Stilleto stage 2 , Tubes!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krankitup

Reaction score
What sounds good in this amp, i'm liking the el-34's but i want more, i'm looking into kt77's, any body got feed back on those tubes. ?

I'm looking into a Stiletto. I know KT77's will add to the low end of things. If you alter the pre-amps, call Doug's for a nice combo.

Here are the tubes that I put in my Ace. They are a modified JJ E34L, according to Groove Tubes. Mine were a #5 rating, but I think you could use up to a #7 without any issues. 8)

http://www.groovetubes.com/GT-E34LS__Duet_P1690.cfm

http://www.groovetubes.com/assets/1690_gt_ts0107final_e34ls.pdf

krankitup said:
What sounds good in this amp, i'm liking the el-34's but i want more, i'm looking into kt77's, any body got feed back on those tubes. ?

I have been running the standard Mesa EL34's that came with it. However in the preamp - I have been running (3) early 60's Mullards and the amp sounds awesome. I tried the JJ 12ax7s and found them to be too muddy and lacking clarity in the Stiletto (compared to the mullards). I've been meaning to try the numerous JJ E34L's or the EH 6CA7's I've stockpiled during my Marshall years but so far have been very happy with the stock Mesa 34's...

Tim

JOEY B. said:
Here are the tubes that I put in my Ace. They are a modified JJ E34L, according to Groove Tubes. Mine were a #5 rating, but I think you could use up to a #7 without any issues. 8)

http://www.groovetubes.com/GT-E34LS__Duet_P1690.cfm

http://www.groovetubes.com/assets/1690_gt_ts0107final_e34ls.pdf

Modified? How do you modify a tube?????

Groove Tube E34L tubes are just tested and rebranded JJ E34L tubes....there are no mods done to the tubes.

Rocky said:
Modified? How do you modify a tube?????

Groove Tube E34L tubes are just tested and rebranded JJ E34L tubes....there are no mods done to the tubes.

This is what GT claims:

"Check out the power of this GT exclusive tube we
introduced more than 12 years ago in a special
partnership exclusive with the folks at Tesla, the
factory now called JJ. It interchanges with any
EL34 application and puts out about 15-20% more
power! It also has great tone and it remains one of
our best selling tubes of all time. Why? Because we
specially modified the stock Tesla E34L (a higher
powered variation of the EL34) by adding the exclusive
GT Heat Sink wings to the plates, which stabilize
the operation at higher power levels (read
“higher heat levels!”) by improving the heat dissipation
so all the energy from the plate makes it to
the speaker (instead of overheating the tube), doing
wonders for the dynamics of your tone. This tube
stays tight right up to full power and even in the
most overdriven modes, so your power chords really
have more power!"

They sound good enough to me, and I got them at 40% off retail :D .

I'm new to the boards and just bought a Duece2 last week. And the first thing I did was change the stock tubes to the JJel34l and preamp section also. And man it really helped warm this amp up tone wise. I didn't care at all for the stock tubes to cold and bright to me anyway. I want to try Mullards has anyone else here tried those yet in the Duece yet?

Hate to disagree with you rocky, but they are not just renamed JJ EL-34LS tubes. GT E34LS - are made in the JJ factory but with a GT developed heat sink assembly extruded onto the plate assembly. Hold up a JJ and a GT and you can see the difference without any sort of equipment. GT E34LS is a 30 watt tube. The JJ version of this tube is a 25 watt tube. BIG Difference....

BMarchant

What preamp tubes is everybody using in these amps? And also has anybody changed the rectifier tubes besides the stock mesa ones?

This is a suggested combination of preamp tubes that came from Doug's Tubes the on line tube store. Myself and others on the "Board" have installed
these in our Stilettos with excellent results. You may want to give them a try.

Preamp
(V1) Tung Sol 12ax7
(V2) High Gain JJ
(V3) Penta 12ax7
(V4) Shuguang 12ax7 9th gen.
(V5) Sovtek LPS 12ax7

Riff Blister said:
This is a suggested combination of preamp tubes that came from Doug's Tubes the on line tube store. Myself and others on the "Board" have installed
these in our Stilettos with excellent results. You may want to give them a try.

Preamp
(V1) Tung Sol 12ax7
(V2) High Gain JJ
(V3) Penta 12ax7
(V4) Shuguang 12ax7 9th gen.
(V5) Sovtek LPS 12ax7

Thanks, on the (V5) Sovtek LPS how big a difference would their be do you think if you just left the stock tube in the amp? Is that supposed to be the balanced phase inverter tube?

Has anyone tried the JJz34 for the recto tubes? Or any other suggestions for a different recto tube.

I think that is going to be the next thing I try. The JJz34s that is.
I did ask Doug about doing that when I bought the preamp tubes from him.
He told me to save my money and just use the silicone diodes.

You know how it goes though. They aren't that big of an investment so I am going to get some. I have no doubt Doug knows what he is talking about but it's kind of like listening to your parents when you where a kid. :)

Riff Blister said:
I think that is going to be the next thing I try. The JJz34s that is.
I did ask Doug about doing that when I bought the preamp tubes from him.
He told me to save my money and just use the silicone diodes.

You know how it goes though. They aren't that big of an investment so I am going to get some. I have no doubt Doug knows what he is talking about but it's kind of like listening to your parents when you where a kid. :)

I just talked to a amp tech guy in Seattle and he said I shouldn't do any tube swaps without having the amp biased by a tech based on Mesa specs. I thought with these amps you didn't need to bias?

I bought a set of preamp tubes from Doug for my Stiletto and he said you don't have to bias preamp tubes. The other tubes I don't know. Give Doug a call if that's what your asking about.

Duece2 said:
I just talked to a amp tech guy in Seattle and he said I shouldn't do any tube swaps without having the amp biased by a tech based on Mesa specs. I thought with these amps you didn't need to bias?

As long as the tubes are selected to run in your Mesa you should be fine. Be sure to let the Tube vendor know what amp you have.

Dom

Latest posts

Back