Taking a Mark IV to Europe

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btown

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be moving to Denmark from California this summer, and I wanted to bring along my mark iv. I remember there were several posts on how to transport tube amps on a plane, but are there any customs issues I should be worried about?

Anybody had any experience taking a heavy tube amp to europe? (not as a part of a touring group)

Thanks!

You will need an extra outboard power transformer, from 230V to about 117Volts, or whatever the US amp needs.

Tony

You'll want to invest in a good flight case at least. As long as the amp doesn't appear to be brand new you shouldn't have any problems with customs but I don't know the specifics. You should really call the airline you are taking to find out the rules on that stuff.

Greg

tony777 said:
You will need an extra outboard power transformer, from 230V to about 117Volts, or whatever the US amp needs.

Tony

What power should the transformer handle? Is it 3 times the power consumption a safe bet or is it too much?
Thanks

igfraso said:
tony777 said:

Tony

What power should the transformer handle? Is it 3 times the power consumption a safe bet or is it too much?
Thanks

The transformer needs to give the amounts of amperes the 117 volt version says it draws. I have no idea how much this is. But I guess there is a lot of US citizens with a MK IV on this forum that should know.

I was stationed in Germany for 6 years and had to use step down transformers. Get a heavy duty one. By all means don't get one of those "travel transformers" which are made for small stuff. Here's a web site that appears to have the larger ones, I'd personally get at least a 750 watt one for the Mark IV which is probably overkill. They have a formula on the web site that can assist you.
http://www.220-electronics.com/Transformers/trans/stepdown.htm

disassembled said:
You'll want to invest in a good flight case at least. As long as the amp doesn't appear to be brand new you shouldn't have any problems with customs but I don't know the specifics. You should really call the airline you are taking to find out the rules on that stuff.

Greg

+1 on a good flight case. I wouldn't worry about appearance of your amp as you are moving there though. Customs shouldn't care about your personal property if you are moving there.

igfraso said:
Thanks
I gigged my USA voltage Mk3 with a 300W step-down transformer, however at the end of the night I found the transformer was very hot to the touch. I now use a 500W with no problems
Ian

haha I go way overkill on my step down I use a 2000watt trannie,power/electricity should not be messed with thats why I got this baby from a company over here in Britain called newmarket transformers It came in a nice metal casing and has two american plug socket outlets on it

Great company,I ordered on like the monday and was delivered from the bottom of england to me here in the middle of Scotland by the friday

As far as the customs stuff Im not sure but I have heard that it is OK to bring your amps if you can prove that it is your belonging and its not going to be sold thus dodgeing import tax,it seems safe to me,I had to pay around £200 to import my dual rec. but this was a product being shipped into the country for my use it did not belong to me first If ya see what I mean the coutry still have to make the 17.5%vat

Back