Mark VII - Silent Practicing

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USA_Patriot

Reaction score
The manual mentions that silent practicing is possible and there is some mention to an internal load. But, the manual does not seem to clearly explain exactly to connect things to ensure safe operations without a connected cab.

Can the amp be turned on without any rear connections (e.g., no cab, no headphone, no XLR)?
Does the internal load only engage in a certain scenario (e.g., headphones have to be plugged in)?

I typically want to practice with a recording and record directly to a DAW. To do this I run Direct Out from the Mark VII to a sound board to mix the recorded audio and use the headphones on the sound board. I would then run USB out of the Mark VII. So the only rear connection would be the XLR from the Direct Out and the USB connection. Is that safe to do?

Thanks for the advice!

I would like to know the answer to this also. It’s the one thing the manual is not clear about. I thought plugging in the headphones would kill the speaker and it didn’t. I am afraid to unplug the speaker after over a decade of never ever do that haha.

From what I understand you can run the mark VII without a speaker load due to the cab clone+. I've done this for recording in a pinch. It should be safe

In the headphones section, the manual states this:
"NOTE: When using Headphones with no speaker connected, it’s best to keep your Channel Master levels below 11 o’clock. You should be able to get plenty of output level with the Input and Output Controls, and it will help reduce wear and tear on your output tubes."

So this gives me some concern that the "silent" feature even in the appropriate configuration (and I don't really understand what the appropriate configuration is) is safe in terms of not blowing up the amp, but not can still cause some negative effects.

Yes, it is OK to just unplug the speaker whenever, no matter what (or maybe nothing) else is connected. That’s been my experience also, no issues so far. The internal load automatically kicks in. So, there is no ‘speaker on’ switch. Either plug a speaker in or don’t!

>Can the amp be turned on without any rear
>connections (e.g., no cab, no headphone, no
>XLR)?

Yes.

>>Does the internal load only engage in a certain
>>scenario (e.g., headphones have to be plugged
>>in)?

No, internal load engages in any scenario when the speaker is disconnected.

In the headphones section, the manual states this:
"NOTE: When using Headphones with no speaker connected, it’s best to keep your Channel Master levels below 11 o’clock. You should be able to get plenty of output level with the Input and Output Controls, and it will help reduce wear and tear on your output tubes."

So this gives me some concern that the "silent" feature even in the appropriate configuration (and I don't really understand what the appropriate configuration is) is safe in terms of not blowing up the amp, but not can still cause some negative effects.

They are just saying that if you run you channel master high, like at noon, you are cooking the power tubes even though you may not realize it (headphone volume low). So, the negative effects of this is just running the power tubes all out full on, it is not because ’silent mode’ is being used. Silent mode is safe even when running masters high.

In other words, if running all out full volume with a speaker you’ll know if because your ears will bleed. The power tubes are also wearing and tearing (not harming them, of course). This same tube strain may not be obvious with ‘silent mode’ because your ears aren’t bleeding.

They are just saying that if you run you channel master high, like at noon, you are cooking the power tubes even though you may not realize it (headphone volume low). So, the negative effects of this is just running the power tubes all out full on, it is not because ’silent mode’ is being used. Silent mode is safe even when running masters high.

In other words, if running all out full volume with a speaker you’ll know if because your ears will bleed. The power tubes are also wearing and tearing (not harming them, of course). This same tube strain may not be obvious with ‘silent mode’ because your ears aren’t bleeding.
That makes sense. Thanks again.

Back