switching from humbucker to single coils guitar w/ roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbright

Reaction score
I play a Strat and an LP. It is a pain to switch because of the different gain settings needed for these two guitars. I have a set of PAF's in the LP and Fralin vintage pups in the strat. I have tried using channel 1 for the strat but there is still a mismatch that requires the use of a boost for the strat. it makes very complicated set up and lots of dancing to stay dialed in. I have resorted to using a F30 for the Strat which is a lot more to haul and set up.
Any good solutions?

2000 lp w late 60's PAF's
72 Strat w/ Fralins
Carvin DC400 SD JB and a jazz in neck
F30
Roadster Combo
all kinds of expensive stomps
g major

I kind of have the same issue. I like to rotate all of my guitars, and when I get to my Carvin Bolt (which still has a humbucker but the bolt on neck sounds so much different than my neck thrus), I always end up having to change settings. What you're currently doing is probably the best way to go, either that or write down settings so it's easier to switch. Another option is to get an eq pedal; have it set to work with either the strat or the lp, and switch it on when you use that guitar and off when you're not

Yeah, man. Put a compressor in your chain as close to your guitar as possible. Set the level that you like with the LP and it'll boost the Strat. Set the level with the Strat and it'll cut the LP. Either way, set it to taste and then leave it on all the time.

Put a compressor in your chain as close to your guitar as possible. Set the level that you like with the LP and it'll boost the Strat.

This is how I use my Tone Press when switching from either Ibanez to the PRS....

Laskyman

I will try the compressor idea. I think this might work

http://www.visualsound.net/Pedal_vv.htm

I can set the strat and then just back off the pedal for the lp. the leds would make it easy to be consistent. the unity gain buffer would probably help too.

On my side I'm using a modded BD-2 set to a clean boost when I use my Telecaster. And I turn it off when I'm switching to my humbuckers equiped guitar...and the eq on it is set too add a little more bottom to the Tele sounds.
Works great for me.

I was using a keeley boost to do the same but it was never comfortable for some reason

dbright said:
I will try the compressor idea. I think this might work

http://www.visualsound.net/Pedal_vv.htm

I can set the strat and then just back off the pedal for the lp. the leds would make it easy to be consistent. the unity gain buffer would probably help too.

The idea is that you keep the compressor on - it 'backs off' for you if the signal is too hot and it boosts it for you if it's too weak.

KoskineN said:
On my side I'm using a modded BD-2 set to a clean boost when I use my Telecaster. And I turn it off when I'm switching to my humbuckers equiped guitar...and the eq on it is set too add a little more bottom to the Tele sounds.
Works great for me.

I'm doing something like this currently. I don't actually switch guitars, I just use a Music Man strat-type guitar with single coils, and then step on my BD-2 to get a little more presence when needed (I tend to like the definition and clarity of single-coils for clean and light OD sounds, and the authority of humbuckers for dirtier sounds).

The other guitarist in my band has been using a Seymour Duncan pickup booster lately to do the same sort of thing. It seems to work pretty well, might be worth trying.

Check out the EMG-PA2 and EMG-AB. Both are clean boost you can mount on or inside of the guitar, set the volume boost you need to match your LP and go.

I do the same stuff , strat to lp to esp, got a boss eq-20 that has 9 programable presets and set one for each guitar at high gain and clean, also the level can add the boost you need, that way you dont have to touch the amp!

Back