Singing leads and big cleans with 2 MXR Carbon Copys

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldTelecasterMan

Reaction score
So I watched an Andy Timmons gear video and he talked about using 2 MemoryMan delay pedals. Singing leads and chorusing caused by the delay pedals set 350ms and 500ms. Well at $300 a pop buying 2 of them was not gona happen. I get great tone with nothing. I do use a chorus pedal sometimes for cleans and basically just leave on the MXR Carbon Copy. I had an old digital delay pedal so I put it in the chain after the Carbon Copy. I could hear potential. But I didn’t like the sharp sound of the digital delay. I picked up another Carbon Copy yesterday and Wow! I left my settings alone on the first, my original, Carbon copy as it is very subtle with the settings I have. I then did my best to make them sound the same. Then I set the delay time a little longer on the second delay pedal in the chain. It sounds like a lot more than just a delay. I’ll play rhythm with just my normal delay engaged then hit the second and leads just sing, cleans sound bigger. I engaged the “Mod” on the first pedal and it really made a difference. I didn’t like it much but I could really hear a change. Engaging both of the "Mod" switches and it was a bit much.

So if you can give 2 delay pedals a shot.

Hmmm...nice! I own recently a MXR CC. One CC by itself is a great spice to my sound. I'm intrigued by your "menage-a-trois" experience. Might try it soon. Thanks!

ok... I got the idea from Andy Timmons. I leave one delay on all the time and I set it for how I want my main sound to be. I set the second delay in the chain with just a little longer delay time with all the other settings the same on each. I make them not too noticeable but they are in no way hidden. What good would that do. I'll use both of them when ever I am doing something clean and in a drive channel if a lead just needs a little more push and sustain.

I have read some people say the MXR Carbon Copy sucks tone. Well I do not have that problem. They have a sound yes but I like the way it sounds. I have a digital delay and I don't really like it, To me digital sounds sharp, thin and way too much out front.

Here is the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz3h5jOb6dw

Latest posts

Back