Switching relay chatter

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etepbbb

Reaction score
I've had my MV for about 8 months, and bought it used. I was wondering if anyone has experienced an issue I've seen twice now. It an intermittent problem unfortunately.

I had the FX knob set to chan 1 and the chan select to chan 1 this morning and the switching relays started chattering away, it didn't switch just chattered. I switched the FX knob to on all the time, and it went away, however, when on chan 1 the footswitch LEDs all went out. When switched chan 3 through ex. contacts the FS lit up again. I cycled power to the amp and it still behaved wrong. Then, shut down for a while, and all is well again.

The first time this happened, I had the FX and chan knob set to switch through the footswitch. I had just turned the amp on, and it(relays) started chattering away. So this kind eliminates a bad FS cable as it happened when set for ex contacts too.

I intend to bring it in for sevice, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen some flaky things in the switching. Maybe even save me a trip and a 2 week wait for the service. I haven't had any other issues, and the amp sounds great.

Any ideas?

screamingdaisy said:
Loose footswitch cable.

It's something that really needs to be addressed. Seems to happen to a lot of people, including myself. I feel I have to jam the cable ends into the plugs and jiggle them around till it's "just right" otherwise it'll chatter away intermittently. Shouldn't be that way. I'm just waiting for the gig where my foot accidentally touches the end coming out of the footswitch, wreaking havoc. Hasn't happened yet, but it's always in the back of my mind.

I wish Randall would just jump on the midi swiching band wagon, build it into the amp, and get out of the footswitch business. All these **** 8 button footswitches and 9 pin DIN cords are the weakest links reliability-wise. - Pat.

I'm not sure its the cable, as its tight. Also, it flaked out once with the footswitch set, and once with it set for external control.

etepbbb said:
I'm not sure its the cable, as its tight. Also, it flaked out once with the footswitch set, and once with it set for external control.

While the amp is on, slowly pull the cable out, then slowly push it back in. It'll do exactly what you were describing.

screamingdaisy said:
etepbbb said:

While the amp is on, slowly pull the cable out, then slowly push it back in. It'll do exactly what you were describing.
It did, but it shouldn't do anything if the chan select is not set to footswitch right. I had it set to chan 1. Anyway, I need to get it in, just kind dreading the 2 week wait.

I have experienced/still do experience "chattering" in two situations:

1) Loose Cable (as already stated)
2) When turning on the amp and the footswitch is plugged in, you will notice all the lights above the channels on your footswitch are active. Even though the V starts off on the clean channel (when the footswitch is active,) My V "chatters" until I select one of the channels. It's almost like even though the clean channel is active, the amp/relay doesn't understand until you choose a channel.

Don't know if that helps, good luck.

This problem is happening to mine as well. Sometimes it goes into 'chatter mode' on its own without me touching the footswitch or amp. Frustrating as hell. I can't seem to get it to settle on a channel until I tap the head with my hand. I don't know what else to do. It doesn't seem to have this problem just using the channel knob in the back with the footswitch not connected. I need to troubleshoot some more, but it seems the connections are tight. I don't have the head on top of the cabs I'm using so I don't think it's being shaken loose by vibrations. I'll try switching the cable ends.

Make a strain relief by looping the cable around the guard bar on the back of the amp. That way the weight of the cable is hanging off the bar with only a short length going up to the footswitch jack rather than all the weight hanging off the jack.

Alternatively, if your amp has the tube cage in the rear you can loop it around one of the amp's feet.

screamingdaisy: with all due respect, sure that might make the chattering go away, but it doesn't fix the underlying problem. A problem that SHOULD NOT be there on a $2000+ amp

zilla said:
screamingdaisy: with all due respect, sure that might make the chattering go away, but it doesn't fix the underlying problem. A problem that SHOULD NOT be there on a $2000+ amp

I agree, but complaining that it shouldn't happen doesn't do anything to help people actually deal with the problem.

Would you rather I just whine about it every time this topic comes up? Or is it OK that I give them some tips so that they can minimize the irritation?

boogieman88 said:

2) When turning on the amp and the footswitch is plugged in, you will notice all the lights above the channels on your footswitch are active. Even though the V starts off on the clean channel (when the footswitch is active,) My V "chatters" until I select one of the channels. It's almost like even though the clean channel is active, the amp/relay doesn't understand until you choose a channel.

