Strobo Tuner or Korg DTR1000

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjrake

Reaction score
i'm thinking of getting either the strobo tuner (true bypass) or the korg DTR1000 rack tuner.

does anyone know if the korg has true bypass? that's the only selling point (for me at least) in getting the strobe tuner over the korg. personally, i would love to get the korg tuner (can plug right into my rack, shorter cables), but that true-bypass is driving me crazy.

if it's not true-bypass, does it really suck tone like the TU-2?

-PJ

I would go with a stobostomp just because it is much more accurate and you can benefit from that more than anything else. Peterson also has a rack tuner as well.

You can always use a slave or line out of your amp to send to the tuner and just place it ontop of your rack. Are you using a head or a Pre and Power amp?

Tone suckage is subjective but I personally don't like the idea of having a lot of circuitry between my guitar and amp.

Greg

that's a great idea! i never thought of that...

i'm using a mesa head so i can run the slave out. what should the volume be on the slave knob?

the only thing i would miss is the mute tuning, however, i can always put the amp on standby when i tune.

thanks again!

-PJ

okay, need help here.

i ran a slave out to the rack tuner last night. it worked okay, but could not mute (which i really need onstage!). and putting the amp on standby kills the signal.

since i use a THD hotplate i ran the line out to the tuner and put the hotplate on "load" as a mute to tune. although it got the job done it's not really the best way i want to have my rig set up.

however, having the rack tuner out of the pedal chain made a huge tone difference! (IMO).

so, what would you guys suggest i run my tuner AND still have a mute option, yet keeping the tuner out of the signal chain.

thanks!!!

-PJ

hmmmm...am i missing something here?

i have roadster and plug my amp tuner port to the tuner. how is that going to suck any tone out of my amp?

Fragzilla said:

i have roadster and plug my amp tuner port to the tuner. how is that going to suck any tone out of my amp?

DR 3 channel does not have a tuner out port.

pjrake said:
that's a great idea! i never thought of that...

i'm using a mesa head so i can run the slave out. what should the volume be on the slave knob?

the only thing i would miss is the mute tuning, however, i can always put the amp on standby when i tune.

thanks again!

-PJ

I don’t know what your setup is like but this is what I do.
I have a processor in the loop and everything is midi control so I just created a patch , when I call up this patch the processor kills the direct and effect signal (which mutes the system) and not that this part is needed but the amp also goes to the clean channel. Forgot to mention my tuner runs off the slave.

I use an OLD Korg DT1-Pro tuner, it's been in my rig for the past 16 years or so. It's nothing fancy, but it has always done a fine job. It is a tone sucker from hell though. The way I have it set up is, I run a DI line out of the back of my JMP-1 so it's completely out of my sig chain, but the bad thing is, I can't mute it, but I have never really found that to be a real big problem.

BTW, I hear alot about Strobe tuners, and how superior they are to any other tuner, judging by the price of those babies, I would have to assume so. Would anyone care to shed some light on the matter, and tune me in on a few facts

Thanks

Jason

Fragzilla said:

it wont

A Boss TU-2 CAN suck tone as it is not true-bypass. It'll just add another buffer to your chain unless you throw it into a true-bypass loop.

I also have a Peterson. Its not cheap by any means, but the best strobo out there today: http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=70

autostrobe_590.jpg

I have the strobostomp 2...and it works wonders. It was worth the money just for the accuracy it gives you. It has the 9v out as well so you can power other pedals (although I realize you want it in the rack).

Latest posts

Back