Telefunken ECC83 / 12AX7 smooth plate NOS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stratbasturd is speaking sober truth. +1000 for his words. The more informed a buyer is, the better price/value ratio that can be gotten on the 'bay. Yes, tone is far more important than cosmetics, the sound comes from the guts inside the bottle, not the ink printed on it. Know the guts, know the typical tone those guts produce. Fun to learn through personal experience.

I'm sure I have had at least one very satisfactory transaction on ebay with him... my ebay handle is "nyrhd" and yes, it is possible to get very nice used tubes on ebay for much less than the so called NOS dealers. Just a brief comment on "10,000" hour tubes, ratings are one thing, longevity in a combo amp, particularly mid power and higher combo amps, like 10 class A tube watts and above is potentially greatly shortened due microphonics developing from the shaking the tubes recieve from the speaker(s). Another thing that contribues to early preamp tube death is the total number of on/off cycles a tube recieves during its service life. That causes expansion and contraction of tube parts, things loosen up after a while, and voila! microphonics ensue. Jim Marshall had a good idea when he first built his amps as heads sitting on top of a cabinet, but it also pays to put some padding material between that amp head and the cab it is resting on. Sometimes rubber feet on the amp head just ain't enough.

My experience with EI long smoothplate ecc83's in silver smooth plate and gray smooth plate is that they tend to become microphonic or have problems with microphonics fairly easily. I have owned at least a dozen of each. There is a difference in the tone of the EI long smoothplate versus Telefunken smoothplate, the EI's are more gritty in their overdriven tone than the Telefunkens. Telefunken smoothplates have glorious sounding cleans and wonderful control of harmonics when overdriven, smooth and sweetly complex. The best 12ax7/ecc83 tube I have ever experienced for resisting microphonic behavior is the RFT ecc83. Something about those very short plates, heavy bottle, and long mica spacer spokes all work together to that result, and the tone is wonderful in vintage Marshall amps to my ears.

Regarding Tesla ecc803s, the earliest versions were produced on the Telefunken ecc803s tooling, they are a box plate/frame grid design, light yellow printing, gold pins for the most part, and yes, they are strong, phenomenal sounding, and very long lived. I have at least a dozen, and they are my favorite tube for following another tube in an earlier position of a given amp channel, clean or dirty. They make wonderful copies of the original signal coming from the first tube, have no bad manners to watch for when pushed into the dirty zone. The longplate ecc803s Tesla is a later production tube. Another Tesla worth having is identical in appearance to the earlier ecc803s, box plate/frame grid, it is labeled as e83cc, with white printing, sometimes with regular pins, the early Tesla ecc803s frame grid/box plates have gold pins. The fakie Tesla labeled ecc803s sometimes found on eBay have darker yellow printing, gold pins, there is some shielding around the plates that makes it impossible to see between the plates, unlike the real ones, and the getter halo has only one support on top of the a-frame, also the fakies sometimes come in white, red, and black box. My real ones came in a yellow, blue, and white box, but the box is not the important part, is it? :wink:

Regarding Hickok tube testers, I have a Western Electric Cardmatic tester that Hickok made, I trust it for preamp tubes but for power tubes there is nothing better than matching for current draw at full voltage in a real amp circuit. I use a single ended heavily modded Fender silverface "Frankenchamp" to measure current draw from the individual octal power tubes I put in it, with a choice of cathode or fixed bias at the flick of a switch. Even my trusty Hickok cardmatic does not correlate very well to the kind of numbers I get from being in a real circuit, not even close. I test 6f6g, 6v6g, 6v6gt, 6v6gta, 5881, 5932, 6l6g, 6l6ga, 6l6gb, 6l6gc, el34, e34l, el38 (with a wire from pin 3 to a plate cap connector,) 807 with socket adapter, 6bg6g and 6bg6ga with a socket adapter, kt66, and 6550 in that amp.

A Maximatcher does a better job for power tubes due to the 400 plate volts it tests at than a regular tube tester. A regular tube tester uses much lower voltage and is not all that trustworthy compared to measuring current draw in a real world circuit at real world voltages.

As far as using Telefunken ecc83 smoothplate in a guitar amp, their mica spacers aren't all that beefy and it is a longplate tube, so be careful about what application they are placed in. I would not want to take a chance on shaking a bunch of them to death prematurely in a high power combo amp.

Sure enjoyed reading your comments MavGuy... great info and excellent advise! There's ALWAYS more to learn, and you just improved my library of knowledge with that Tesla ecc803 stuff. Thanks for the schoolin'...
stratbasturd

Great topic!
There is indeed much to be said about the quality of the older tubes....mostly good!

I was "lucky" enough to have come across a small stash of old Telefunken (W.Germany), Sonotone (Holland), Rauland & RCA (USA) and Amperex 'Bugle Boy' (Holland) 12ax7 and au7's. :D

I know someone who had some old tube HiFi gear (McIntosh, Ampex) they did not want and I
traded some electronic repair work for all of it. The gear itself is rare and awesome, but the tubes that came from it was the real prize!

For what it's worth, I find the Telefunkens (they are ribbed plate) sound the best. I use these in the first and second preamp positions (generally v1, v2) in my Stiletto and Triaxis.

They have a type of natural compression that is reminiscent of a violin (think Eric Johnson type tone). I hear a lot of people say the Bugle Boys are better, but IMO, the Tele's rule. The RCA (grey plate) are also very good....the others are all better than most of the new tubes out today (although JJ is promising & the new TungSol are pretty good, IMO).

Now, want to hear some bad news? (ya' all might wanna sit down). My father had a desk drawer full (100's) of old 50's & 60's preamp tubes.....RCA to Sylvania...Tele's to Mullard....many types including 12ax7, u7, t7, y7.....the full 9 yards....Likely thousands of $$$$$$$ worth, and he THREW THEM OUT! Did not even ask me! It's OK if you're sick....I still am! :(

So I will keep and guard what I have now.....not for sale at any price.....don't even ask. They do improve the tone of my amps, but be aware that they seem to make less of a difference as you move down the signal chain of tubes (earlier in the preamp seems to make the most noticable difference). Not saying they won't make a difference in any position but if you have a limited number as I do, they are most effective in the early stages of the amp, IMO.

Also, you may come across some old tube HiFi gear at a garage sale or swap meet and it may contain some awesome tubes worth the price alone. :shock:
So keep looking!

Good luck! :eek:

Old BF Shred said:
Now, want to hear some bad news? (ya' all might wanna sit down). My father had a desk drawer full (100's) of old 50's & 60's preamp tubes.....RCA to Sylvania...Tele's to Mullard....many types including 12ax7, u7, t7, y7.....the full 9 yards....Likely thousands of $$$$$$$ worth, and he THREW THEM OUT! Did not even ask me! It's OK if you're sick....I still am! :(

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGH! :evil:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH! :cry:

RRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLFFFFF!

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUIIIIIIIICK!

****, where's that wash cloth? Got hurl all over muh sef! :shock:

Latest posts

Back