Speaker Ideas for Mark IV combo???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I am turning my Mark IV into a combo.

I need a speaker.

I hate the MC-90, no breakup-too stiff, have never tried the EV.

Looking for really great Cleans with just a little bit of breakup, and Leads like Carlos.

I am currently running 4 6V6's, but really like the tone of 2 E34L and 2 6L6 also.

I am thinking Weber.

Anybody using any speaker other than the Mesa speakers in their Mark IV's?

I have tried several speakes because I never really cared for the C90 or the EV. I know a lot of people like them; but they just had not personality IMO.

I did not like many of the speakers that I tried that had high power rating +75 watts. They were just too clean.

I did like the Emimence Wizard in my combo but I ended up just going for a Celestion Vintage 30 in the end. I am just careful not to run the combo too hard with just one speaker.

But I'm sure that my tastes are different than yours. I actually like a guitar speaker to add some breakup and personality to my amp when pushed.

For me, I prefer the sound of a closed back cabinet for distorted sounds. The open back is good for clean but I found the combo to be a little disappoiting when compared to running it through an over-sized closed back cabinet with a V30 paired with G12H30. This combination alone sold me on my Mark IV. Until then, I kept seaching for ways to like it.

But that's just me,

Brett

altec417.jpg

I ended up with this. The Altec 417-8H alnico speaker... yes it's a "high power" speaker but the alnico magnet gives it a softer edge to my ears, a little more compression and fatness at high volumes. **** nice speakers and it does handle the power quite nicely.

I like the looks of that Altec. Where did you get it?

I thought about the Vintage 30, but I don't want to have to be careful not to blow the speaker. I want to find something that can handle.

I emailed Ted Weber and he suggested the Weber Thames with Ceramic magnet and light doping (story of my life).

I think I'll order one Monday.

Hi all,

I'v tried several speakers with my MK IV combo in the past. I came back using the stock EVM 12 L Black Shadow. IMO one should consider, that especially the small size combo likes to produce a little bit focused sound, so that the tone seems to be too 1-dimensional and somehow steril, at least regarding clean sounds. My experience is to use the combo in combination with a open ext. cab, in order to get a more 3-dimensional sound. For my personal taste I got best results with the V 30 or the MC 90. A really huge 3-D sound one can get using two 1x12 Thiele cabs loaded with EV's via a good effect device and stereo amp. Combo>Dry tone Thiele>Effects!
I also have to agree of course, that the MK IV sounds very good with the Altec 417 8H ! ( I own two of them ! )

regards

I probably will pick up a 3/4 or 1/2 back Mesa Cab to go with it later.

I just need an amp that can fit in some really small places and sound great.

I have a DC-2, but it doesn't have the headroom to fill a huge room. It is great for smaller venues though.

I just got hired to play in a local band and the stages here are smaller than the bathroom stalls.

I think I'll go with the Weber and if I need something else, I'll worry about that later.

I had a Widebody 1x12 1/2 back cab for years, it was very nice.

Hi Squigglefunk,

yes that's a awesome speaker. I also own one of this Altec 417 8H Series II version beside 2 further 417 -8H. these Altec's not only sound very good with a high gain amp. I tried them also with low wattage tube amps around 17 watts ( 2 x EL 84 ). Also excellent tone due to the fact, that these Altecs are speakers with a high pressure sensitivity of 100 dB (1watt/1meter)

regards

Latest posts

Back