Slave out on the five, is it for recording? How so? Thanks

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Gregory

Reaction score
So I have never used the slave outs on my iv or my v but understand that they can be used for recording if I have heard correctly. I have a new mbox pro and figured I try it out and compare with the tones from micing with an sm57. Is all that is necessary for me to do is connect the slave out to one of the direct inputs on the mbox pro? I have never used the slave out feature before so I appreciate any pointers. Thanks!

Ben Gregory said:
So I have never used the slave outs on my iv or my v but understand that they can be used for recording if I have heard correctly. I have a new mbox pro and figured I try it out and compare with the tones from micing with an sm57. Is all that is necessary for me to do is connect the slave out to one of the direct inputs on the mbox pro? I have never used the slave out feature before so I appreciate any pointers. Thanks!

1) Your amp MUST be connected to a load of some sort, whether it be speakers or a dummy load. Failure to do so will destroy the amp.

2) On the Mark V, it is tapped off the output transformer and padded down to line level. What this means is that it will only work if you have the amps master output turned up somewhat and can't be used for silent recording... unless you have your amp plugged into a dummy load.

3) With the above in mind, run the slave out into any DI box and record it with your laptop. Remember that you may need to use some speaker/cab sims to filter the raw signal.

screamingdaisy said:
Ben Gregory said:

1) Your amp MUST be connected to a load of some sort, whether it be speakers or a dummy load. Failure to do so will destroy the amp.

2) On the Mark V, it is tapped off the output transformer and padded down to line level. What this means is that it will only work if you have the amps master output turned up somewhat and can't be used for silent recording... unless you have your amp plugged into a dummy load.

3) With the above in mind, run the slave out into any DI box and record it with your laptop. Remember that you may need to use some speaker/cab sims to filter the raw signal.

ok. THanks! Sounds simple enough.

Latest posts

Back