Stiletto HW mod review vs JSX

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunyok23

Reaction score
I got the amp yesterday from a forum member and tried it today. hooked it up to the traditional 4x12 with an ibanez jem.

channel 1's crunch is really nice.comparing it to jsx crunch, it is more articulate.although jsx's more rounder,spongier and seems easy to play it lacks punch which the stiletto's crunch has.

going to ch2, there's only a tad difference between ch1's crunch and ch2's crunch.titegain is tight and fluid gain has saturated gain.

this is a bright amp.very much alike with the laney gh50l that i had. it cuts thru and the distortion seems really natural and not compressed as with th jsx. if you listen to paul gilbert or have seen him live at G3, you would have notice how his guitars cuts like knife because of its brightness compared to Joe's JSX.IMHO.

what i like though with the JSX is the sustain and feedback it can give with ease.

i find much similarities between the stiletto and the rectifiers.seems like it has the same attack just without the boominess of the DR's.if you turn the bass knob of the red channel down of the dr's and with el34's i think this is sound really close to the stilleto.

having said all these i still have to spend more time with the stiletto and compare it with JSX as im planning to keep only one.

I used to run a bunch of different overdrive and distortion pedals through it on a 4x12 for some the best solo sounds I ever heard.

I had a jsx 212 combo and i've got to tell you it was not reliable at all. Within 6 months the reverb stopped working, some of the pots broke (theres cheap plastic under them there knobs!), and it wouldn't make it through a gig without droping all volume. They never could tell me what was the problem, i think they ended up re-soldering a lot. The last gig i had with it, it cut out middle of the 3rd set. I sat out for 4 tunes just cuz I was that pissed. THe following monday i had a mesa roaster on the way....stick with quality, you'll pay more but it is so worth it.

oh i believe mesa quality.they are way better than the others. just by looking at the contsuction you'll know.

here she is...with her twin...

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

here's my entire setup...i re-arrange them so its more tidy..

IMG_2244.jpg

:shock:

Um, I need to show these pics to my wife so she'll stop giving me crap about spending so much on my one, lonely little Stiletto Ace combo. Bunyok23, you got one serious guitar orgasm going on there! Nice rig 8)

If Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and John Petrucci ever stopped over at once you'd be all set :)

Cool gear. I never liked the Peavey drive it always seemed very forced and grainy especially in the Ultra series.

Greg

Andy Timmons could stop by as well! Yeah... my wife complains about me spending $$$ on my gear as well :)

disassembled said:
If Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and John Petrucci ever stopped over at once you'd be all set :)

Cool gear. I never liked the Peavey drive it always seemed very forced and grainy especially in the Ultra series.

Greg

they dont have to bring their guitars either coz i have em :wink:

the good thing about high end gear is you can sell them at the price you both them. so tell your wife you're just trying it out. my wife really understands my tonal needs

Back