Stiletto Pre-amp tubes!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebrapup

Reaction score
Just changed from Russian Boogie tubes to Chinese Boogie tubes. There was a slight difference, I think the Chinese tubes are smoother. Less jagged sounding. But, not by a ton. Curious about what tubes in the preamp will possibly tighten low end, and if it will be necessary to change all 5 tubes. My thought was to get a matched phase inverter set with 1 additional tube for the effects loop, from somebody. I'm leaning toward Tung Sols by what I've read here on the forum. But would go the GT route if someone has had luck or good results with them. I too, like many here, would have enough of the little bottles around, that I couldn't care less about longevity. It's the sound. I've replaced V1,and V2 so far. :?

"If it sounds good, it is good." EVH-1978[/quote]

What amp model are you using? Ace, Deuce or Trident?

Chinese Pre-amp tubes are very bright sounding... Russian are dark sounding... so a mixture will balance things out. Russian and Chinese pre amp tubes have about the same amount of gain. Chinese pre amp tubes really buzz. I dont care for them in the first stage.

I like them for my reverb driver tube and effects loop. Doesn't matter what they sound like in therebut they brighten a dark sounding amp.

I use a Tung-Sol re-issue in both V1 and V3. Smooth. If you are looking for a pre-amp tube with alot of gain for V1, put in a JJ 12AX7 in V1. Not as smooth as the Tung Sol but they do scream. Spend a few extra dollars and get the JJ matched and balanced to be sure its not microphonic. If you don't like in V1, use for your Phase inverter. It doesnt matter there.

I also recommend a set of SED =C= power tubes. Smooth creamy overdrive. These are the best new power tubes right now, 6L6 or EL-34. Believe me, I have tried them all. They do really sweet cleans and crushing overdrive.

My setup. In my Nomad 45 combo 112

V1 Tung Sol 12AX7

V2 JJ 12AX7 ECC83 short plate design.

V3 Tung Sol 12AX7

V4 Chinese 12AX 7

V5 Chinese 12AX 7 Matched and balanced.

Power tubes JJ ECC 83 these are the best EL-84's right now.

My Rivera's are the same for pre amp tubes except the EL-34's are SED =C= Killer sound. Very smooth break-up.
Rivera's are an EL-34 based design amp.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I've got the Ace. That is very helpful. I've done quite a bit of research and there was a good post in the modern amps forum. I e-mailed groove tubes and never saw their reply, I don't know if they got back to me or not, as I have to share my email address, and things can mysteriously get deleted. Plus I'm too lazy to do web based email. Oh well. Thanks again.

I did some comparison testing with several pre-amp tubes in my Stiletto Trident. I used the stock Mesa 12AX7 as a baseline, and compared them to the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH, JJ Electronics' ECC83S (high gain), and Groove Tubes GT12AX7-C. The tubes were tested in the V1, V2, and V3 sockets, with a "regular" JJ ECC83S in V4 and a balanced JJECC83S in V5.

The best combination I found for my taste is:
V1: Groove Tubes GT12AX7-C
V2: Groove Tubes GT12AX7-C
V3: JJ ECC83S (high gain)
V4: JJ ECC83S
V5: JJ ECC83S (balanced triodes)

Honestly, running the high gain JJ's in V1 and V2 killed my clean channel. They have a "dark" tone. My clean channel sounded dull and lifeless... similar to what you would hear from a solid state amp's clean channel. It wasn't BAD, it was just dull.

I just ordered some of the Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7 to try out. Everyone has been raving about this tube, so I figured I'd give them a shot.

I should also mention that in my power section I'm running six of the JJ KT77. These tubes are MONSTERS! They are slightly larger (height and diameter) than the stock EL34, but are a drop-in replacement. A matched sextet of the KT77 was $98 from Doug's Tubes including shipping insurance. If you can spare the cash, you OWE it to yourself to give these a try :twisted:

Latest posts

Back