The Mark IV-A Experience

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zqcebtmu

Reaction score
Hey all, I was just wondering if there are any guys here that still play a Mark IV-A! I myself own a mark IV-A and the tones i get are fairly good. But it always seems to be lacking in some parts of the frequency. I haven't been able to find a sweet spot on the amp even after a year of playing!!! I've been thinking if it's time for a new amp!! someone convince me to keep the IV :twisted:

if you're really that desperate for dialing in some specifics you might want to try a parametric EQ...

well, if you are having trouble dialing in good tones with the mark IV alone, adding an EQ would add more complication.

I know the Mark iv can sound really bad if not dialed in right, find someones sound you like and find their settings. I was really bummed for a while till I finally got some sweet tones out of it and understood how to tweak it.

Just so you know, I have a mark iv A also. Still sounds amazing. Make sure your tubes aren't expended.

You might try some different or more speakers. That might be the missing link in your tone if you are otherwise happy with your setup. I'm diggin' on my IVa, even more now that I converted it to a head and now push two thiele cabs. It's a monster. It doesn't do everything, but it does plenty for me. I usually find that when I'm jonezing for something "better", it's usually just GAS and I'm not spending enough time focusing on my playing. It's easy to get caught up in the quest for the perfect tone and lose sight of the music. New gear is just so **** fun though! Curse you GAS!!!!

Here's what I'd do before buying anything:

1. Switch off all 'extras' (Graphic, Loop)
2. Choose your power settings (Tweed, Full)
3. Set all EQs to 5
4. Start with Rhy 1 and get a decent tone - it's easier to beef up R2 than R1
5. Move across the board, then introduce the graphic EQ to each channel
6. Finally, tweak your pent/triode & harmonic/mid gain settings.

That's a pretty easy way that I've found of getting an MKIV to sound good whenever I've used them in shops - obviously that's not the definitive guide, but it should get you started.

Oh, and if you do change speakers, only go for an MC12 or something - if you've got a IV-A it'll be an EV, and the only thing that has a comparable reputation is the MC12. Just don't get a C90, m'kay!

Try some of the exact settings from the manual. They will give you some ideas of places to start to find your sound. Set up and play a few different ones just to see what your options are and how some of subtle changes can affect the tone and feel. Go from there. Twiddle knobs endlessly. :)

Bshizzle said:
I know the Mark iv can sound really bad if not dialed in right, find someones sound you like and find their settings. I was really bummed for a while till I finally got some sweet tones out of it and understood how to tweak it.
Exactly, I was kinda bummed at first too, until I actually read the manual (go figure) and did a little online research. It dispelled my old belief that if you cant dial in a good sound on an amp in 5 minutes, you never will...

Bshizzle said:
well, if you are having trouble dialing in good tones with the mark IV alone, adding an EQ would add more complication.
well, I was assuming he knows the amp well and wants to squeeze a little more out of it. After all, many pros like J. Hetfield and Dimebag use(d) para eq's to really zero in exactly what they want. And, of course, you don't want to even go there unless you've totally mastered the amp already and know exactly what you're doing...

zqcebtmu said:
But it always seems to be lacking in some parts of the frequency. I haven't been able to find a sweet spot on the amp even after a year of playing!!!

I've got it (Mark IVa) 2 weeks ago.
Read some Mark IV tone guides. I haven't got any problems with dialling "good tone".
If it comes to frequencies there are mids, but no bass or treble detail. IMHO it's just mid-voiced amp.
I've tried many combinations (even tubes like GT/Svetlana winged C) to get natural bass sound - no way.
It could be advantage - because middle frequencies are typical for guitar, it will cut through etc.

Compared to my Marshall 6100 and (SIC!) Marshall Valvestate 8100 mark IV sounds very directional & little unnatural(I hate it).
Marshalls have very natural, deep bass and a little harsh(but still very detailed) highs. If you like it, just change your amp, you can even try old marshall valvestate, be open-minded :)
Marshall 6100 is very responsive to pickup change, Mark IV not so much. Anyway Mark IV has got better saturation.

listen to your heart... ermm...ears :D
No offense for Mesa lovers, I've just got my 2nd M/B to compare it with my Marshall and for this moment Marshall wins this battle :(
Sometimes it's just better to change amp.

