Stiletto Questions,,Ace, Duece, Trident???? Please help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recto-robbie

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me the biggest difference between the stiletto models.
Im not really too interested in the trident because of all the power it offers.
I know the difference in wattage between them and the tube set up.
But is there much of a difference in sound between the ACE and Duece heads????? Or is the only difference the amount of power available??
Thanks for any help

I forgot to ask,,, with the duece having the option to run at 50 watts or 100 watts,,, is there really any noticeable difference in sound between the two?
Seeing that I currently dont need 100 watts of power,, would it be much wiser to get the Ace head or again is there a big difference in sound from this compared to the duece??????? Thanks again

If money is not an issue go with the duece, because you can always cut it down to the 50 watts for home use and 100 watts if you do ever play out.

As to the difference between 50 and 100 watts comes down to two major things. First head room, with 100 watt you will have alot more headroom on the clean channel before it breaks up. However 50 watts the distortion channel will break up alot quicker for more power amp distortion. With 50 watts you also loose a little umph, or not as much bass in other words.

recto-robbie said:
I forgot to ask,,, with the duece having the option to run at 50 watts or 100 watts,,, is there really any noticeable difference in sound between the two?
Seeing that I currently dont need 100 watts of power,, would it be much wiser to get the Ace head or again is there a big difference in sound from this compared to the duece??????? Thanks again

Consider this info from Doug West:

ACE, DEUCE, or TRIDENT?
In Mesa’s Stiletto line, the primary difference between the Ace, Deuce, and Trident is in the power output. With two EL34 tubes, the Ace puts out 50 watts, while the Deuce’s quartet of EL34s can pump out 100 watts and the Trident’s six-pack delivers a walloping 150 watts. But since both the Deuce and Trident have switchable power configurations that drop their output to 50 watts, I asked Doug West (R&D, Mesa Engineering) how the Ace justifies its place in the line.

“In the world of EL34 tone, 50-watt heads have always been a secret treasure,” Doug explained. “They’re tighter, crisper, and the highs seem to respond quicker. It’s got a lot to do with the 50-watt transformer being smaller—it lets those high-end harmonics fly through faster."

That info is taken from this review: http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/2007G1StilAce/2007-G1-ACE.html

I'd do the Ace unless you really need 100W of headroom.. 50W is more than plenty.

Plus the Ace smokes :D

Well that is pretty much what I was hoping to hear.
Now if you guys dont mind me asking a question that im sure will be hard for some not to run with it.

Seriously,, I recently tried a Marshall head and cab, JCM 2000 DSL, and I must say that it sounded real nice. I know that mesa put out the stiletto to compete to some extent with Marshall even though by no means I would assume anybody would actually have a hard time telling the difference.
Can any of you honestly tell me what would or wouldnt give the stiletto the edge tone wise over, ,, say JCM 2000 DSL, TSL.
How about features? Does one seem to have more usable gain?
Does one have more available tones?

I believe from what I read that mesa makes a much more reliable product,, I believe that. I also know many people like one brand and not the other. I hate to say it though,, I really could care less for someones bias opinions because they are a cheer leader or hater for one reason or another.
Again I really appreciate any help and suggestions any of you can offer.

Ive played them both and icouldnt find really any difference except for headroom . I will tell you i prefer the 100 watt option on my Deuce . Its just meatier and much more authority .

Barry said:
Ive played them both and icouldnt find really any difference except for headroom . I will tell you i prefer the 100 watt option on my Deuce . Its just meatier and much more authority .

Agreed. I think with the 100w seting the Duece just has more "punch" at comparable volumes to the 50w setting. It's just a totally different feel.

ive got a 2006 ace head

as youve heard the amp is very bright, but its not a fault of the amp its supposed to be like that , mesa is completely upfront about it in there advertising about how this amp is designed to cut through a live mix. the amp is deffinately not thin but yes its treble heavy. if your not into that its just a matter of dialing the treble and prescence down a bit, not a big issue.when theres a bass and drummer playing beside you and youve got it singing its great, nothing gets lost in the mix.

as for the tsl2000 you asked about, i think it does some really nice od sounds. the cleans and deffinately sustain arent the same as the stiletto. id also say the stiletto has more gain options.(different sounds)

hope that helps

I think something that alot of people forget . Yes its a bit on the bright side but you have to think of these things in the context of a band . Think of all the great classic songs that were done on old 50 watt marshall heads . IMHO those amps are a bit trebly and thin on their own but in the context of a band they shine like the sun . My amp sounds totally different with the band around it than it does on it own .

50 watts is plenty. Blows me away that people think 50 watts will be for home use and 100 watts is for gigs. Volume is pretty much identical (3 db?) between the 2. Headroom will be different but both will shake paintings off the walls of your home.

Jeff Beck and Michael Schenker are 50 watt guys and they o just fine.

If I had the choice I would probably go with the 50 watter. Even 50 watts is too much for a lot of situations. It'll be a lot cheaper to try out different brands/types of power tubes as well.

I had a 30 watt non-master Marshall (JTM45) a while back and I bought it thinking I would be able to push it into power tube distortion with my band. No way! Not even close I ended up buying a bunch of pedals to use with it... got frustrated with it and traded it in. But even that amp had more than enough clean headroom.

As far as being a treble-y amp is concerned - the amp has a lot of high end mids too it but I think it sounds great. Gives the amp a real snarl to it. Besides you really can't judge how an amp sounds by itself you really need to hear it in a mix.

Get the 100W. Don't make a decision assuming that there will be a difference in volume. Like someone else said - it is marginal. A much easier way to drop the volume at home is to use the spongy setting. Just so you know: 50 Watts Bold is louder than 100 W Spongy.

I've heard about the secret love with 50W heads and frankly I can't tell the difference - but I am no sonic god either - just a guy with good taste. If you happen to be a sonic god who can actually tell the difference and like the sound better then get the 50 Watter.

The Deuce is way too cool.

Latest posts

Back