Stripes!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G.

Reaction score
Hi,

I own a MkII from around late seventies/ early eighties, serial 5009.

My question is this, what does all this talk of stripes mean? (black, purple etc)

I cannot see any stripes on the chassis and am curios what the 'meaning' is?

Any takers :)

G.

hi, only markIIIs are of different stripes, not the IIs! MarkIIs present version A, B, C, C+. MarkIIIs instead present version black stripe (or no stripe), purple stripe, red stripe, blue stripe and green stripe (don't remember the exact order, but i'm sure the green stripe is the final version and maybe the most appreciated). The stripe on markIIIs is painted just above the power cord.

Thanks, it all comes clear!

Well pleased with my boogie, it lacks in no department from my perspective. 8)

Not heard any MkIII's to compare tones though so not too clued up on the different colours...

Ta

G.

G. said:

Not heard any MkIII's to compare tones though so not too clued up on the different colours...

Ta

G.

Hey G, welcome - another UK user!!!!

To be honest, I think the Stripe Series is greatly over-emphasised and there ain't a huge difference between them - maybe a little more gain as the stripes progressed.

You will no doubt spend many an hour tweaking them knobs!!!!!!!

G. said:

Ta

G.
so, G., what stuff do you play? do you know which version is your mkII?

Mostly Prog Rock but I am happy playing most stuff (& Jazz). Exception being heavier metal as I am not sure it allows for real tone and creativity (sic) No offense to the players in those genre's!

My boogie is a 1979 1x12 MkII, serial 5009. A 100/60 Simulclass with the 5 Band EQ. Reverb, Presence, Slave out (used once inn the studio but found miking up had better results.

Have you checked out http://www.beegal.com/Registry.htm ???

I also own a 1982 Marshall JMP 50 which is a 1969/70 by the serial number. Cos I love the Marshall sound! :D

Guitars are a Fender 62' Telecaster and an Ibanez 2550E. Might be acquiring a 57' shortly!

Effects are simply an Ibanez TS808, An Ibanez AD9, a Boss CH-1 and a Boss Flanger!

What of your gear? :)

G. said:
Mostly Prog Rock but I am happy playing most stuff (& Jazz). Exception being heavier metal as I am not sure it allows for real tone and creativity (sic) No offense to the players in those genre's!

My boogie is a 1979 1x12 MkII, serial 5009. A 100/60 Simulclass with the 5 Band EQ. Reverb, Presence, Slave out (used once inn the studio but found miking up had better results.

I also own a 1982 Marshall JMP 50 which is a 1969/70 by the serial number. Cos I love the Marshall sound! :D

Guitars are a Fender 62' Telecaster and an Ibanez 2550E. Might be acquiring a 57' shortly!

Effects are simply an Ibanez TS808, An Ibanez AD9, a Boss CH-1 and a Boss Flanger!

that's a nice site! i own a fender standard strat, a cheap cimar guitar, a Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre (supposed to be the preamp version of the markIIC) and two combos (line6 spider for home-playing, and an old italian amp i connect the pre to)...for fx i use a Korg G3... it's actually a very humble setup, i hope to upgrade soon!

welshboogie said:
G. said:

Ta

G.

To be honest, I think the Stripe Series is greatly over-emphasised and there ain't a huge difference between them - maybe a little more gain as the stripes progressed.

Hi WelshBoogie

It does all seem irrellevant doesn't it, bet the guys at Mesa are guru's though?

The MkII looks a little easier to comprehend ito the different versions although I see ppl with all manner of variations.

I have taken pointers on settings from Harmony Central etc and have a pretty good tone as things are!

The only two issues I have are the pop when switching (learnt to live with it!) and the subtle variation from lean to scream when dialling in channel 2!

Other than that I am a happy user, what Boogie do you have?

ytse_jam said:
G. said:

that's a nice site! i own a fender standard strat, a cheap cimar guitar, a Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre (supposed to be the preamp version of the markIIC) and two combos (line6 spider for home-playing, and an old italian amp i connect the pre to)...for fx i use a Korg G3... it's actually a very humble setup, i hope to upgrade soon!

It makes sense to keep things simple, I often plug straight into the amplifier, no effects at all.

I had a Digitech RP5 but I found the sounds were too "processed" for my liking. The two Ibanez pedals are brilliant, the AD-9 has a great tone without ruining the tone, not as diverse as a digital delay but then I've never owned one! :)

G. said:
welshboogie said:
G. said:

Ta

G.

Hi WelshBoogie

It does all seem irrellevant doesn't it, bet the guys at Mesa are guru's though?

The MkII looks a little easier to comprehend ito the different versions although I see ppl with all manner of variations.

I have taken pointers on settings from Harmony Central etc and have a pretty good tone as things are!

The only two issues I have are the pop when switching (learnt to live with it!) and the subtle variation from lean to scream when dialling in channel 2!

Other than that I am a happy user, what Boogie do you have?

Hey G,

I think the Guys at Mesa are Geniuses not gurus!!!!!!

The knob twiddling on the II's and III's are similar and are quite easy to dial in - I gigged a III for nearly 10 years and it was hard to get a bad sound out of it - bar a few minor glitches due to its age and the frequency of gigging (3 times a week!!) it never ever let me down and it was nice to have the comfort of knowing that I was never going to run out of volume headroom!!

I have now taken the plunge into IV territory and I'm loving every minute of it

I think the popping is a common thing with the II and I think this is inherent with the "B" II - I take it you have the model with the switchable channel boost as well?

It may be worth you downloading the III manual from Boogie for a few more tones to play with.

You are in good company on this forum - I have learnt loads!!

What a knob!!! - I should have read the earlier posts - you have an A - cool

My gear consists of (big breath):

Jeff Beck Strat, US Standard Strat, Mex Tele (50's reissue), '62 Gretsch Tennessean, Crybaby and Seymour Duncan PU booster into a 92 MKIVA.

I'll read previous posts in future - see told you I learnt a lot from this forum :oops:

What a knob!!! - I should have read the earlier posts - you have an A - cool

My gear consists of (big breath):

Jeff Beck Strat, US Standard Strat, Mex Tele (50's reissue), '62 Gretsch Tennessean, Crybaby and Seymour Duncan PU booster into a 92 MKIVA.

I'll read previous posts in future - see told you I learnt a lot from this forum :oops:[/quote]

No more I than you! I only realised once I had posted the original question that the stripes apply only to MkIII's (And I own a MkII!) :D

Anyway I can only imagine you're happy with your MkIV, I wanted an all valve amp for years but was unsure of what I wanted.

I played a mates AC30 and a few Fender but was not entirely sold, so I went shopping (as you do) I played a Prosonic 30 and really liked it BUT then I played an F-50 and was blown away by the, (can I call it?) sophistcated tones!

Well I just had to have a Boogie. Now I own one! :D

My other tale is I am currently building a 15W PTP replica of a Matchless Spitfire, it has been a steep learning curve but loads of fun!

I'll tell more when it's done but I am hoping for a tone monster!

G.

PS Envious of you owning a Gretsch, I would love a Duojet!

G. said:

G.,
have you checked the date written in Sharpie on the bottom of the chassis?
A serial number 5009 should have been made in the 2nd quarter of 1980.

Also, does anybody know a site with Mesa registry that works?
Regards

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the info on the date, I had an idea it was made in 1980 now you have confirmed it!

The boogie registry used to be accessible but I can't get on to it any more, pity cos it was a great site... I'll look around and see if it's hosted somewhere else?

What gear/ Boogies have you got?

Back