Sorry for mistakes,I'm still learning English :)

I understand what you mean about the tonal comparison (MKIV vs Marshall) but I have to disagree somewhat - once you get that bad boy dialled in you can get beautiful top and bottom end.

I do tend to find people use too much drive on the lead channel and too much gain in general on the MKIV...perhaps roll off the gain? It can sound really 'flubby' if you use too much gain, and just sounds cheap and cheesy and nasty. For example, my lead gain and drive are between 5 and 7, bass set a little lower, and then boosted a bit on the graphic. Sounds decent enough to me - though I've got a 2nd 1x12 which helps.

Apart from on the clean channel, where more usually sounds better! It's such a hard amp to explain!

wiorys said:
zqcebtmu said:
But it always seems to be lacking in some parts of the frequency. I haven't been able to find a sweet spot on the amp even after a year of playing!!!

I've got it (Mark IVa) 2 weeks ago.
Read some Mark IV tone guides. I haven't got any problems with dialling "good tone".
If it comes to frequencies there are mids, but no bass or treble detail. IMHO it's just mid-voiced amp.
I've tried many combinations (even tubes like GT/Svetlana winged C) to get natural bass sound - no way.
It could be advantage - because middle frequencies are typical for guitar, it will cut through etc.

Compared to my Marshall 6100 and (SIC!) Marshall Valvestate 8100 mark IV sounds very directional & little unnatural(I hate it).
Marshalls have very natural, deep bass and a little harsh(but still very detailed) highs. If you like it, just change your amp, you can even try old marshall valvestate, be open-minded :)
Marshall 6100 is very responsive to pickup change, Mark IV not so much. Anyway Mark IV has got better saturation.

listen to your heart... ermm...ears :D
No offense for Mesa lovers, I've just got my 2nd M/B to compare it with my Marshall and for this moment Marshall wins this battle :(
Sometimes it's just better to change amp.

Sorry for mistakes,I'm still learning English :)

Most of the tone/gain in a Boogie comes from the preamp. You need good tubes in there otherwise it won't function as designed. The power tubes can't amplify what isn't there in the first place !! :wink:

I've tried everything(including drive&gain on low settings, just to get deep, natural bass, no success). It doesn't sound bad or something, it's just different, I just love natural bass sound, so Marshall suits me better.

I've got Sovtek 12ax7 LPS in V1 in my Mark IV & Marshall
:lol: Some guys use it for distorted sounds but I like to use it with clean channell, the sound is full, round etc. I haven't tried other preamp tubes , yepp :/

Mark IV modifies sound more than marshall 6100(it must be preamp, like ANIMATED SUSPENSION said) ...
Maybe it's just an illusion, because 6100 isn't super-neutral sounding, it's little mid-scooped (doesn't sound like typical marshall amp), what a mess :)
Maybe I'll try to record some samples tomorrow

In contrast to what Animated Suspension wrote, I tend to think that the mark tone lies mostly in the power amp. mrd has written extensive posts about this, and my experience is similar.

If your perceptions on tone are based on full band-volume applications, disregard this. But if you are judging the amp at practice volume levels, definitely give the amp a chance at full volume (and reduce the preamp gains). If you look at James Hetfield's settings on his mkIIC+ (in pics from montyjay for example), you'll see that the gains are not very high - it would sound very different at practice volumes.

Try setting your preamp gains lower (~5), switch to pentode simulclass with the mid switch off ("harmonics") and turn the amp up until it starts pushing the speakers in your cab. Try this using the lead channel with the classic V GEQ, or else the rhythm I channel with the GEQ off. Make sure the bass parametric EQ knob is at 2 or lower. If this doesn't do it for you, I'm not sure what will.

Good luck!

Have to disagree with the above, all of the tone shaping and 90% of the gain is from the preamp. This why the MKIV tends to still sound good even on 1, whereas Rectos need to be over 4. You get a tighter fuller sound at volume yes, but again the power amp can only amplify what the preamp sends to it. It can add to it and enhance it, but it's the cascading preamp that makes it special. The reason Hetfield uses low amp gain is because he uses a Tubescreamer or the like. :D

Hetfield's IIC+'s are modified for more gain (++ mod). That's why he sets his gain so low.

Latest posts

Back