Speaker Suggestions For 40 Watt MK1 Reissue Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Gilbo

Reaction score
Hello Boogie People,

This is my first post but I've been reading The Boogie Board for a few years. It's a great place to research info.

I need your help. I've been playing a MK1 Reissue Combo since 2002...best amp I've ever bought. I play a Les Paul Std. (1988) with a Planet Waves cable...that's it. A little over a year ago I re-tubed with 4 JJ/Tesla 6V6 tubes to bring the volume down to a more club friendly 40 watts...love the tone and love those tubes. Now I'm thinking of swapping the C90 stock speaker with something that will improve the tone even more. I'm leaning toward the Celestion Vintage 30 (60 watt) speaker but I'd like to hear your suggestions and experiences with the configuration that I use.

Thanks For All Of Your Help,

Blue Gilbo

Blue Gilbo said:
A little over a year ago I re-tubed with 4 JJ/Tesla 6V6 tubes to bring the volume down to a more club friendly 40 watts...love the tone and love those tubes. Now I'm thinking of swapping the C90 stock speaker with something that will improve the tone even more. I'm leaning toward the Celestion Vintage 30 (60 watt) speaker but I'd like to hear your suggestions and experiences with the configuration that I use. Blue Gilbo
I have a Vintage 30 in my 50 watt Traynor combo and highly recommend it.

What sound are you going for?

6V6s, Mark I reissue, are you using "Tweed" setting? => Sound you are going for "Fenderish" sound.

When running 6V6's you have to have the power switch in the `Tweed' setting (MK1 manual).

I stiil play my MK1 the way it was designed (pre amp settings according to taste and master according to volume required). The 6V6's allow me drop the volume somewhat to suit the places or situations that I play.

To add to my previous post...

I guess I'm looking for a little more speaker movement/distortion to add to the tone I already have. Most of the time I only plug into Output 2. This allows me to turn up the master volume more and get those 6V6's really cooking. But a 40 watt amp into a 90 watt speaker doesn't get much speaker movement. I don't want to blow the speaker...just get a little more performance out of it-know what I mean.

Perhaps your Fender analogy isn't far from what I'm trying for. How about a `Fender plus a little more'.

I even considered unloading my Boogie for a vintage Deluxe Reverb but the Boogie is such a well made amp...

Blue Gilbo said:
When running 6V6's you have to have the power switch in the `Tweed' setting (MK1 manual).
:oops: Opps, sorry
Blue Gilbo said:
I stiil play my MK1 the way it was designed (pre amp settings according to taste and master according to volume required). The 6V6's allow me drop the volume somewhat to suit the places or situations that I play.
I'm very familiar with 6V6s since I have a Fender Champ, and Princeton with these tubes.

What's your style? 6V6s are great for blues and rock 'n' roll thing up to Classic Rock.

I prefer Webers. Then even make vintage sounding 'Jensen' better than modern Jensen themselves. But Jensen is not a bad choice either.

Vintage 30's is a great all around speaker, give you something for every style but if you are looking for specialization Weber makes fine speakers.

Then Eminence Red Coats and Patriots are another good choice with their line of Legends.

Then if you really want to round out your distortion go with Tubby Tone.

There's big selection out there.

It is a Tone Tubby and that is what I would suggest I love these speakers with my MKIIC+. I also use a Fane 100 alnico in my Combo but only because they don't make a 100 watt Tone Tubby (40 watt).

That's the alnico hemp cone hp version.

908ssp said:
It is a Tone Tubby and that is what I would suggest I love these speakers with my MKIIC+. I also use a Fane 100 alnico in my Combo but only because they don't make a 100 watt Tone Tubby (40 watt).

That's the alnico hemp cone hp version.
Opps, Tone Tubby.

Well why don't you get two Tone Tubby? Heh, heh $$$$

Seriously, I e-mailed http://svvintageamps.com/ looking for moderate gain classic Rock he suggested the Tone Tubby as well some Celestions (the two Heritages), and Webers (Blue Dogs).

So how is that 100 watt alnico Fane? I love Fanes too. I have both pair of Crescendos and Axions and planning to get the 100 watt$ Alnico. They got such a bell tone like Hiwatts (duh).

Thanks Dudes for all of your suggestions.

My style is all blues right up to blues/rock. Love early Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green, Danny Kirwan) all well as all Bluesbreakers (Clapton, Green, Taylor) not that I could play even close to that. I guess that's why I'm leaning toward a Celestion.

Another choice if you want to spend the money it is the Celestion Alnico Gold. Supposedly sounds the same as the Celestion Alnico Blue, but is rated for 50 watts. I'm considering this one myself, just waiting for more reviews/opinions.

RR said:
I prefer Webers. Then even make vintage sounding 'Jensen' better than modern Jensen themselves. But Jensen is not a bad choice either.

Vintage 30's is a great all around speaker, give you something for every style but if you are looking for specialization Weber makes fine speakers.

Then Eminence Red Coats and Patriots are another good choice with their line of Legends.

Then if you really want to round out your distortion go with Tubby Tone.

There's big selection out there.
Freaking guy thinks he's Cheer's Character Cliff Clavin when it comes to speakers, Mr. Know-it-All :?

Relax Guys, my experience with different speakers is minimal so I appreciate any advice or opinions.

I went ahead and purchased the Vintage 30, Made the speaker swap and waited for my wife to leave the house so I could take it for a proper test drive. At low volume I get a bit more of an aggressive tone...very nice. At higher volumes...BEAUTIFUL. I get a nice bit of edge and a great snarl to my tone.

With my limited experience I'd say that the C90 has a smoother tone to it. The Vintage 30 has a rougher, edgier, snarl to it. Sort of what I was looking for.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Blue Gilbo said:
Relax Guys, my experience with different speakers is minimal so I appreciate any advice or opinions.

Blue Gilbo, look at the above post and the person that responded. It was me making fun of myself.

I think you'll like the Vintage 30s. I have a 4x12" half-stack and find them the most versatile for my liking.

But I'm working on two guitar amps : restorting a '69 Fender SF Princeton and a 5F1+ Allen Amp Kit and did some research and e-mailing Scott of SVVA (South Valley Vintage Amp) and post up recommendation of speakers for these two amps. I got all sorts of different response. Some I'm narrowing down my search.

Good Luck with the Vintage 30's. :wink:

Okay RR, I see that now...you had me going there.

I'll let you know how the speaker sounds at the first jam session (coming up soon).

Good Luck on your speaker search and thanks again for your help.

Okay Boogie People, had our jam session last night and I thought I'd let you know how it went.

Set up our equipment in the rehearsal area and played some classic blues...ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. Even the other guys noticed a change in my tone...more aggressive and more bite. After playing about 45 minutes with a big smile on my face I happened to glance down at my amp...I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! I had mistakenly put the wattage switch in the 20 watt (down) position. But I was still able to play with the band volume wise. In fact, I still could of cranked it up more if I had to but it wasn't necessary. After that experience I'm a complete convert to lower wattage amps. It took a long time for me to figure that out but I'm glad I did.

I now call my Boogie my Boogie Deluxe Reverb (after the venerable Fender Deluxe Reverb).

Latest posts

Back