Mine starts with all FS led's light too. The problem is only on chan 1, if switched to chan 2 or 3, the chattering goes away. When switched to chan 1, its back. It only happened 2 times, both times I powered down and walked away for a bit, came back and all is well. However, one time was in FS mode, the other time the chan selector was set to chan 1. I'm sure it's an intermittent on some component, which sucks to troubleshoot until it happen with regularity(right after the warranty :lol: ). I'll get it in, just curious if others have seen this particular flake out.

etepbbb said:
boogieman88 said:

Mine starts with all FS led's light too. The problem is only on chan 1, if switched to chan 2 or 3, the chattering goes away. When switched to chan 1, its back. It only happened 2 times, both times I powered down and walked away for a bit, came back and all is well. However, one time was in FS mode, the other time the chan selector was set to chan 1. I'm sure it's an intermittent on some component, which sucks to troubleshoot until it happen with regularity(right after the warranty :lol: ). I'll get it in, just curious if others have seen this particular flake out.

I just though of one other thing that I have experienced. When I'm not using the footswitch, and I change channels, there is an intermittent clicking/chattering while turning the Ch. Select Knob. Mabey even though it does switch your channels over, when you get to Ch. 1 it gets "confused" or something? Obviously something wrong though. Let us know what they say the problem is. Hope you get your amp back soon....At least electronics can be fixed...I have a brand new ESP Eclipse-II FR with a "lemon" neck on it!!! That's going to be a hard battle to fight as guitar companies expect your strings to be an inch off the fretboard before they even consider something to be wrong with it. I feel your pain brother ahah!

I'm not to worried about the amp, it still works. I just need to clear it with Mesa, as I bought it used from a dealer, so I'm not expecting to much trouble. I talked to them when I bought it last winter, and they registered me for the warranty. I just want to verify it, as the service shop said something different to me when I contacted them. I've called Mesa twice and left a message, they returned the call a week later, I missed it and keep forgetting to call back.

I'd say dealing with ESP over your axe will be worse. Good luck, hopefully they don't give you to to much static, they should stand behind there build quality. A brand new axe, is a brand new axe. I assume you bought it from an authorized dealer, try and get them involved and help push ESP the right direction. They have sale reps. from ESP that handle the store accounts, it'd be an inside contact with ESP that doesn't want bad blood with there retailers.

etepbbb said:
I'm not to worried about the amp, it still works. I just need to clear it with Mesa, as I bought it used from a dealer, so I'm not expecting to much trouble. I talked to them when I bought it last winter, and they registered me for the warranty. I just want to verify it, as the service shop said something different to me when I contacted them. I've called Mesa twice and left a message, they returned the call a week later, I missed it and keep forgetting to call back.

I'd say dealing with ESP over your axe will be worse. Good luck, hopefully they don't give you to to much static, they should stand behind there build quality. A brand new axe, is a brand new axe. I assume you bought it from an authorized dealer, try and get them involved and help push ESP the right direction. They have sale reps. from ESP that handle the store accounts, it'd be an inside contact with ESP that doesn't want bad blood with there retailers.

For sure man. If you registered it with Mesa...you should be good (good idea though...verifying it before you jump into everything.) Sometimes dealers or service shops can be a little "confused." I'm sure you will be cool as far as your warranty goes. Get that chatter fixed and start whaling on that V again!

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Delaing with ESP is going to suck. I can see the run-around and hear the lame/unhelpful answers I'm going to get already. It's not about the money, it's about a guitar that I worked my butt off and saved for a long time to buy. I will do everything I can to get this issue (neck) straightened out. Although I did buy it from an authorized ESP dealer, I have not stepped foot in there in over a year for various reasons. The luthier/dealer (one man show) that I go to now IS an authorized ESP dealer/ESP service center as well, so I'm hoping I can just go through him even though I did not buy the guitar from him. (He also carries Mesa, which is how I came to know him. It's nice to have a dealer that is honest, helpful, and knows what the heck he's doing; three traits that a lot of guitar/amp gear "dealers" lack)

I'd talk to your new ESP guy and see if he'll get involved. Chances are he will, ask him to contact his ESP rep., who is mostly the rep. for the other store and explain the situation. Anyway, good luck, let us know how well ESP backs there products.

Latest posts

Back