of the cone. try that if you dont like it then get some darker smoother speakers. what speaker do you use

Vintage 30's.

It's simply too loud for the room I have it in on tweed power volume 2. My ears get fatigued quick and i'm starting to get that lil whine in my head (hopefully there's no damage). I'm going to the doc Monday and getting it checked out, and will be purchasing some really nice 150 dollar ear plugs that will be fitted to my ears.

I'm not taking any risks. I like to play 2 times a day around 2.5 hours each time.

thats what i assumed. ear fatigue and ice pickiness are pretty common terms when describing v30s. try beam blockers. people have reported great sucess with them evenly distributing treble and not killing anything directly in front of the amp. just turn the master to 0 and you can crank the amp and it still sounds sweet yet quiet as you want it

fatoni said:
thats what i assumed. ear fatigue and ice pickiness are pretty common terms when describing v30s. try beam blockers. people have reported great sucess with them evenly distributing treble and not killing anything directly in front of the amp. just turn the master to 0 and you can crank the amp and it still sounds sweet yet quiet as you want it

Like what the hell how come I didn't hear about this before I got the speakers? All I read was how great the vintage 30's were.

F/ck.

Anyone wanna buy a 2x12 rec cab with vintage 30's? :D

EDIT: I might just say screw the vintage 30's and swamp them out. Any recommendations? Is anyone looking for vintage 30's ? I'll be selling them.

they are not bad speakers but that can be a problem. try beam blockers as its a cheaper option first. i dont know too much about speakers.

Might want to look into "fuzzy lifters". Search ebay for em they apparently work really well.

Also, I have the Hearos eaplugs, the like 14$ ones and I have to say they work quite well, Id grab a pair of those before throwing down 150.

before you go selling speakers or buying beam blockers, why not turn the Master Output down a bit, as well as the channel volume? drop the highs on the GEQ.....you dont HAVE to play super loud. :lol:

bryan_kilco said:
before you go selling speakers or buying beam blockers, why not turn the Master Output down a bit, as well as the channel volume? drop the highs on the GEQ.....you dont HAVE to play super loud. :lol:

Yes, just turned down the presence, master, and dropped the highs on the GEQ with some success.

Will wait a lil longer and see how much that truly improved my situation.

Elixir said:
bryan_kilco said:

Yes, just turned down the presence, master, and dropped the highs on the GEQ with some success.

Will wait a lil longer and see how much that truly improved my situation.
well you said you mainly play in a non-band setting, correct?

I find the Mark IV can be a bit harsh on the high end, but I have owned mine for probably about 5 years now and can say that truely love the amp. My GEQ is in a "V", but I dont drop the mids far below the "0db" point, and I dont raise my low end or high end too much. Presence for me is probably around 5. Something is wrong with my Lead Channel eq, but for now I have it at something like Treble 5 Bass 7 Mid 5.

with some tweaking, you should easily be able to get rid of that piercing high end.

I dropped the high end on the EQ, presence is at 4 with master at 4 as well. Volume around 2... here is the kicker

With a lil cotton in my ears (just a lil) the whole piercing thing goes away but the sound and tone sound fine to me.

What does this mean?

Elixir said:
I dropped the high end on the EQ, presence is at 4 with master at 4 as well. Volume around 2... here is the kicker

With a lil cotton in my ears (just a lil) the whole piercing thing goes away but the sound and tone sound fine to me.

What does this mean?
I rarely ever go past 2.5 - 3 on my channel volumes, with master around 2. and THAT is practice level.

that Master Output control is VERY sensitive and the amp gets TOO loud. If you are playing in your bedroom, I advise just turning it down.

and also - when you are playing, you need to remember that you arent hearing your full sound while you are standing over your amp. stand out in front of it, kneel down, get yourself "ear level" with your speakers and listen carefully. the sweet spot, i think, is about 15-20 feet away from the cab. imagine you are the audience at a show. i find myself cringing and dropping my highs drastically whenever I do this. the crowd doesnt want bleeding ears! i have a hard time getting this point across to some people.....

Mizati20 said:
Hey guys, me again, thanks for all the great responses and kind words! I am kinda looking to get rid of my standard Mesa 4x12 cabinet to make a little room. I was thinking of getting a Mesa 2x12 Vertical cab, but was curious, which Mark IV head is designed to fit perfectly on the vertical cab? the medium head or the short head? Also, any other Mark IV owners out there running their head into a cab that they really like and would recommend? I want something that is still going to give a decent bottom end. Are there other 4x12's out there that are perfect with the Mark IV? (I may consider even though I'm trying to make room) and suggestions would as always be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

I'm running an old ADA 2x12 with celestion gt-s50 50 watt speakers with my mk ivb med head. I get a good sound from it, but I think that better is achieved from a 4x12, but that would be a bit much for bedroom playing. I was looking at the recto vert 2x12 as well though. I think the head would set on there just fine.

bryan_kilco said:
Elixir said:

What does this mean?
I rarely ever go past 2.5 - 3 on my channel volumes, with master around 2. and THAT is practice level.

that Master Output control is VERY sensitive and the amp gets TOO loud. If you are playing in your bedroom, I advise just turning it down.

and also - when you are playing, you need to remember that you arent hearing your full sound while you are standing over your amp. stand out in front of it, kneel down, get yourself "ear level" with your speakers and listen carefully. the sweet spot, i think, is about 15-20 feet away from the cab. imagine you are the audience at a show. i find myself cringing and dropping my highs drastically whenever I do this. the crowd doesnt want bleeding ears! i have a hard time getting this point across to some people.....

That's about what i'm doing right now just not that many feet away.

Elixir said:
bryan_kilco said:
Elixir said:

What does this mean?

That's about what i'm doing right now just not that many feet away.
yeah unless you have a wireless its tough to stand back and try to hear your bands mix at a show or something. i figure if there seems like too much High end and I'm about 5 feet away, back it down.

Hi I have the B version amp and have just bought a TC g major to replace my G system because i wanted more floor effects on a pedalboard . and a need to have alighter rig for rehearsal.
In looking at the connections for the G major and the programming it has different reccomendations depending on if the loop you put it intyo is series or paralell . After a search through here and the manual i cant see which the boogie is and thefore if i need to use this killdry option on the unit. anybody know if the mark4's loops are series or paralell ?

Best regards

Mark

Hi I have the B version amp and have just bought a TC g major to replace my G system because i wanted more floor effects on a pedalboard . and a need to have alighter rig for rehearsal.
In looking at the connections for the G major and the programming it has different reccomendations depending on if the loop you put it intyo is series or paralell . After a search through here and the manual i cant see which the boogie is and thefore if i need to use this killdry option on the unit. anybody know if the mark4's loops are series or paralell ?

Best regards

Mark

Back