Studio .22+ vs. F30-The winner???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Anthony

Reaction score
I am weighing selling my modded Studio .22+ to get an F30. The .22 is a good amp, and the gain mod really helps, but it still is too midrangey/trebly for my tastes. I have a MC-90 speaker in there and also have the original VS-12. Is the F30 louder or warmer in the clean channel, are the tubes easier to switch out? (I really dislike the setup for tubes in the .22). I know it is a matter of taste, and I am a loyal Fender amp guy, but I like the portability and the basic sound of the Boogie-any yays/nays are appreciated. Thanks!

When you say you are fender guy I'm assuming you like the blend of preamp / power stage tube gains where (most) Boogie owners like hi saturated preamp gain.

If that's the case, you could change the V1 and V2 tubes to 5751 and 12AY7. This will lower the preamp gain -- not sure if you want to go in this direction -- but for me (not everyone) I find it more useable switching from the clean and lead channels. If I really need that hi-preamp gain, then I'll get something like a Mini Recto (an amp on my list).

I just got a Vox Night Train in a trade ( tweed kit champ trade) and this amp sounds great with G12-30 and Greenback Celestions. I tried it with Celestion V30s but prefer the former combo.

Now if I get a Mini Recto, that pretty much covers me from moderate gain (Vox Night Train) to hi-gain (Mini-Recto) and my Studio .22+ for sale.

Back