SOB info.. Thinking of buying one.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funwithdirt1

Reaction score
I searched the Forum but got no results..Maybe I did something wrong..

I am looking at a white Son of Boogie head, and was wondering if anyone out there had any info on the the head.. Opinions, history, etc. I can't find much online about the head, notable users, teec..
I have little experience with Boogies, but am not a fan of the recto series.. I liked the dc-5, but this SOB, when pushed, has some of the most organic, rich crunch I've heard. Especially with a ts808 in front of it..

I liked it, but it is such an odd amp as far as the limiter, etc, that I wanted second and third opnions..

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
-James

I think it is a very underappreciated amp.I own one,although I havent seen it in a few years,it was loaned to a friend.But when I had it I had no complaints.Some describe it as a bad imitation of a MKI,it is similar in sound and with the right tubes biased just right I think it is every bit as good as any Boogie I've played.In fact,when I first got my IIC+,which was stock,the SOB sounded better till I tweaked the IIC+ till I got it right.The limiter function is pretty useless,IMO,but isnt necessarily a detraction,just leave it maxed.They can be had for less $$$ than most other Boogies because of the misguided bad rep they have,if you like the sound and the price is right I would say go for it.I got mine in the late '80's played it regularly till I loaned it to a very good friend who took it to Fla with him and still uses it regularly,so I have to say it is as dependable an amp as any,mine is a 60/100 watt combo with an EV,your speaker choice will have a big impact on how good it will sound,so choose carefully.

Back