Single Rec/rectoverb gain setting

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRazMeister

Reaction score
Just curious...I read the manual again and they suggested something left of noon for a "High Gain" lead sound. I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with my ROV! There is absolutely no way I could get a high gain lead sound with the gain on anything less than 1:00 o'clock (PM of course :lol: ) The main difference is that I use Vintage mode instead of the recommended modern. Note that I'm not a metal guy and basically sound like Gary Moore or Neal Schon (if they played Mesas)
Any thoughts on this?

hm Ive got one rectoverb and i play metal with gain on 1 oclock and boostin it with a maxon od808 .this is on the modern channel and it got pleny of gain with this setting. turn up the volume maybe or more treble

How loud are you playing?

I just got a Rectoverb, and I had the gain at about 9:00 when I was jamming at my house into my Randall Iso box. At rehearsal last night, though, I was able to turn up the volume, and I had to turn down my gain. It kind of seems like the Rectoverb gets a LOT more gain-heavy once the power tubes start to kick in.

This is mainly at home volumes but even at gig levels I rarely have the gain less than 1 o'clock which would be 6 on a 0-10 knob
When you say 9:00...that would be the equivalent of 3 on a 0-10...is that correct? That would be almost clean for me.

sixtonoize said:
How loud are you playing?

I just got a Rectoverb, and I had the gain at about 9:00 when I was jamming at my house into my Randall Iso box. At rehearsal last night, though, I was able to turn up the volume, and I had to turn down my gain. It kind of seems like the Rectoverb gets a LOT more gain-heavy once the power tubes start to kick in.

The key is that your gain sounds really good or really bad dependent of the other knobs. I have a high gain sound on vintage (not that chugga chugga gain, but more subtle for lead and rythm riffs) with gain at 1, treble at 2 or 3 (!), mid around 11, bass at 12, presence at 9 and pre amp at 9. All clock values. Then the power tubes volume around "loud for bedroom, so they neighbours and innocent bystanders can enjoy"

Now the trick is, of the volume goes down, you have to add more gain. Or perhaps more treble. Then you have to lower your mids and bass, or increase it. Perhaps also your presence...get it ? It is kinda tricky. But there is enough gain around noon. Hey I even play high gain on pushed mode!

By the way, mytubes are now almost 6 years old so there is still plenty of juice of you have new tubes!

That's cool...1-2 seems to be the sweet spot for me with other controls nearly straight up. The only reason I was curious is becuase of the manual putting the gain at 11:00...which is not enough for the type of sustain I'm looking for.

chennie said:
The key is that your gain sounds really good or really bad dependent of the other knobs. I have a high gain sound on vintage (not that chugga chugga gain, but more subtle for lead and rythm riffs) with gain at 1, treble at 2 or 3 (!), mid around 11, bass at 12, presence at 9 and pre amp at 9. All clock values. Then the power tubes volume around "loud for bedroom, so they neighbours and innocent bystanders can enjoy"

Now the trick is, of the volume goes down, you have to add more gain. Or perhaps more treble. Then you have to lower your mids and bass, or increase it. Perhaps also your presence...get it ? It is kinda tricky. But there is enough gain around noon. Hey I even play high gain on pushed mode!

By the way, mytubes are now almost 6 years old so there is still plenty of juice of you have new tubes!

I got my rectoverb a week ago, and I am using this in my house (probably 90% of it's use will be here) and I'm with you.
At low volumes you have to turn up the gain, but I've been running mine thru a hotplate today and with the master at 5 the output at 3 (which without the hotplate would be too loud for at home jamming (this is is only 50 watts? for real?) and th Hotplate cut back -8dbs) I just finished up a Dream Theater "Train of Thought" jam session and with the gain at about 1:30 with a clean boost in front it sounded f'n thunderous. Nice and chunky and clear. Really Nails Petrucci's tone on this CD. (well close enough :D )
I noticed that the louder I turn up the "Output" control the more gain I get.
I'm dying to try this amp in a Band situation so I can actually open it up and see what it's capable of, but with the hotplate I've been able to get a great high gain tone at a very managable level.
The one thing I did notice is that when I do get a great tone going on the modern mode playing lead or rhythm on my bridge pickup sounds great.
Playing lead on my bridge pickup sounds surprisingly thick (I'm very happy about this) but when I switch to my neck pickup any string lower than my D string is muddy. (I've got a set of BareKnuckles in my Carvin 7 , great sounding pickups).
I need more time to fool around with this.
Got the MXR 10 band EQ working in the loop today too!!!
I'm really starting to love this amp :D

Back