Slave out and recording

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lol77

Reaction score
Hello. I want to buy mesa boogie dual recto, but i have a few questions.
Slave out is same as Line out? I plug cable to slave out and to line in on sound card in computer when i have impulse cabinet, and i can play?
Amp must be connected with cabinet, or signal come from preamp? When i have connected amp and computer with slave out, cabinet is silent or no?

When someone have a preview sound/song recorded with slave out, please throw it here 8)

Thank you a lot and sorry for my poor english :mrgreen:

You'll have to have a speaker connected to the amp. You can use the slave out as a line out to record with. It's taken directly from the output transformer, not the preamp, so it will have the tube sounds from the power amp.

Just make sure you have the speaker connected, or you'll fry your amp. It will also make sound when you're playing.

It doesnt sound great as a line out to me . Clean is ok , a bit noisey . but distorted is bad.

Im going to be trying this soon. Useing the slaveout into my interface and record that signal.

That signal alone will sound like crap. Maybe clean will come out usable, but with distortion, and no speaker for it to go through, yuck. But running that through impulses, it can sound amazing. Ill be using recabinet at first. Once im done all post some track here.

Ya, it definitely sounds like *** by itself but used with impulses it sounds great. I'd recommend trying the Redwire impulses, they are phenomenal!

Each amplifier without speaker simulator sounds alone like ***. But with impulse sounds good...

Could someone record some metal tones and upload it? I would like to try as it plays with impulses... :)

Thanks a lot

Nobody can find just a minute to record a few distorted tones? :(
I want dual recto, but I do not know how it sounds through the slave out. Its important for me :?

Lol77 said:
Nobody can find just a minute to record a few distorted tones? :(
I want dual recto, but I do not know how it sounds through the slave out. Its important for me :?

Sorry, I cant do mine for a while. I have an electrical problem in my room where I plug in an amp things start to shock me and fry out other electronics. If I didnt have that problem I would of brought my amp over a while ago to do this stuff.

I know this is an old thread but it is the first one that pops up on Google.

I would suggest a Two-Notes Torpedo Live LoadBox.

I am experimenting with the slave out recording direct with various cab impulses with my mesa dual recto. The results are nothing spectacular. I can get similar results using Amplitube3 w/ the same impulse. My ElevenRack sounds way better. I am using a dummy load from parts express.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/sho...skim690X1299Xa577bea5ba224322412dad2595ec2768

This lets me safely bypass using a cabinet so I can record silently.

I have heard good things about the Torpedo Live and would jump on it if I wasn't going the AxeFx route soon. I need to record late at night and can't crank my head. I have looked into Iso cabs, etc. but decided to just go with the AxeFxII.

I will post a clip up soon. I want to experiment with bring my Channel/Master volumes down.

ampman2042 said:
Getting ready to buy one of these myself... H&K Redbox DI.

I have heard good things about those as well. With the built in cab sim, that could be good for live use as well.

Here is a short clip of the Dual Rectifier recorded direct using the slave out with a cab sim/ir.

http://soundcloud.com/dan-holman/mesa-boogie-dual-rec-direct

The woman is asleep so I could only strum a few chords VERY lightly. :wink:

Sounded much better with the volume LOWER (around 9o'clock) and the slave out at about 3o'clock. Double tracked. R/L are using different cab impulses.

I used the recto red channel. I didn't tweak it at all from my live settings. I just plugged it in and did it quick.

Sorry nothing too fancy. I will post up something mixed and tracked well when I have some time to do it.

I like the idea of using the record out as well. I have an Allen/Heath Mixer that I use for my small home studio with KRK monitors etc. The AH has a great 4 EQ section IMO that allows you to taper and control the tone to actually sound decent in the overall mix. I haven't used any cabinet IR's or experimented with any IR's but just now learning about how to use and apply them (any help would be appreciated). My only main issue is getting the 'air' sound but assume that's what the cabinet IR does for you?

I'm pretty sure the slave out is meant to be used for an external power amp, it does not use the power section of the amp! Hence the paper thin sound quality!

jbird said:
I'm pretty sure the slave out is meant to be used for an external power amp, it does not use the power section of the amp! Hence the paper thin sound quality!

any preamp will sound like garbage like this... you need a mic/cabinet impulse afterwards via software or two-notes torpedo.

Sounds fantastic either way. Better than modeling imo

jbird said:

Actually slave out is after the power section. It is padded down though. Since the signal isn't shaped by the speaker it sounds wrong, and thus the need for cab sim. I use recab3. Pretty decent.

Latest posts

Back