Speakers/ Studio DC-2 question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reilly

Reaction score
So i just picked up a really clean Studio DC-2, it has to get looked at by a tech because there is a ton of noise, hiss and pops coming through the speaker and no guitar signal seams to pass through. (ive ruled out the tubes changed all of them and the amp is not blowing fuses, after about 10 min the amp seamed to work mostly fine. Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong with it?

My other question is speaker related, im not sure i really love the stock speaker, i am used to closed back cabs and super tight bass. V30s are my go to speaker, i didnt like the C90 in my mark iv combo and also tried the Eminence Delta Pro A and didnt love that either. Any suggestions? How about a Greenback?

Also is there any reason to stay with a 50w speaker (which is stock) since the amp is only 22w

You can go with anything 25 watts or more I would think.
But If you push the amp I bet you wear out some 25 - 30 watts speakers.

I put a cannabis rex in my 22+ and the grin won't come off my face!!
There is something about that speaker that just sounds good.
if you come by one try it... they soound good new but go to nirvana after the break in... all this ofcourse is only MHO.

i have read some positive things about the cannabis rex, is it good for heavy stuff? Hard rock/prog metal?

reilly said:
i have read some positive things about the cannabis rex, is it good for heavy stuff? Hard rock/prog metal?

Not sure.. I play old school blues/hendrixy type stuf. I think it would prolly suck super hardcore metal. But hard rock it may work... never tried with that stuff.

I've had a Private Jack in mine for quite a while now and it works great for me. Blues, rock, clean, dirty....all of it sounds good! 8) I didn't care for the original V30 at ALL!!
It does sound especially good when I plug my 2x12 Recto into it along w/ the PJ. Pretty close to perfection!

Im pretty sure these didn't come with a V30, Its a eminence relabeled as a black shadow vintage, plus real v30s are 60w not 50w. But i agree i don't really like the stock speaker at all. Just seams lacking overall with no character

for $120 you can have a custom-built Weber made to your specs. I swapped out the Black Shadow in my Studio Cal for a British Series Ceramic 30 watt with 55Hz Mueller cone and light doping and it brought back the usability of the treble control and presence knob. The bass from far away is tremendous!!! It's also very organic sounding - it has a nice spectrum of harmonics. I'm not sure if the 55Hz cone is a great idea on this dark of an amp, but I like a nice big bottom.

interesting, could be an option, my biggest concern is that i can get enough bass out of the combo, i def want a big fat tone that is also clear. I have never played any Weber speakers.

There is a guy locally selling a Eminence speaker for $20, i think it is more of a flat response speaker similar to the Eminience Delta A Pro. Might be worth trying for $20. I think it is a BETA-12A.

Latest posts

Back